Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog/puppy adoption or one that needs a home

Dog/puppy adoption or one that needs a home

So we are finally getting ready to looking the second dog. My q to the COSBC is, anyone have or know of someone who is getting rid of puppies (or young)?

I normally go through the humane society or adoption/rescue companies, but figure another way is to simply ask who on the board knows of canines needing a home. Perhaps before they end up going to one of the above.

Generally speaking, we are not breed specific but do have a tradition of black lab mutts. This is a family dog, not a show dog. So outside of healthy, being certified, pure isn't a selling point. Does need to a breed that is generally good with kids, i do have little ones. Only things I stay aware from are
    1) excessive shedding, i hate it
    2) tiny dogs, 20lbs full grown is about the smallest we are interested in
    3) Somewhere in the middle of the energy range
    4) not a drooling breed

But i am open to breeds meeting the above, not stuck on black labs, they just happen to meet the needs and I have always had good luck.

Anyone? Otherwise I will be heading to some rescue events at the end of the month.
    If no ideas, what have y'all used for rescue agencies? My current buddy came from CO Puppy Rescue 3 years ago, but if someone has a relationship with another agency, I am all about friends of friends.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Re: Dog/puppy adoption or one that needs a home

MaxFund, great people, and do great work with animals.

http://www.maxfund.org/

https://www.facebook.com/maxfundanimalshelter?fref=ts

Chocolate Thunder

Please send me a IM with your number.

Good Man

My wife is big into this so I'll see what she has to say....always showing me these sad stories but we already have two dogs and a short fence.

How do you feel about Pitbulls? I only mention them because so many get put down simply because of their breed and most are great dogs; I've personally seem them around children and never seen any issues.

Either way glad to hear you are looking to adopt
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Good Man
    My wife is big into this so I'll see what she has to say....always showing me these sad stories but we already have two dogs and a short fence.
    How do you feel about Pitbulls?
    Either way glad to hear you are looking to adopt
    All 4 dogs I've had as an adult have been adoptions, only 1 was an issue animal. I think if I had more time and a taller fence, I would have been able to work through the issues. Like you indicate, plenty of dogs need good homes, I don't see why I should pay extra money for breeder dogs. Works for others, I just want a good pet.

Oh pitbulls..... I personally have no issue, certainly with a puppy. I will say I don't feel like having to deal with the potential issues if we move, COS has no bans but other places do, so between that and not wanting to deal with people going "oh, you have a pitbull...." Since I am neutral on the topic, I don't feel like putting myself out there for this potential battle, I have plenty already.

Funny you mention the short fence. I put up a tall fence on my property line because of the dogs, and now am being sued by my neighbor for an adverse possession lawsuit based on a 1250 sq ft wedge of property. Which is, according to property pin placement, mine. Any attorney's out there wanna work for free, I am tired of bleeding money.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    All 4 dogs I've had as an adult have been adoptions, only 1 was an issue animal. I think if I had more time and a taller fence, I would have been able to work through the issues. Like you indicate, plenty of dogs need good homes, I don't see why I should pay extra money for breeder dogs. Works for others, I just want a good pet.

Oh pitbulls..... I personally have no issue, certainly with a puppy. I will say I don't feel like having to deal with the potential issues if we move, COS has no bans but other places do, so between that and not wanting to deal with people going "oh, you have a pitbull...." Since I am neutral on the topic, I don't feel like putting myself out there for this potential battle, I have plenty already.

Funny you mention the short fence. I put up a tall fence on my property line because of the dogs, and now am being sued by my neighbor for an adverse possession lawsuit based on a 1250 sq ft wedge of property. Which is, according to property pin placement, mine. Any attorney's out there wanna work for free, I am tired of bleeding money.
    When I was young I got my first dog (Bulldog) from a breeder, but now that I have got older and realized the adoption problem I will never again go to a breeder. Honestly full breeds have way more issues than mixed breeds anyways because of all the inbreeding over the years.

I hear you on the Pitbulls man….sad but that is why I am sure so many do not get adopted when people would like to give them a chance but stupid politics stand in the way.

What BS about the fence…..people complain to much. Guess they would rather have a dog jump into their yard at will then complain about that. Good luck man.

I did tal to the wife and she also recommended any Max Fund adoption centers; theya re truly no kill and I would rather support them than a shelter who keeps their “inventory” low to keep on budget.

I was looking at MaxFund website and came across a “Rhodesian Ridgeback / Mix”. I’ve heard nothing but great things about these dogs and pretty sure a purebred Ridgeback is pretty expensive. Maybe check this one out http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Rho...eback-27000263

Couple more I saw that may interest you (sorry I know you can look this up yourself but I got curious and had to see what was there for adotpion):
    German Shepherd / Mix: http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Ger...pherd-27666909

Retriever, Labrador / Mix http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Ret...rador-24049416

Australian Shepherd / Retriever http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Aus...pherd-21020273

Awe, thos old guys too need a home (
    9 years old and 14 years old,.poor guys to spend their last years in a shelter; at least is a a no kill shelter):
    Retriever, Labrador / Mix http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Ret...rador-24727620
    Retriever, Labrador / Shepherd http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Ret...rador-27715932

Ridgebacks. We had one when I was in HS. He was HUGE! I don't know if he was full bred but he was a rescue. And huge, but he was a great dog. I have been watching some of the Ridgeback adoption groups. Hope he is available in 3 weeks when we are ready, might need to ping them before hand.....

