Thread: Trip: Things To Do In NY City???

Trip: Things To Do In NY City???

The wife and I are planning a trip to New York City in a couple months; we have never been there and thought it would be a cool place to visit. Anyone got suggestions on things to do there? And recommendations or tips? Any must see motorcycle events/museums? First time really on East coast so it is all pretty new to me.

We are staying right on Time Square at a hotel called Room Mate Grace (125 W 45th St). No car, but is right next to subway.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Gold Member

Re: Trip: Things To Do In NY City???

I hear the bubbagump shrimp place is really good bro.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    The wife and I are planning a trip to New York City in a couple months; we have never been there and thought it would be a cool place to visit. Anyone got suggestions on things to do there? And recommendations or tips? Any must see motorcycle events/museums? First time really on East coast so it is all pretty new to me.

We are staying right on Time Square at a hotel called Room Mate Grace (125 W 45th St). No car, but is right next to subway.
    Hope you guys have a good time! You should try to see a Broadway show if you can. They are pretty cool usually. Taking a ferry ride is fun and going to liberty and ellis island are neat too. Walking around the old World Trade Center area and Wall Street can be interesting. I love NYC. The people are usually really nice. Watch out for those little shops around Times Square that sell electronics and stuff though.

Food food and more food, the variety of food out there has got to be out of this world man.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Someone told me about the New York Pass and that is one there...nice, thanks.

I need to read into details but seems like a good deal https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'm throwing around the idea of heading out to NY for the Belmont Stakes on June 6th. I have seen sooo many near-misses for the Triple Crown in my lifetime that I'm starting to lose faith I'll see one before I die. I'm trying to convince myself that if I head out there to watch it live, I might catch a winner this year.

The whole thing may be a bit of a longshot (no pun intended) but you never know. Either way, GO AMERICAN PHAROAH!!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Definitely go to the 9/11 museum, it's fascinating...
    Statue of Liberty is pretty cool too, but it costs extra to get up inside the statue itself.
    Battery Park is pretty cool.
    Explore Central Park too.
    Union Station is pretty damn cool. Absolutely huge!
    The main library is also pretty interesting to check out.
    Times Square is fun to walk through, but if you plan on buying anything, plan on paying tourist+ prices. (NY prices, plus tourist prices.)
    Little Italy was cool to walk through, but it's mostly replaced nowadays with Chinatown.
    We checked out the churches too. Amazing architecture.

We were there for a week too, and were dead tired at the end of it.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Not sure if you have kids or not but the biggest toysrus is there too haha.

Wrider covered most of the high points. My GF is from there, so I've been going back to visit once or twice a year for about 6 years now. I would add...
    9/11 museum is very well done, but I didn't visit till my last trip 2 weeks ago. I found it, as you might expect, a very somber experience. Kind of a downer for a vacation, but if you're interested it is well done.
    A trick to see the Statue of Liberty without the hassle of lines/cost/tourists of actually going there, is to take the Staten Island Ferry. It's the cost of a subway ride and takes you across the harbor fairly close to the Lady and gives great views of lower Manhattan.
    You can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, which is fun
    The best way to power tour the city is by bike (bicycle). We have bikes at our disposal there, so we tour around Manhattan every trip. It's a great way to see the city, provided you're comfortable on a bike. There is a bike path around the entire southern tip of Manhattan all along the shoreline. And Central Park by bike is great. There are plenty of bike rental places around.
    Greenwich Village has lots of little shops and bars, restaurants, comedy clubs.
    Empire State offers a phenomenal view, but be forewarned, it's normally a hellacious wait. I had a 2 hour wait when I went and the people we went with this trip had 1.5 hour wait. And the wait is like waiting for a ride at Elitches, so you're on your feet the whole time.
    Ride the subway. It's a great way to get around and is great entertainment.
    Museums are great. I prefer MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) or the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art). MOMA is mostly paintings, sculpture, etc from the masters like Picasso, etc. The Met is almost more of a natural history museum with all kinds of cool artifacts (antique gun collection, suits of armor, etc.) It is also the largest by far. It would take days to see it all. I didn't care for the Gugenhiem. Way too weird shit. Lots of "this is art?" moments there.
    And of course there's a Ducati dealership in Soho that I stop in whenever I'm in that area.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I'm throwing around the idea of heading out to NY for the Belmont Stakes on June 6th. I have seen sooo many near-misses for the Triple Crown in my lifetime that I'm starting to lose faith I'll see one before I die. I'm trying to convince myself that if I head out there to watch it live, I might catch a winner this year.

