Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do we save PMP?

Senior Member Moderator

Re: How do we save PMP?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Personally I don't even catch the bus unless there is an ambulance crew waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    What that sounds so reckless and unsafe.. How did you ever get to the bus stop without one?
    Wow! So, let me get this straight, you guys come onto a thread meant to discuss the future of PMP, and offer absolutely nothing of value to the conversation other than to ridicule a few members who have offered their valid concerns regarding it? Well then, mission accomplished I suppose.

Lets get back on topic, shall we? The grand consensus is that if PMP is to be saved, it will need people who are willing to spend the money to go ride it. The major concern for riders on the fence is that PMP is unsafe due to the lack of on-site EMS and corner workers at track days. So far, and in my opinion, one of the best suggestions has been from Aaron and Snazzy to contact Judy and figure out how many riders would be needed to justify the expense of increased safety measures. Knowing how many riders it would take for Judy to promise enhanced safety at PMP would go a long way to assuaging concerns and getting people off the fence and onto the track, that is, if that number can be achieved. However, PMP will continue to have a difficult time being saved if those concerns aren't addressed because it is losing a market segment of potential customers.

Look at it this way, those who are unwilling to ride PMP because of safety concerns are obviously people that PMP could desperately use. They're not going to compromise and gamble on their safety. And since those people have already expressed their commitment to ride elsewhere until such services are offered, they won't be heartbroken if the track is lost. As such, being dismissive and belligerent towards them is a good way to ensure they never give it a chance. So, keep an open mind, listen to what's being said, and offer constructive criticism rather than useless drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by cosp600rr View Post
    Just out of curiosity what other adrenaline type hobbies do you guys have that have a problem with the ambulance not being on site all the time?

Sking/snowboarding
    Mountain Climbing
    Dirtbiking - mountains or track
    Mountain biking
    ????

Do you view this activities more or less dangerous than a track day. I would think that they all have there dangers and one could get seriously hurt doing any one of them. I personally would much rather get hurt at the track in pueblo than way out in the woods dirtbiking, sking or mountain biking. Yet people continue to do those activities. I think just some quick instruction when you show up about how to safely enter and exit the track and what to do if you run off would be good and then manage your self for the rest. Its a trackday not a race.

I see way more people getting hurt riding dirtbikes than I ever have at trackdays. PMP is my favorite track probably because it was my first and its kind of my home track. Probably have done near 100 or more days there between trackdays and racing.
    After this I'll stop chiming in because I feel like I'm beating a dead horse already, but this is about money, nothing more. If you are talking about back country skiing and biking, trail riding, or canyon carving, those cost nothing to do. They are not organized, nor monitored by an overseeing body on privately owned and maintained property. You are free to do what you want out there and you have to own the consequences.

When you pay to play at a private facility, you are bargaining with the proprietor for specific conditions, and you should get what you pay for. At a ski resort, when you buy a lift ticket you are paying for staff, such as Ski Patrol, avalanche control, nicely groomed and obstacle-free runs, and that any potential obstacles will be clearly marked. These are assurances of safety. Obviously none of them are 100% preventative. You could still hit a mogul incorrectly and bust your knee. For PMP, people are saying its a nice track, and I believe them. They are likely getting exactly what they pay for. For others, the price simply isn't enough to entice them to ride there. They want more. I don't think they, myself included, said they were unwilling to pay more if it meant getting more. I'd certainly be happy to pay more if it meant my personal concerns were satisfied.

Look, I think all of us are on the same page that practically everything you do has risks, that's not the concern here. What is a concern is that when you ride a track you are paying money in exchange for something: and that is, as I have said earlier, an assurance of safety. For some, that assurance is a relatively clear track with a surface in good repair. For others, they want and expect more: on-site EMS and more corner workers. I haven't read where anybody has stated that they wouldn't be willing to pay more if it meant those things were present.

You're right that it's not a race, but riders can be out there for any number of reasons. They could be working on lines, or they could be working on race setup. Are most of them out there to putt around? Probably not. Regardless, riding on the track is a dangerous activity because the machinery, the speed, and the rider's exposure to the surrounding environment is inherently dangerous. You could come off a slow corner, get aggressive on the throttle too early, suffer a massive high side, and get seriously hurt, or you could walk away without a scratch. The concern is not about eliminating those dangers, it's about mitigating the consequences when mistakes are made. In my earlier post I attempted to illustrate that even a relatively low speed crash can be potentially fatal. I'll grant that situations like that are extremely rare, but if you're serious about your safety, you measure risk from a worst-case scenario, not ideals.

