Thread: Write up: How to title a bike with no title

Write up: How to title a bike with no title

So after the last thread by my buddy Fifty280, I wanted to make this thread on how to LEGALLY TITLE a motorcycle that has no title. You will occasionally find these bikes on CL for very cheap because they have been wrecked or parted out etc. I have always built my own race bikes using these very same "donor bikes" as I call them, because they are cheap and you don't need a titled bike to race in the MRA. So here are the steps that one must follow in order to obtain a title for a bike without one, granted that the bike isn't stolen.

Step 1: Obtain a Bonding Packet
    Go to the DMV and ask them for a Bonding Packet. It will include all of the paperwork that you will need to obtain a the title. If you know who previously owned the bike skip to step 4. If you do not know who was the previous owner go to step 2.

Step 2: Get a Certified VIN Inspection
    This is done by calling 303-239-4545 option 3 and scheduling an appointment for the CSP to conduct the Certified VIN Inspection. You will have to go the the CSP office at 15203 W. 12th Ave Golden, CO 80401 to have this done. Take the bike or frame/motor with you and your bonding packet.

Step 3: Obtain a Title Search
    Go to the CDot Title department at 1881 Pierce St Denver, CO 80214 and give them the completed certified VIN inspection and they will conduct a title search for you and give you the information for the last know person to have titled the bike.

Step 4: Application for Duplicate title for new ownership
    Next you will need to type up a letter asking the previous owner to sign the Application for Duplicate Title for New Ownership that you have filled out along with your title search. The DMV can help you through this if you ask them when you get the title info. You should provide them with a return envelope with pre-paid postage insured and traceable by USPS. You MUST sent the letter and application CERTIFIED MAIL WITH RETURN RECEIPT. If the previous owner returns the signed application you can then take it back to the DMV and submit it for a duplicate title whether its a salvage, rebuilt, or clean title they will issue it to you. IF you DO NOT get the application returned from the previous owner then go to step 5.

Step 5: Get the bike appraised
    Now you need to find an appraiser to get a good value of the motorcycle. I would ask your bank or your insurance agent for a good referral.

Step 6: Purchase an Surety Bond or a Title bond
    You will need to buy a surety bond for 2 times the amount of the appraisal.
    Step 7: Send letter of Notice for Bonded Title
    You will need to type another letter to the previous owner stating that you have tried to apply for the duplicate title but now need to bond the title from the state. You MUST sent the letter and application CERTIFIED MAIL WITH RETURN RECEIPT.

Step 8: Submit all your paperwork to the DMV
    After you get the return receipt you will then go back to the DMV and turn in the bond, the certified mail receipt, the certified VIN, an application for Bonded Title, and a few more forms to verify your ID. After that the DMV will issue you a title.
    MRA #934
    2007 GSXR 750
    2015 Sponsors: Pirelli, Vortex, Galfer, Motorex, Hot Bodies, Race Tech, SpeedMob, Sol-Performance, Blood Nickle, Pilot, Racer Gloves, and Chicken Hawk

Gold Member

Re: Write up: How to title a bike with no title

And that bond depending on your credit and who you go through can be a bit costly. Usually 10% of the bond... If I'm remembering correctly.

If anyone needs I know a good agent that does these all the time there in Denver.

What do you say the rough time frame for this process would be?
    06 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Ph03niX View Post
    What do you say the rough time frame for this process would be?
    Probably between two weeks and never, depending on if you can actually reach the previous owner. If your letters are returned to sender then your up shit creek.

Is the bond for a specific amount of time? Do you get your cost of the bond refunded after said time?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Is the bond for a specific amount of time? Do you get your cost of the bond refunded after said time?
    A year and no.

For Step 2, just to clarify do you need to have the bike assembled, or can you bring them the frame and engine as independent units,?
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    For Step 2, just to clarify do you need to have the bike assembled, or can you bring them the frame and engine as independent units,?
    I believe that they can be independent units
    MRA #934
    2007 GSXR 750
    2015 Sponsors: Pirelli, Vortex, Galfer, Motorex, Hot Bodies, Race Tech, SpeedMob, Sol-Performance, Blood Nickle, Pilot, Racer Gloves, and Chicken Hawk