Thread: Opinion: what's your best insurance company?

Opinion: what's your best insurance company?

I've been reading up that USAA and State Farm are notoriously rough on you and like to drop people who have had a 4 point ticket (or an accumulation of 4 points)? Heard good things about AllState and Progressive otherwise.

I bought State Farm for my home and truck policy (they won't insure bikes). In my quote, I admitted to the past two tickets I had that year (one 1 point, one 2---after a lawyer...) so there were no hidden surprises. I hadn't had a single violation since I bought the policy but in April when my policy was due to be renewed, I received a letter from State Farm saying they would no longer cover me.

Progressive has been great for me. For some reason even though I had a good insurance policy through my job, I decided to get additional medical insurance through my motorcycle policy because--motorcycles are fucking dangerous and the bills can add up fast. Sure enough, I got in a wreck shortly after quitting my job so I was uninsured at the time so that Progressive policy saved my ass. They took care of everything, my premium never even went up. Today I got in an accident in my truck and the agent said I will not be dropped, but my premium may go up. We'll see how that goes, but for now I have nothing but great things to say about Progressive.

It's amazing, you would think that having a local agent would make things smooth, but I can't tell you how many times State Farm screwed up my policy. Somehow I was paying for somebody elses Acura for 3-4 months before State Farm figured it out so my own car was UNINSURED that whole time even though the money was coming out of my account. Progressive is all online and I've never had an issue.

What's your story? Any horror stories or any companies that are highly recommended?
    Last edited by GMR; Mon May 11th, 2015 at 09:33 PM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Opinion: what's your best insurance company?

USAA uses progressive to cover bikes.

I got on with USAA having a 4 point ticket on my license. I have had no hiccups with them at all and really like them. Although I did just get another ticket so we'll see
    06 GSXR 750

I have everything with AmFam and will be looking to change after my current claim is paid. My neighborhood was hit with a bad hailstorm last year. My neighbors all got $35k+ to repair their homes. AmFam started me out at $7k and my contractor had to fight for 6 months to get $14k which still won't cover all the repairs.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Progressive is awesome and super cheap. It is a different arm than the car part of the business, and I have the LOWEST rates ever for my ZX14.

I've been happy with Geico for 10 or so years. Two claims and couple tickets, no issues.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

USAA is loyal and has taken amazing care of our family for 3 generations. The few times that I have had claims or rung up a ton of points (when I was younger) they stood by me. Their process has been instant and fair for car and home claims.

I did leave for a short time because their rates were weird and they wouldnt take a look at adjusting them (My $10,000 commuter Civic was $3,000 a year to insure).

Ph03nix is correct, Progressive handles USAAs Motorcycle insurance. Since the change I feel like I am treated like a n00b by progressive, that would be my only complaint.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

I also use USAA + progressive. I have had no issues. I left StateFarm and saved money when I transferred 4 years ago.

1 cited accident, no tickets and 1 full payout for a car mushed by a tree. No issues on coverage nor them threatening to drop/change. No complaints.

I expect it is like everything else, the majority of the people who use are happy and don't complain, the minority of people complaining have a legit for their circumstances, but it likely doesn't effect the majority of people.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I have had State Farm for many a year for my house, cars, and bikes. Replaced a couple of roofs due to hail, a couple of windshields due to Colorado. Never any issue, never a rate increase. Every time I try and get a quote from another company it usually comes in at double what i am paying now.

Marc

Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

I have USAA+ Progressive on the bike as well. They have been good enough, but I don't have any claims, so who knows what they are really like. I was not able to get a good quote for a ZX14 however, so perhaps each policy is different with them.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Chocolate Thunder

I have state farm as well, all has been good on bike and care. Just received my we are dropping you after for my house because I filed claim last year for sewage back up and then 2 mnths ago for roof damage. Great, apparently there is something about Colorado where if you have 2 claims they can drop you and now I am labeled as high risk. Whatttttt, it not like I set my house on fire. One was natural disaster of roof by wind and the sewage was kids putting rocks in the outside sewage line. So now I am high risk...wtf. Told today by Progressive and American Family I have to find a colorado based company that is not big corporate and suck up the Extra cost of Home Owners Insurance for 3 years when my record clears.

I work for nationwide insurance but I have Allstate for everything. I used to have progressive but they dont sell homeowners insurance so when I bought a house I switched everything at the same time to Allstate. They worked their asses off on my hail claim last year to help me out. I have hears american family is not the greatest when it comes to paying for hail claims as far as new roofs are concerned and heard that from 3 of my neighbors.
    My home insurance is pretty cheap at $899 for a year and my bike insurance is $360/year for my ninja 636 with full coverage 10k medpay and $100 comp and $240 collision deductibles. With my employee discount at nationwide I couldn't beat that so I have Allstate.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

So I just killed AmFam and went with Amica. They currently don't cover bikes, so after some reading it appears that Allstate and Progressive are on top for motorcycle insurance. I'd like to hear from folks that have had a claim with either company and your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    So I just killed AmFam and went with Amica. They currently don't cover bikes, so after some reading it appears that Allstate and Progressive are on top for motorcycle insurance. I'd like to hear from folks that have had a claim with either company and your experience.
    While I have not had a claim with Allstate, that is who I am insured with. I am a claims adjuster for Nationwide Insurance and have my insurance elsewhere with Allstate mainly due to the discount. But Allstate is pretty on top of their game when I deal with them. As far as insurance goes, if you can afford to get medpay, get the best coverage you can get on that as that covers medical bills for yourself and your passenger on the bike regardless of fault and chances are if you go down you will get hurt. Allstate was selling up to $10,000 which was the highest I found for any company at the time. Geico will only offer up to $5000.00 for that same coverage.