To reiterate: if PMP wants more customers, they know what they need to do to get them. Until they start offering on-site EMS and a reasonable amount of corner workers, they're going to lose that market segment. Until then, those riders will continue spending more money and, in some cases, make a longer drive to ride HPR, and most won't be likely to lose a single night's sleep if PMP closes. I guess what it comes down to is that if you're serious about making sure PMP survives, you give it the best chance possible by expanding its market to previously unreachable customers. Not by dismissing them out-of-hand.
    Last edited by Drano; Mon May 25th, 2015 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Wow! So, let me get this straight, you guys come onto a thread meant to discuss the future of PMP, and offer absolutely nothing of value to the conversation other than to ridicule a few members who have offered their valid concerns regarding it? Well then, mission accomplished I suppose.
    Lighten up Francis. More like driving home the fact we have become pussified and it's sad. People have gotten to the point that they can't take a piss without a safety net.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Yea, all those racers and motorcycle riders that wear leathers and helmets, bunch of pussies who can't ride without a safety net

Not quite where I was going.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I saw an opportunity and I took it

This thread is only good for comedic value at this point anyway

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Lighten up Francis. More like driving home the fact we have become pussified and it's sad. People have gotten to the point that they can't take a piss without a safety net.

Please lets not trash my thread anymore than it already has.

The EMS situation is not the only reason why people dislike PMP. I was hoping to get more of a outline from people on what they dislike and would like to see changed with the track. Not pick one topic and run 4 pages on it. Yes safety is most peoples #1 priority and we all know that it will simply take an increase in funds from the track day guys to justify the means to have that. BUT until the popularity and the knowledge of the on site EMS spreads, what can we do to help make this a more user friendly place to go and like Drano said pay to play at a private facility. I don't mind paying more money for a trackday, obviously neither does the rest of the majority of the track riders becasue we are already spending $160 (or more if you need power) for a day out at HPR but we get 1. Ambulance 2. clean pits 3. Some trained corner crew 4. The Colorado Grill + more everytime.

I received an email blast from Judy the other day that said it costs her $100/hr to rent the ambulance. On a normal track day that means $900-$1000 just for the bus. To me that means she would need about 10 people to sign up for full price to be able to afford that and turn a small profit. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are more than 10 people on here that would go to ride at PMP given the current situations. So why don't people go? When I first started doing track days, the only thing that I cared about was seat time. I didn't care about corner crew, or ambulance, or food, or power or anything else for that matter really. All I wanted was a clear track and good tires. Now that I've been riding track for 3 years my needs have changed. I can go alot faster now than when I first started, I've been injured in a on track accident that required immediate medical attention, and I use the track to practice my racing not to practice my riding. I also sold my generator, my van with canopy, my enclosed trailer, and most of my time spent at the track these days is in the pits working on my bike instead of riding it so the need for a comfortable pit area is a higher priority for me now than in the past.

Have I gone to PMP and rode with out corner crew and an ambulance, of course and I would drive over 5 hours each way to do it and thought it was worth every minute and dime spent. But that was 3 years ago and things are a little different now. So use that as a perspective because what may not be important to you now might be the most important thing for you after you get to use the track for 3 years. But if there is no track to use, then everyone looses.
    MRA #934
    2007 GSXR 750
    2015 Sponsors: Pirelli, Vortex, Galfer, Motorex, Hot Bodies, Race Tech, SpeedMob, Sol-Performance, Blood Nickle, Pilot, Racer Gloves, and Chicken Hawk

When I lived in Broomfield, the issue I had with PMP as an occasional track day location was the distance. I was happy to drive it, but at the time there was not a 10-2 half day offer. You either paid for a full day or morning/afternoon session. Neither of which was ideal.

I had five guys riding with me last year and I called Judy to ask for a 10-2 window and she obliged because it allowed six of us to come down. I thought it was cool of her to do that for us. Just a suggestion, but it might be cool if that was an option (with maybe a $10 premium).

I plan to ride PMP a couple of times this year. In fact, now that I am in the for corner areas I have met a half a dozen guys that want to give the track a shot. I will see what I can do to organize a day and if needed, have the Fun Center kick in a little to make it a success.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Save the track by going there on june 7th. 2 for 1 day. I will be there for sure with ninja2.

I am always more than welcome with teaching and helping others at the track. I assume nick lesatch will be there also for the sunset class also.

For the ones concerned about an ambulance,
    I can say the riders meeting right here right now.

Dont break rule number one. Problem solved.
    Last edited by BadR6Man; Mon May 25th, 2015 at 11:44 PM.
    06 Daytona 675 race
    01 red R6 #10
    86 FJ1200 #10
    06 MV Brutale 910s
    06 Honda CRF450r
    01 Yamaha YZ125
    64 Ducati 250

Why did the MRA cut PMP to only 1 round each season? I never understood this. If there is an old MRA thread discussing this on their forum please direct me to it.

I do about 3-12 track days a year at PMP and have been for the past 6 years. I accept the lack of EMS issue as a big risk but I still go to the track. They use to allow cars/bikes on it at the same time. That was "fun" and I am very lucky to still be here today.

