Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1299 review -- Duc seems to be better than the R1

New 1299 review -- Duc seems to be better than the R1

On 44 teeth.com: Base 1299 vs R1

"They don’t come much meaner (or redder) than this pairing. Our pick of 2015 – Ducati’s 1299 Panigale and the all-new Yamaha R1 – have been engrossed in a 44T style head-to-head skirmish over the past few weeks and the results stunned us. I never thought I’d say this, ever, but Ducati has built a better sportsbike for the road than Yamaha. On an everyday vibe, the 1299 marmalises the R1: everything from throttle response, power delivery, electronics relevance and stability are all superior on the roads."

"Ducati’s throttle blipper is an ingenuously joyous addition, making light work of road duties. It’s not as easy/soft on the toe as, say, the BMW system but it’s also more clinical. At least it’s got one. The 1299’s corner entry is also superior when it comes to braking, with powerful Brembo goodies as opposed to the R1’s Tokico set-up, which faded even on the road."

"Meanwhile, over in the 1299’s corner, there are no such complaints. Stretching the imaginary cable at the launch at Portimao, the engine upgrades were palpable but not as transparent as the recent road-based sorties. Despite bragging two gargantuan, abnormally oversized pistons throbbing beneath your gusset, you can exploit the lower echelons of revs without chain clatter or a stuttering delivery. How can a 1299 Panigale feel lethargic? It does after jumping off the R1, but only because of the luscious spread of power available which distorts speed sensation – it’s almost a return to archetypal v-twin etiquette. Whereas the Yamaha’s rush of blood occurs within a small parameter of revs, the 1299 has an abundance of useable grunt on tap and any point in the range invites throttle abuse, subsequently ensuring the Ducati is much easier to ride in a wider range of environments. It fuels beautifully and there are no ride-by-wire foibles or nasty surprises."

"Whereas the R1 inspires hooliganism, the 1299 inspires confidence. Its slender physique is more greyhound than the R1’s bulldog stance, although the wheels feel more firmly planted. There’s no doubt it steers quicker and more precise than the 1199 (and more conventionally), and the monocoque chassis doesn’t throw up any idiosyncrasies – "
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Re: New 1299 review -- Duc seems to be better than the R1

Never thought in the past I would ever say this.... but I would take the new R1 over the Panigale any day.

Last edited by Slo; Thu May 28th, 2015 at 07:55 PM.

me too
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I'd trade my Duc for a R1M in a heartbeat if I could lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Interesting .....

Why?
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I've always been a Yamaha guy to be honest, picked up the SF cause it was a great deal and don't get me wrong it's an amazing bike, first Italian I've owned and it's fun but all the Yamahas I've owned have been more than great bikes and fit my riding style more. I haven't ridden a Panigale yet so can't say on that specifically and I also bet they're above and beyond. Hopefully I can get to ride one during the Demo day which I doubt they'll have anything but the 848 out there.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Gotcha

I'm a Yami fan myself so I understand. I'm just curious to see why people would choose one over the other.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

For me it would come down to ease of finding parts, the cost, and even though Ducati is more maintenance friendly, still not sold on it being reliable and service at only select locations.

Have had 20 bikes now, never had a bike in a shop due to issues, of course this has to do with luck and I know that could change, but damn, just 1 rectifier, couple of batteries and just routine chain/sprocket, and oil changes from the more mainstream Japanese bikes.

I still like the Panigale, just not enough to own one myself, although I will always gawk at one like a blonde with manufactured ( . Y . ) with a short skirt on.

The R1m..... I like the technology and performance it brings, IMO they really produced a bike that is a true contender for bike of the year. I hope to be an R1M owner maybe next year or so. Looks are very subjective, and in the past have held very little with me from a purchase standpoint, but I really like the new R1 at all angles.

Slo

I'm on the other end of the spectrum about the R1. I think the front end looks like they forgot to blend it together and just left it to the engineers and forgot the design room. The Duck on the other hand I think is sex on wheels but I have to admit I like the 1199 styling in some areas better than the new 1299. The tech is why I would buy R1 but the new Duc has the same tech.

The maintenance and parts are probably different. Anything with Ducati written on it seems to be twice the price of what you would think it was worth. Hell the new exhaust is $5000 alone before installation. It's the Ducati tax

As far as rideable I'm not sure what you mean but I can tell you that it doesn't like to go slow. It leaps and sputters and is just not comfortable until you get to speed. Then when you are pushing it a bit it responds.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Yeah looks are always in the eyes of the beholder..... And the panigale is undoubtedly a sexy bike. All my talk doesn't mean a thing anyway considering I have yet to own a Ducati, just bench racing....

Hey that's the fun part. I find the different opinions interesting. Especially on these two bikes because they are at the cutting edge of new technology.

Thanks for your input.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    On 44 teeth.com: Base 1299 vs R1
    Is this guy writing a review or demonstrating his knowledge of the thesaurus?

Yamaha for life, because I work on my bikes!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Is this guy writing a review or demonstrating his knowledge of the thesaurus?

Yamaha for life, because I work on my bikes!
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

This thread is really, really ignorant. Fact is, most every modern sportbike is going to be as reliable and dependable as any other. The Panigale has a bad reputation for this stuff because of the Ducatis of 10 years ago.

And if it does develop an issue like every other sportbike will at some point, it's nuts and bolts that hold it together, just like a Chevy.

And going for the R1 just because you are a Yamaha faithful is just what they depend on, ignorance. That's how the CBR and Gixxer sell more than 2 units a year. I'm not saying the R1 isn't a great bike, but decide before you blindly buy it because it says Yamaha on it.

UUUMMMMM.........

