Thread: Bike is doing something strange when shifting to third!

Bike is doing something strange when shifting to third!

My 2003 R1 with PC III is doing something weird when I wind it out and shift to third. From a stop, hit it at full throttle and hold it wide open to 11,000 rpm and shift. Continue to hold full throttle and right before 11,000 rpm in second gear it feels like the chain skips a tooth, or the ignition cuts-out for a split second, like on a quick-shifter. Kim says it blows a puff of black smoke when it does this.

My memory is for shit these days, but it seems like it has done this before and it went away.

Any ideas? I guess I should disconnect the Power Commander and see if it still does it. I don't think it is the PC, though, as it only controls the injectors and not the ignition.
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Wed Jun 17th, 2015 at 10:31 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Bike is doing something strange when shifting to third!

Dean -

I would start with the PC as I've seen weird problems with them in the past. If It's a PCIII it should do ignition and fuel because the quick shifter was a direct plug in to that model if I remember correctly (at least it was on the bikes I had with it, it may have varied from model to model).

From there I would look at plugs and coils, or maybe a loose ground wire somewhere that shorts at exactly that frequency. I've seen a loose negative battery connection cause stuff like this too.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Dean -

I would start with the PC as I've seen weird problems with them in the past. If It's a PCIII it should do ignition and fuel because the quick shifter was a direct plug in to that model if I remember correctly (at least it was on the bikes I had with it, it may have varied from model to model).

From there I would look at plugs and coils, or maybe a loose ground wire somewhere that shorts at exactly that frequency. I've seen a loose negative battery connection cause stuff like this too.

Scott
    It does have an expansion port for a quick shifter, but when I installed the PC III, it simply plugged in-line with the injector harness, so I don't see how it controls ignition. I know there is an ignition module you can add to it and when you do, you unplug the quick shifter from the PC III and plug it into the ignition module. So, how does the quick shifter work without the module? What is controlling the ignition cut-out when you have the quick shifter plugged straight into the PC III?

New plugs, coils are fine, harness is perfect as well.

I don't have the module for the exhaust servo. I just unplugged the servo and removed it when I put the full exhaust on. I wonder if that could be causing issues. Although, it ran perfectly when I raced it.
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    It does have an expansion port for a quick shifter, but when I installed the PC III, it simply plugged in-line with the injector harness, so I don't see how it controls ignition. I know there is an ignition module you can add to it and when you do, you unplug the quick shifter from the PC III and plug it into the ignition module. So, how does the quick shifter work without the module? What is controlling the ignition cut-out when you have the quick shifter plugged straight into the PC III?

New plugs, coils are fine, harness is perfect as well.

I don't have the module for the exhaust servo. I just unplugged the servo and removed it when I put the full exhaust on. I wonder if that could be causing issues. Although, it ran perfectly when I raced it.
    I am pretty sure in need the ignition module in order to use a QS with a PC3.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    I am pretty sure in need the ignition module in order to use a QS with a PC3.
    The manual says that all the quick shifter functionality is built into the PC III for my R1. Simply plug it in to the expansion port. It must use a fuel cut-off to allow the shifting.

Guess I'll be pulling the tank and air box to disconnect it. Wish it was easier to get to!!
    Kim & Dean

is it only happening in those 2 gears or are you referencing those two gears as the situation can not be replicated in higher gears because of "the man?"