The whole thing may be a bit of a longshot (no pun intended) but you never know. Either way, GO AMERICAN PHAROAH!!
    Nice….you ever been to NY before? This will be our first time so I am getting excited! We kind of have been throwing the idea around for a few years and finally said heck with it and just booked it….do it man!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Not sure if you have kids or not but the biggest toysrus is there too haha.
    No kids I bet it is still a cool Toy store to check out if it is that big!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Definitely go to the 9/11 museum, it's fascinating...
    Statue of Liberty is pretty cool too, but it costs extra to get up inside the statue itself.
    Battery Park is pretty cool.
    Explore Central Park too.
    Union Station is pretty damn cool. Absolutely huge!
    The main library is also pretty interesting to check out.
    Times Square is fun to walk through, but if you plan on buying anything, plan on paying tourist+ prices. (NY prices, plus tourist prices.)
    Little Italy was cool to walk through, but it's mostly replaced nowadays with Chinatown.
    We checked out the churches too. Amazing architecture.

We were there for a week too, and were dead tired at the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    Wrider covered most of the high points. My GF is from there, so I've been going back to visit once or twice a year for about 6 years now. I would add...
    9/11 museum is very well done, but I didn't visit till my last trip 2 weeks ago. I found it, as you might expect, a very somber experience. Kind of a downer for a vacation, but if you're interested it is well done.
    A trick to see the Statue of Liberty without the hassle of lines/cost/tourists of actually going there, is to take the Staten Island Ferry. It's the cost of a subway ride and takes you across the harbor fairly close to the Lady and gives great views of lower Manhattan.
    You can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, which is fun
    The best way to power tour the city is by bike (bicycle). We have bikes at our disposal there, so we tour around Manhattan every trip. It's a great way to see the city, provided you're comfortable on a bike. There is a bike path around the entire southern tip of Manhattan all along the shoreline. And Central Park by bike is great. There are plenty of bike rental places around.
    Greenwich Village has lots of little shops and bars, restaurants, comedy clubs.
    Empire State offers a phenomenal view, but be forewarned, it's normally a hellacious wait. I had a 2 hour wait when I went and the people we went with this trip had 1.5 hour wait. And the wait is like waiting for a ride at Elitches, so you're on your feet the whole time.
    Ride the subway. It's a great way to get around and is great entertainment.
    Museums are great. I prefer MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) or the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art). MOMA is mostly paintings, sculpture, etc from the masters like Picasso, etc. The Met is almost more of a natural history museum with all kinds of cool artifacts (antique gun collection, suits of armor, etc.) It is also the largest by far. It would take days to see it all. I didn't care for the Gugenhiem. Way too weird shit. Lots of "this is art?" moments there.
    And of course there's a Ducati dealership in Soho that I stop in whenever I'm in that area.
    Perfect guys, this really helps and I will show it to the wife so we get some ideas…..I really appreciate it and if anyone has more please post it up because I am a serious East coast newb.

We came across this deal and it has a lot of the things you guys mentioned on it. So far I am thinking we will buy this:
    City Pass (NY): $114 gets you six places to choose from:
    http://www.citypass.com/new-york

EMPIRE STATE BUILDING EXPERIENCE
    AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
    THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART
    TOP OF THE ROCK OBSERVATION DECK OR GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM
    STATUE OF LIBERTY & ELLIS ISLAND OR CIRCLE LINE SIGHTSEEING CRUISES
    9/11 MEMORIAL & MUSEUM OR INTREPID SEA, AIR & SPACE MUSEUM

So I got options on three of those and thinking 9/11 Memorial (will be sad, but I feel we need to go), Top of Rock (since already seeing Met for art), then circle line sightseeing cruise that takes you are island of Statue of Liberty.

We love biking; great idea and we are looking at some places to rent them at; seems most rentals are around Central Park. On a funny note my wife said we could get tandem bikes......ummmm, no

Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

If you want to get freaky, you can check out the Museum of Sex. It's right near the Empire State Building. Pretty small, but fun and interesting, provided you are ok with that sort of thing.
    Definitely check out Juniors restaurant in the Theater disctrict (just off Times sq) for some authentic NY cheesecake.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    If you want to get freaky, you can check out the Museum of Sex. It's right near the Empire State Building. Pretty small, but fun and interesting, provided you are ok with that sort of thing.
    Definitely check out Juniors restaurant in the Theater disctrict (just off Times sq) for some authentic NY cheesecake.
    Heck yeah....one of my favorite subjects

Hey Nate, NYC has a CitiBike system similar to Denver's EBikes. You check out a bike at a station and return to any other station. Probably work very well for your trip. More info at https://www.citibikenyc.com/how-it-works
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Also, lots of excellent bike infrastructure in NYC now. Bike lanes, protected bike lanes and bike paths. No need to mix it up with NYC traffic, which I would not rec unless you are very comfortable riding a bicycle in heavy city traffic.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    No need to mix it up with NYC traffic, which I would not rec unless you are very comfortable riding a bicycle in heavy city traffic.
    That's one of my favorite things to do there, play bicycle messenger southbound down 5th ave. from the Park. It's a little downhill so you can haul ass and go as fast as the taxis and juke and jive with traffic.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Oh, as a tip for the Empire State... We went at the last minute (about half an hour before it closed) on a rainy night. Got in in under 10 minutes. Yeah the rain and wind kinda sucked, but it was worth it not to wait for 2 damn hours.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S