If an EMS was on site I would probably cut 2-3 seconds off my average track day lap time on the first lap out. I ride PMP with a bit of a safety margin since there is usually no medical service on site but I still feel the track time is worth it for me.

We take a risk everyday just getting out of bed. I am more afraid of riding my bike in the city or in the mountains than I am at the track. I am not trying to defend the lack of EMS at the track because I definitely would like to have them available every time I go. I'd be willing to pay more for it as well but I will still go to the track without them being present. What else in your life would you not do because you are too scared of not having a safety net? That sounds like a boring way to live but it is your money.

Corner workers at every corner would be nice for the extra safety but I don't feel it is necessary. I'd rather use that money for an EMS since I do not think all of PMP's issues can be fixed immediately. PMP is laid out in a way that as long turn 8, the tower/turn 10, and maybe someone at turn 4 or turn 1 all have a competent worker with their head on a quick swivel then the entire field of view is covered.

I have only been to HPR a few times and I don't go regularly because I live in Colorado Springs. I can get to PMP within 40 minutes on a good day, no traffic incidents on I-25, and the moon and stars perfectly aligned. I understand why the Denver people don't visit PMP as often as HPR. I know driving distance is a lame excuse but that is my main reason for choosing PMP over HPR.

I have heard from several riders recently who go to both tracks that PMP is a lot smoother than HPR. Turn 8 at PMP is starting to get bumpier. Turn 10 always clenches my butthole but aim for the middle and you are fine. If the drag strip rubber gets heat into it then taking a wide line on turn 10 is do able but I will leave that to braver riders.

Half the time I go to PMP I feel like I have the track to myself. I can do 15 laps without any traffic which is great for me but bad for PMP.
    Is the lack of turn out for PMP due to Judy, lack of advertising, lack of interests from riders due to safety concerns? I don't really know.

PMP also has a 2 for 1 day every month during the summer and they even did a $60 lapping day a month or so ago. $60 for a full day of lapping!?!?! They had an EMS present during the $60 day but was only available from 11am-2pm or 3 pm. It was a decent turn out but I expected the track to be packed for $60.

Judy really does care about keeping that track open and doing everything she possibly can for the people that attend the track. She is always open to opinions or any kind of help with the track so please voice your concerns or ideas directly to her.
    I'd hate to see another race track close down.

I'll be at the track on June 7th as well.

Last edited by GNGSXR; Tue May 26th, 2015 at 01:43 PM.
    2013 BMW S1000RR
    1973 Honda CB750 / GSXR
    1987 buick grand national
    '06 GSXR 750. Race Track. Everyday Commuter. Long distance tourer. Sold

I'm sure Jim will chime in as of why PMP and PPIR are 1 round only now
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Cars and bikes on the track at the same time? /that makes things tricky/

The last time I went to a combined cars/bikes track day I lowsided in the dirt a corvette had thrown on the track. My point is this may make no corner workers even more of an issue. Cars and bikes do have different needs.

I'm trying to plan a day to see if I can help support the track but from what I can see the weekend days are all combined Cars/bikes open lapping. That makes it pretty hard for a bike guy to commit.
    Last edited by Gramps; Tue May 26th, 2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: found some answers elsewhere
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

There are a combination of reasons the MRA currently schedules only 1 round per season at Pueblo.

It is the most poorly attended round each season for the MRA. We generally lose money when we hold a round there. We also can not race in the rain there due to surface in turn 10. Those reasons, along with the substantial track rental increase in the past 4 years make it nonviable for us to hold more than one round per season.

Track side vendors do not want to (some will not) attend events at Pueblo due to the City of Pueblo's vendor agreement and hundreds of dollars in fees. We currently are unable to find a vendor to run concessions at our round scheduled next month.

High Plains Raceway is the MRA's home track and the majority of our rounds will be scheduled there. The MRA has a seat on the CAMA (Colorado Amateur Motorsports Association) Board of Directors and contributed both a substantial amount of seed money for it's construction from it's own treasury, and also it's share of the funds rebated from Second Creek Raceway and reinvested in CAMA. Plus, a large number of our members personally donated during the fundraising efforts in 2008. We are essentially 20% owners of the track.

As for why only one round is scheduled at PPIR, this is due to the management change at that facility and an apparent miscommunication with the previous manager regarding our scheduled dates for this season. Unfortunately, our weekend in June was scheduled to another entity.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    It is the most poorly attended round each season for the MRA. We generally lose money when we hold a round there.
    I have heard so many times from racers that it's "too far"

Very sad.
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

If they don't feel like driving that far then what are you gonna do, like I said, whoever feels like showing up will and who doesn't well just doesn't lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
    I have heard so many times from racers that it's "too far"

Very sad.
    And to think we used to go to Hastings, NE...
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    If they don't feel like driving that far then what are you gonna do, like I said, whoever feels like showing up will and who doesn't well just doesn't lol
    advertise a low enough track day fee, start going for volume and they just might... If they save more on the track day fee than the gas they'd spend to get there, and people know about, no reason it shouldn't be successful, no?
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

I would make the trip out there. Distance is better than having to go out of state, the more tracks that are in Colorado the better, period.

