Thread: Any Ducati mechanics in or around Colorado Springs?

Any Ducati mechanics in or around Colorado Springs?

The dealerships in the Springs are telling me you have to go to Denver to service a Duck... does anyone have a mechanic they use?

Need to replace the front fork seals, left side blew out today.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: Any Ducati mechanics in or around Colorado Springs?

Those are common to blow out on those too... I heard there was some recall for it but not sure if it applies for yours. Check with the dealer
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Yeah, either Erico Motorsports or Boulder Motorsports. But I have the tools if you wanna do it yourself

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Those are common to blow out on those too... I heard there was some recall for it but not sure if it applies for yours. Check with the dealer
    http://m.ducatiusa.com/services/reca...aigns/index.do

Not Springs but I use Racers Edge in Lakewood for suspension work. You need to pull the forks yourself. Or Jim at TFOG for on the bike.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Ahhhhh memories...

Fays was quick to take care of any issues I had w/ my strada. Including fork seals on the ohlins...

Recommendation: buy and keep an extra set of seals on hand. Mine only lasted around 5K.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I think they will replace the seals at Rock Mountain.

Randontask: Are you in close to the Springs?

I haven't called Rocky Mountain yet - will call them on Tuesday. This issue came up on a ride yesterday - noticed a small puddle of oil dropping from the front left fork while filling up.

Couldn't get to them before they closed but Apex and Pikes Peak were pretty insistant that none of the main dealerships in the Springs work on Ducati's -- Pikes Peak said they recently sent/sold their Ducati tools and sent them up to Boulder Motorsports.

From what I've read here and on the Ducati forums this is something I'll be doing fairly often. Fey Meyers (the only shop I could call that was still open) quoted $413 for the labor alone and said the seals were $120 to $170 typically. Granted, Fey is probably the more expensive option but I used it for a baseline. $600 for seals is about $200-300 more than I was expecting, even for a Ducati...

A few people recommended getting sealmate (www.sealmate.net) - as they claim the vast majority of "blown" seals are not actually blown but rather just have dirt in the seal, preventing a proper seal. Not sure if puddling indicates a leak or a blown seal. Anyhow, that's a $10 for the tool and shipping. Will try this too.

Taking the bike all the way to Denver from Colorado Springs to have this done, potentially 1-2 times annually doesn't sound all that practical so I'm thinking my options are:

1) Find a local mechanic - surely there's a Ducati tech out there who runs or works in a shop?
    2) Get a trailer to trailer the bike up there so I can drop it off, pick it up later.
    3) Get the tools, learn to do it myself. Doesn't look that hard.

I kind of like option #3 - that's why I bought a tire changer last year Too many expensive trips to the shop just to have tires put on.

Thanks!

Clovis
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

that price went up a bit!

I had mine done twice. I paid for the first one, and then screamed until they warrantied the second set. I don't remember paying that much, but it was 5 years ago...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Oh those Ducati's are so sexy! LOL!!

Buy the tools and DIY. It shouldn't take a Ducati mechanic to do fork seals.

Ducatis don't need special tools, chances are you'll have everything you need if you have a decent spread of tools.

You will need a front triple stand that doesn't support from the forks but from the triple stem. You'll also have to make a seal driver, I use PVC and it works great.

It's an easy 1 day job if you have everything you need.

Not sure about the Ducati part, but the Ohlins part does mean special tools.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Like what?

Inverted forks mean the you get to buy the extra long allen wrench to get in there and take them apart. No random spread of tools I've ever seen has that tool. Or a fork oil gauge.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Inverted forks mean the you get to buy the extra long allen wrench to get in there and take them apart. No random spread of tools I've ever seen has that tool. Or a fork oil gauge.
    I use a hex key socket adapter, so that solves that. And fork oil gauge is universal for any bike. After purchasing a bike, everyone should buy a hex and torx socket set, axle wrenches/keys, and locktite. Can do almost anything on a bike with these haha.

Fork seals are fork seals. Buy the seals and fluid and diy.
    06 Daytona 675 race
    01 red R6 #10
    86 FJ1200 #10
    06 MV Brutale 910s
    06 Honda CRF450r
    01 Yamaha YZ125
    64 Ducati 250

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    There is nothing "special" about the forks because it's a Ducati. They are built and are serviced just like any other set of telescopic forks.

For the inverted fork you'll need some kind of spring compressor to get them apart - you can find a reasonably priced one for personal use here:

http://www.traxxion.com/Fork-Spring-...ssor-Kit-4017/

(there are other good, reasonably priced tools on here too

Also - I wouldn't spend the money for the special Ducati / Ohlins seals - Get these instead:

http://www.innteck-usa.com/products/fork_seals/

( I realize this is a general listing, but SKF for sure makes a part number to fit your bike)

Am I correct in thinking you need a special tool to get the cap off though (since it's Ohlins)?
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Sorry for the late response. But yes, I am in northern C Springs.

Also, yes the forks do require a special tool to hold the spacer down while you separate the nut securing the cap (part #88713.0957). No you don't need a tool for the cap itself, standard hex nut. Of course you can make that tool yourself but much more work than it's worth if you ask me. (You cold always borrow mine)
    Last edited by RandomTask; Sat Jun 13th, 2015 at 11:22 PM.

Sorry, just caught that you said Ohiins caps. Yes there's a special tool for that. i'd get one from Dan Kyle USA. or you can use a set of pin pliers in a pinch

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Clovis,
    Your bike is a 2010-2012 Multistrada S model correct?
    If so those have a bit different bits in them than more normal type Ohlins forks.
    First they have servo's inside to activate the valving on the fly.
    The left is compression and the right is rebound, this is how they adjust to the different modes.
    I would also be very careful as the electrical connectors on top are extremely fragile, so beware when disconnecting.
    I would find a shop to take or send the forks to, removing & installing them my self.
    The seals and or bushing aren't really the issue, it's the packaging that if assembled incorrectly, could not give the correct performance, or worse.
    Just my thoughts on this matter.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I replaced the seals on my Streetfighter S last year (Ohlins) and it isn't too bad to do yourself. Order the seals from Kyle Racing (speak to Mike Wheeler)...I think that I paid about $60 bucks for the genuine Ohlins seals and oil. I have all of the tools in my garage if you want to swing by one day and we will tackle it together. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I didn't even consider that they might have the electronic adjusters.

If that then the task is for sure more challenging. I've never personally worked on a set, so I have no good guidance to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Clovis,
    Your bike is a 2010-2012 Multistrada S model correct?
    If so those have a bit different bits in them than more normal type Ohlins forks.
    First they have servo's inside to activate the valving on the fly.
    The left is compression and the right is rebound, this is how they adjust to the different modes.
    I would also be very careful as the electrical connectors on top are extremely fragile, so beware when disconnecting.
    I would find a shop to take or send the forks to, removing & installing them my self.
    The seals and or bushing aren't really the issue, it's the packaging that if assembled incorrectly, could not give the correct performance, or worse.
    Just my thoughts on this matter.