Relax brother The article I chopped this out of is written by a guy who is pretty different in his own right. I think it's pretty interesting why people purchase one bike over another. Especially now when the bikes are getting so good and the technology is so extreme.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

The diff in base models MSRP is $2805 ($16,490 vs. $19,295). No doubt both great bikes, no doubt both outta my price range.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I don't think anything is ignorant about this thread.

Well.... I hadn't anyway.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    This thread is really, really ignorant. Fact is, most every modern sportbike is going to be as reliable and dependable as any other. The Panigale has a bad reputation for this stuff because of the Ducatis of 10 years ago.

And if it does develop an issue like every other sportbike will at some point, it's nuts and bolts that hold it together, just like a Chevy.

And going for the R1 just because you are a Yamaha faithful is just what they depend on, ignorance. That's how the CBR and Gixxer sell more than 2 units a year. I'm not saying the R1 isn't a great bike, but decide before you blindly buy it because it says Yamaha on it.
    Not saying the BMW isn't all that, because we know it's an awesome ride..... but. Why did you have brand loyalty in 2 years that makes it different from Yamaha brand loyalists? I know it wasn't the flip flopped headlights

It isn't brand loyalty at all, I'm open to any brand, but I'll only spend money on the best bike for me. And for me, it's been the BMW both years. If the RSV4 had cruise control, heated grips, and everything else the BMW has that makes it as good of a street bike as it is, it'd probably be my first choice. The R1 is just too ugly for me to get over, and over rating power numbers puts a huge distaste in my mouth. The Pani is a v twin, and I'm not the biggest fan of twins. The RSV4 isn't available yet and won't have the street features the BMW does. The ZX10R does everything well, but nothing truly brilliant, and that exhausts my list really.

I dont think that comparing the stock R1 to the 1299 is even and apples to apples comparison. And if the field was leveled I think the R1 would smoke the 1299... say adding 300cc to the R1.

Two different displacements. Two different types of engines.

If you were to compare the R1 to anything, it would be other 1000cc motorcycles. In that class I dont think there is anyone that even compares to the new R1.

You miight start to have a more fair comparison between the R1M and the 1299. Yamaha got 200hp out of a 1000cc engine, thats pretty impressive.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It isn't brand loyalty at all, I'm open to any brand, but I'll only spend money on the best bike for me. And for me, it's been the BMW both years. If the RSV4 had cruise control, heated grips, and everything else the BMW has that makes it as good of a street bike as it is, it'd probably be my first choice. The R1 is just too ugly for me to get over, and over rating power numbers puts a huge distaste in my mouth. The Pani is a v twin, and I'm not the biggest fan of twins. The RSV4 isn't available yet and won't have the street features the BMW does. The ZX10R does everything well, but nothing truly brilliant, and that exhausts my list really.
    I can understand most of these points, the BMW does come with a lot of goodies, cruise control and heated grips for me won't make me sway one way or another. But gotta admit, that auto blipper for downshifting is very trick!!

Only thing I'm wondering is what makes you think Yamaha is over rating power numbers, where did you hear this from? I haven't heard of this, except the US models being heavily restricted. But this is no different than the US model ZX10R, which is a simple reflash that can unlock the HP and a fair amount of other goodies already in the ECU.

From what I have seen, once the reflash happens, the power is actually very impressive.

The base model R1 did awesome in this review, although this can obviously vary by track, conditions, and other variables.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V4kMSXKn9g

And for me, I am one of the last people that would have considered an R1 for a choice in bikes in the past, obviously has changed now.

I have been riding since May 2007 -- until April, I had owned 5 bikes, exclusively Yamahas.

(2007 R1, 2007 FZ6, 2006 FJR, 2009 FZ1, 2008 FJR) and bike #6 is a 2010 Ducati Multistrada S - Electronic Ohlins suspension w/ the Ohlins semi-active suspension module.

The Yamahas are all great bikes -- relatively inexpensive, the best service intervals and great all-rounders.

The Ducati on the other hand feels very much like a premium sport bike. The look, the handling, the sound, the power. To put it in car terms it's like upgrading from a Corvette to a Ferrari.

But the Ducati should be better - it's double the cost of the Yamaha bikes... even used at 5 years the Ducati was the most expensive bike I've purchased - was even more than my 07 R1 brand new out the door. The used Ducati cost exactly double what I paid for my used 09 FZ1.

But, Ducati comes at a price of expensive maintenance. Last weekend, a few of us were out for a ride and we noticed I was puddling fork oil -- so to have the seals redone means a trip to Denver and $280 (better than Fey Myers who quoted $413 in labor and $120-170 in parts.) Then there's the 15K mile service which runs $900 to $1500 depending on which shop you take it to. An annual expense some years.

But that's the price which comes with having a red bike with the word "Ducati" emblazened on it.

I think my next bike will be a 2015 Multistrada, a couple years down the road.

Clovis
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

I've not ridden either bike, so I will only comment on looks. Ducati is hands down the better looking bike side by side. However, if I was in the market for both bikes, I'd have to ride both to make the decision.
    2014 Triumph Daytona 675r

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    I dont think that comparing the stock R1 to the 1299 is even and apples to apples comparison. And if the field was leveled I think the R1 would smoke the 1299... say adding 300cc to the R1.

Two different displacements. Two different types of engines.

If you were to compare the R1 to anything, it would be other 1000cc motorcycles. In that class I dont think there is anyone that even compares to the new R1.

You miight start to have a more fair comparison between the R1M and the 1299. Yamaha got 200hp out of a 1000cc engine, thats pretty impressive.

You may have a point here but remember these are street bikes without any restrictions other than those internally by the manufacturer and R&D. So everyone is going to compare them because they are the newest trickest things.

The reviews I've read to this point are mixed and it's little things that make one review go one way and the other review the other way.

I've ridden them both and I know what my opinion is but there are some interesting points here.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S