One other good thing to know for those who don't. Chances are if you are hit by a car or the accident is their fault, you will get injured. And In the state of Colorado the minimum required liability limit is $25000/50000. This meand up to $25000.00 per injury up to a max inclusive of $50000.00 per accident. If you get hurt, your injury and med bills will most likely be in excess of the state minimum limit. Some people carry better insurance which is great, but most do not as it's obviously cheaper to have lower limits. So one of the coverages you can buy is Underinsured Motorist Coverage, which extends beyond the other person's limits, this is a good thing as chances are your injury and bills will be pretty high if hit on a bike. Due to this, this specific coverage is VERY EXPENSIVE on a motorcycle to get.

There is a trick to the above. In Colorado there is a law that allows your Underinsured Motorist coverage on your automobile to extend over to your motorcycle if you are with the same company for both carriers (auto and bike). Obviously if you are in a car, tha chances of being severely injured is a lot less than if you are on a bike. Therefpre that coverage is much much cheaper on your automobile than it is on a motorcycle. So it is suggested that you get the best Underinsured Motorist Coverage you can get on yoru automobile and waive the coverage on the motorcycle. You can get it on your motorcycle which is fine, but it is very expensive. But since the coverage on your car will extend over 6to you on a bike, and it is much cheaper, then it is best to get the most you can afford on your car.

Along with your own personal Bodily Injury liability coverages, in the state of Colorado there is a family member/household member exclusion when it comes to extending over to your Bodily Injury Coverage. This means if you carry a passenger on the back, say your spouse or child, and they fall off or are injured. Your Medical Payments coverage is the only coverage that will extend (so it is best to have that) as they will be excluded from being covered under your bodily injury coverage for making a claim for their injuries and pain/suffering against you. This is actually why many Harley Riders who on their way up to Wyoming or Sturgis will swap wives on the back of their bikes aand then swap back once they hit the border. As if your own wife falls off your bike they cannot collect an injury claim but if your friends wife falls off the bike they are allowed to collect an injury claim.

Overall, the best thing to do for a motorcycle is to buy the best Medical Payments coverage you can get to cover you and your spouse or passenger on the bike for medical bilsl should you fall down or get hit regardless of liability and fault. And then get the best Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury coverage you can get on your personal automobile policy as it will extend over to your motorcycle should someone else hit you and it is their fault and they do not have enough coverage to take care of everything. Also this coverage floats on top of their limits. For example, if someone hits you and they are at fault and you are severely injured and end up having surgery and are in the hospital for a while, and say they have $100,000 Bodily Injury Limits, that is ALL they can afford to pay for bills and pain/suffering. But if you have Underinsured Motorist coverages of say $250,000, it will float on top of what they had so you would have a total of $350,000 for total injury bills and pain/suffering.
    Last edited by UHATEIT; Tue Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Progressive is out, they quoted me $800/year. I pay $130.

Call my boy Nate Chavez here at Schomp Allstate, they have pretty good rates for motorcycles right now. Nate Chavez 720-449-3013, tell him Damir sent you
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Progressive is the most expensive out of all the insurance companies, for me at least. Tried quoting my 2013 zx6r and it's 300 a month for what I consider basic insurance.

I also have USAA and the company is amazing, really wish they would insure motorcycles.
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

If you don't need full coverage, I'd check with Progressive and I highly recommend them. They were all I ever used when I had my bikes insured. My last plan cost me $110 a year for liability, for my 03 GSX-R1000. The highest I ever paid with them was around $130 and that was back when I had my R1. Having a perfect driving record obviously helps(only ticket I've had was when I was 19, and I'm 35 now).

I had State Farm when I first started riding and they were a rip off.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

The other one I've heard really good things about is Dairyland. A buddy had an RSV1000R Factory that was 2 years old at the time. He had an ok driving record, but it wasn't squeaky by any means, and full coverage cost him something like $160/month.
    I've had good luck with Progressive myself, but I've never filed a claim with them. Granted, my record isn't the best, but my rates are reasonable for what it is.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

We had farmers for about 18 years, with excellent coverage on a house, and several cars/motorcycles (Between 5-10 at any given time). I got into a 50/50 fault accident while running my Dad's business in his delivery van. No injury, no damage to our van. Farmers advised they wouldn't be covering us, claiming we falsified information and purposely insured it for personal, and not business, use. We had no idea we needed to specify. And didn't hide anything. Drove it to the agent when we bought it, with the company logo printed on the side! Well this made me liable for damages and criminal charges, so we had to fight like hell. Finally, after filing several complaints, including a few to the State of CO, they gave in and covered it. Didn't cost them a dime since it was 50/50, but then wanted to double our rates.

We dropped Farmers that day. Clovis steered us to Warrior Insurance Group, and they have been phenomenal. Cut Farmers rates in half for equal or better coverage. Warrior is a Christian value company, and it shows, they go above and beyond for us on a regular basis, despite just being the agent/broker. I highly suggest them. (719) 425-2121. They are just the broker, but I haven't been able to come close to their quotes anywhere else I've tried, and that includes specialized Law Enforcement insurance agencies.