Does anyone know EMS personnel? Could we arrange our own EMS crew that would consider donating their time? Or if Judy increased the price slightly to afford the EMS?
    2011 GSXR 600, #556 Novice
    2002 Honda 954rr
    2009 Honda Ruckus 200cc stroked with nitrous
    1989 Mirage aka "The Black Widow" (fast)

Most have said it, even at the $60 for a full day and the turnout was not great. Not sure what the issue is for most people other than distance.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Most have said it, even at the $60 for a full day and the turnout was not great. Not sure what the issue is for most people other than distance.
    It's about commitment.

I know it's a big commitment for Judy but you can't try something one time and then say it was a failure from the one experience. I would guess if PMP commits to bike only days and a decent pricing structure then riders would commit to PMP.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Just my $0.02

For PMP, there are some deterrents, some minor, and some more major influences.....

Minor:
    -Cost.... is a hundred bucks or so really that much to be on a track? Some see it as a bargain, others not so much, depends individual backgrounds and how they see a track being beneficial or a risk vs canyons. I think people that use this excuse is just looking for a way out.

-Distance, if your in Boulder, Longmont or further north, even the Denver area, obviously HPR is much less of a drive and obviously significantly less traffic not having to go through the Springs.

- Ambulance, this is a grey area, for me, a non issue as far as whether I go or not, for others, might be different.

-Shade at PMP, what is that??? Canopy needed, along with possible umbrella./sunblock etc for spectators

-Restrooms much friendlier haha at HPR and PPIR

Major:
    -Most MRA members will goto HPR for convenience, and a major part of their season is raced there so more seat time.....more points/standings/better results and the track is awesome with different configs, as said before, HPR is the home track for the MRA among others.

-HPR and PPIR have power, garages, car ports, etc.

One last thing..... For newbies, there is always going to be those that talk about wanting to go, but then just don't while a few do.

I could go on and on about my opinions, others may agree with some, some may disagree with all, I really don't care. I like PMP, it's the first full size track I took a car and bike to, will always hold a special place with memories for me.

Getting 5 people from this forum to go on a specific day is not going to save PMP, much more community involvement is needed. As much as there are track discussions on this forum, and all the talk about wanting...or going, and the turnout is still weak, I am also guilty of this for my own reasons which will hopefully change very soon. But I plan on bring others little by little into the sport/industry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Just my $0.02

For PMP, there are some deterrents, some minor, and some more major influences.....

Minor:
    -Cost.... is a hundred bucks or so really that much to be on a track? Some see it as a bargain, others not so much, depends individual backgrounds and how they see a track being beneficial or a risk vs canyons. I think people that use this excuse is just looking for a way out.

-Distance, if your in Boulder, Longmont or further north, even the Denver area, obviously HPR is much less of a drive and obviously significantly less traffic not having to go through the Springs.

- Ambulance, this is a grey area, for me, a non issue as far as whether I go or not, for others, might be different.

-Shade at PMP, what is that??? Canopy needed, along with possible umbrella./sunblock etc for spectators

-Restrooms much friendlier haha at HPR and PPIR

Major:
    -Most MRA members will goto HPR for convenience, and a major part of their season is raced there so more seat time.....more points/standings/better results and the track is awesome with different configs, as said before, HPR is the home track for the MRA among others.

-HPR and PPIR have power, garages, car ports, etc.

One last thing..... For newbies, there is always going to be those that talk about wanting to go, but then just don't while a few do.

I could go on and on about my opinions, others may agree with some, some may disagree with all, I really don't care. I like PMP, it's the first full size track I took a car and bike to, will always hold a special place with memories for me.

Getting 5 people from this forum to go on a specific day is not going to save PMP, much more community involvement is needed. As much as there are track discussions on this forum, and all the talk about wanting...or going, and the turnout is still weak, I am also guilty of this for my own reasons which will hopefully change very soon. But I plan on bring others little by little into the sport/industry as well.
    /thread
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

PMP has power available, they just do not have carports.

And I did the math out of curiosity, from Longmont, CO to HPR and Longmont, CO to Pueblo, CO, at a rate of 19mpg, 2.85 for gas, the difference in price one way is about $9. Just for all the people who pull the "it's way more expensive to drive out to Pueblo"

Also Pueblo is 28 mins and 25 miles from PPIR
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
    PMP has power available
    Ohhh nice, one thing I won't have to worry about then!!