I am reevaluating my "no older dogs stance" due to some of the upsides. Just leery of the baggage that comes with old dogs. But i am softening to the idea. But it does make me sad for an old dog to spend years in a shelter.

Haha, looking at your links. I already saw some of them as well. I did notice they are cheaper than the place I went to before, notably cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Ridgebacks. We had one when I was in HS. He was HUGE! I don't know if he was full bred but he was a rescue. And huge, but he was a great dog. I have been watching some of the Ridgeback adoption groups. Hope he is available in 3 weeks when we are ready, might need to ping them before hand.....

I am reevaluating my "no older dogs stance" due to some of the upsides. Just leery of the baggage that comes with old dogs. But i am softening to the idea. But it does make me sad for an old dog to spend years in a shelter.

Haha, looking at your links. I already saw some of them as well. I did notice they are cheaper than the place I went to before, notably cheaper.
    Well I hope it helped out and let me know if I can help more. Keep me updated of what you finally decide on

Yeah man seeing those two older dogs made me sad; so unfair that they have to go through this at the end off their life. I don't know the situation, but make me mad someone could take a dog to a shelter when that old as they have to know the chances of adotion are low. I could never do that to my dogs.

P.S. In case you are wondering my bulldog is a rescue; had major behavior problems and medical issues nobody wanted to deal with (especially with no AKC papers). He has turned into a great dog though! Although even now I am looking at $7K to get his tail removed. Our other dog is a terrier mix and was three days away from being put down. I never liked small dogs before, but he has changed me.

Will do on what we do.

I agree, never had little dogs growing up, never cared for them. But my little Rat terrier changed me on that opinion. Image. Why? because dog pics. RIP little buddies.

I always had real dogs when I was younger, Dobermans and Dalmatians. Now that I have little pretend dogs I will not likely go back. They are pretty awesome.

Good on you for going the rescue route. My pup's a rescue as well... Got her when she was a psycho 2 year old lab, and now that she's a 10 year old door mat, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, as for the small dog thing. My parents' pugs changed my mind like Bueller... These were absolutely the coolest little dogs in the world. If I get another dog when my pup's gone, it'll be a small dog.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Also, as for the small dog thing. My parents' pugs changed my mind like Bueller... These were absolutely the coolest little dogs in the world. If I get another dog when my pup's gone, it'll be a small dog.
    If small dogs are good enough for "The Rock" they are good enough for me too

The little guy that changed me (reminds me of a old Asian man....or Master Splinter)
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue May 12th, 2015 at 01:41 PM.

Since we are sharing.... Have had Molly 8 years she was returned to the shelter 3 times before I got her.

The only time that asshat people made me happy.

hey, if every thread turned into a dog picture thread, we'd get less done but the world would be a happier place.

PS, no need for cat pics, they have their own weird corner of the internet.

Cant believe you got lucky enough that 3 people returned her.

doggeh thread...

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

To be fair she's left her mark on three couches trying to get a ball/toy and has a gland problem.... No worse than the kids though.... IMO

MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Check out www.lifeisbetterrescue.org it's the rescue my ex and I founded (she still runs) They have a large adoption event coming up this weekend with a huge range of dogs available.

https://www.facebook.com/LifeisBetterRescue?fref=ts
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Bella looks awesome. Get her Capt. I have a Sheperd/collie mix. It's a nice combo. The collie takes the edge off the drive of Sheperd and the Sheperd takes the edge off the stupid of the collie. Mine is about 45-50 lbs, which is a good dog size. Not too big, not too small.

My guy is also a shelter dog. He was at the shelter twice before I got him. I have never been able to figure out why, he's such an awesome dog. I grew up having big dogs and Chico is my first small dog, I don't see myself getting a big dog again. I'll likely pick up a shelter dog again as well.

I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Maybe Chico just needed someone cool to chill out with

I want a dog
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

All ours are rescues

Hailey was adopted from a Denver area Lab Rescue, Buddy was from Western Australian Shepherd Rescue. They were the two best traveling dogs we had, but both passed on during our travels. Miss em both. Hailey was your typical lovable dumb Chocolate Lab, Buddy was sweet and very much attached to Ann.

Cooper the Red Heeler was from Rezdogs, via the Longmont Humane Society. He's having to learn the ins and outs of being a sofa dog after running with his packmates on the reservation. Loves to run, smart, but also with a stubborn streak.

The black Border mix (who might be named Dillon) is a foster who arrived last week from a Dallas kill shelter, we are nursing back to health. He's a real sweet boy who was probably abused or hit, but he's learning to trust and has picked up "sit" already.
    Last edited by asp_125; Fri May 15th, 2015 at 01:19 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

So many people with rescue dogs, good to see.

End result is a member on the boards has a dog/puppy they need to find a home for. Dog they need to let go, and want to send to a home (has yard is a perk I can offer). So many rescues and so many puppies......