Thread: school me on trailers

school me on trailers

We are looking to buy enclosed cargo trailer for business we are going to be running. We figured might add well get trailer the size to fit other fun stuff in ie. Bikes,atv,maybe a snowmobile.
    Looking at 7x14. But do you think 6x12 would work?
    Also don't know anything about the breaking system. Do I need electric? And if I buy standard with no d-rings installed, can I install myself

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful, hate me because I'm better than you, better yet, hate me because I'm fuckin bad ass!!!"

Re: school me on trailers

Size just depends on how much you want to haul. I have a 7x14 tandem axle that I've been pretty happy with. I've got it setup with two Pit Bull trailer restraints in the back, and have had a third bike in front of those two. Brakes I would say depend on what you are pulling it with, and how much weight you intend to have in it. It's not going to hurt to have them, but whether you need them or not is a different question.

Installing tie downs is generally pretty easy, although I would seriously think about running some strips of E track and then buying d rings (or whatever tie down style you like) that clip into it. It gives you a lot more flexibility in tie down location.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

We would be pulling it with a 1500.
    We would be pulling inflatables inside (jumpy castles)
    and then whatever toys the future holds for us.
    Strips of E-track..... what is the best way to install that, since all trailers (except really expensive ones) have particle board as flooring and side walls.
    My experience they rip quite easy.

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful, hate me because I'm better than you, better yet, hate me because I'm fuckin bad ass!!!"

Check your tow vehicle's manual regarding brakes. Some require trailer brakes if the total weight exceeds a certain value. I think that Colorado requires brakes if the trailer exceeds 3k.

My travel trailer has electric brakes and a good controller helps quite a bit. You can adjust the braking pretty easily. Some controllers (Tekonsha P3) even have the ability to have settings for multiple trailers.

The only experience with track install was on an older covered trailer. It wasn't particle board, it was plywood so I would be surprised if a newer model trailer that size has PB. If you end up with PB, why not get a sheet of plywood and then cut it into sections and place on the bottom of the floor (underneath) to reinforce the flooring? I would also recommend some form of flooring cover before you start. Paint it, install tiles, something to make cleaning and sliding items around the trailer. I used a textured roll on paint that was hard and easy to clean, but didn't get slick when I had spills.

How to install, I laid the strips out, marked the holes, double checked the bottom to ensure I had access and wasn't going to drill anything bad, then drilled holes and used bolts / washers with locktite. No issues with the tracks ever moving or pulling up. IF you have PB flooring, just add half inch for a sheet of plywood to distribute the pulling across larger area.

Brakes are a nice add on, hammer the brakes once and when a "bigger" trailer pushes you, you definitely wish you had trailer breaks. Doesn't sound like you will have weight issues, but they are a nice safety feature.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Oh maybe that what I meant Ply....
    The texture paint is a great idea! And I didn't even think of the E-strips!!! LOVE IT!!!

Thanks all!
    The information is very useful!
    Last edited by Cat118!; Tue May 5th, 2015 at 11:27 AM.

It does look like side walls are particle on most and ply for floor

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/5006849285.html

That actually OSB, not particle board.