Thread: Motorcyclists, stop being assholes

Motorcyclists, stop being assholes

well said.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/mot...les-1709390920

Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. It’s just the cost of doing a thing we enjoy. Clueless, idiotic drivers texting and talking and generally (or literally) jerking off are part of the equation. It sucks. I know. But that doesn’t mean you’ve been deputized as The Enforcer. You’re not helping. And it’s time to drop this self-righteous shit already.
    Nearly every week a helmet cam surfaces of a rider spotting some driver behaving badly. It’s inevitable. And it’s inevitably followed up by the tell-tale headshake, some expletives, and maybe an obscene gesture. Yes, most people are awful drivers. You know it. I know it. It’s a fact of life that can’t be avoided, whether you’re on two wheels or four.
    But the inherent vulnerability of a bike compels some riders take their grievances to the next level. Adrenaline kicks in and a sanctimonious attitude takes over, building up to a tenor that no one would put up with in any civil setting (this kind of shit would never fly in a bar or restaurant). It’s dangerous. And stupid. And the results are entirely predictable.
    Here’s just two examples that have popped up in the last week to prove the point.
    The first comes from the crew at RideApart, which inexplicably gave the rider, Samuel Ayres, a soapbox to stand on after he reprimanded a BMW convertible driver (of course) for playing with his phone at a traffic light. And then the guy clipped him down the road.
    From the video’s YouTube description:
    As I was filtering up to the front of a light, I noticed one particular man in a black BMW convertible. He was very busy texting and talking away on his mobile phone. He became visibly angry when I told him to put down his cell phone while he was in his car.
    You might become “visibly angry” too if someone came out of nowhere and started dropping F-bombs. Ayres might, too. But I certainly understand the urge. Still...
    The BMW driver’s reaction and the ensuing assault – which, according to Ayres, resulted in a concussion, two hairline fractures on his left shoulder and a broken foot – is basically attempted vehicular homicide.
    This asshole needs to go to jail.
    But how culpable is Ayres in spurring the situation to begin with? Did he believe that berating the driver would actually change his behavior forever? Would that one interaction start a cascade of circumstances in which BMW Man tells his friends about the motorcyclist that finally opened his eyes to the dangers of distracted driving? Or was Ayres just pissed – as many of us are – that drivers aren’t focusing on the task at hand, putting our lives at risk in the process, and he decided to finally say something?
    I’m going with the latter, because again, I’ve been there.
    However, that conceited idea that he could somehow change things is just further indication of the twisted sense of superiority some of us feel while on bike – that we choose to ride – despite the risks it poses.
    Then there’s this flaming asshat. He’s riding to the left of a black SUV, thinks the driver could veer into his lane (we’re invisible, after all), and rather than ease off the gas and honk his horn, he twists the throttle, bounces the engine off the rev-limiter, and blows by, calling the lady behind the wheel “a dummy.” And that’s where the civility ended. (Warning: Offensive, disgusting language above).
    After she blasts past him, he follows up to the driver’s side of the SUV, slams on the window, threatens the driver (“I’ll rip your fucking face off”), and calls her a series of revolting names. All while stopping traffic. And all while her terrified son sits in the passenger seat.
    There’s no excuse for this kind of aggression.
    It’s born out of being in a position of risk, but it also smacks of ego and arrogance. Just the fact that these videos are proudly posted as some kind of trophy collected in their quest to rid the world of idiocy comes off as a strange amalgamation of schadenfreude and narcissism. One rider, out to save the world, and call a woman a “dumb bitch” and “glassy-eyed crackhead.” Or another, who after initiating the situation that lead to his injuries, now wants you to pay for his bills.
    It’s easy to adopt this holier-than-thou attitude on a bike. We see everything because we have to be hyper-aware. We know people (friends, loved ones) that have been hurt or killed by careless – and sometimes unrepentant – drivers. The risk of dying beneath the wheel of the hapless masses is engrained in us early. It’s something we understand. And sometimes, that constant risk avoidance gets the best of us.
    But I’m convinced we’re better than these assholes make us out to be. Maybe we need to take a dedicated motorcyclist anger management class. Or just stick to dirt bikes. Or take a breath and accept the cosmic idiocy of the universe. Because what some of us are doing right now isn’t helping. In fact, it’s making the situation far, far worse.
    Illustration by Sam Woolley

Contact the author at damon@jalopnik.com

Re: Motorcyclists, stop being assholes

This is awesome! If you think you're better than the next, you're just on the other side of the fence.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Yup! Get off your cross people ! You ride a motorcycle...expect people to be idiots.

Yea, most of the time it isn't even worth it. Just mind your business and get away from idiots, that's all. What matters is getting home in one piece.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    It’s easy to adopt this holier-than-thou attitude on a bike.
    This.....

Saw a friend post this a week ago. The videos are quite ridiculous. Idk, comes with the territory. First video is horrendous and terrifying how a driver would actually run you down (hope he gets years for assault with a deadly weapon but I doubt there's a case for that), but at the same time it seems like the biker is instigating the road rage with the swear words, not to mention did you notice how the car who was to the side of them was way ahead? That biker was intentionally going super slow. Second video is just painful to watch. What is that guy doing, talking to his ex wife? The way he gets upset at her isn't normal

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Honestly, I think there's 3 kinds of motorcycle riders. One that will avoid dangerous interaction with all cagers at all costs. One that will ride aggressively sometimes and maybe aggravate some cagers, but will only throw his hands up or yell WTF. And lastly, one that do what ever the fuck he wants whether or not he should.

I think the guy in the first video probably learned a big lesson about telling people what to do on the road. I once told this girl to stop texting and she sped off while giving me the bird. I didn't expect that reaction at all. Needless to say I dont say anything unless they do something crazy. However, I think the guy in the BMW was more crazy than the guy on the bike. He's the one who should take some anger management classes..

But the last video... Wow. Immaturity at it's finest. He's in the "I do what I want whether I should or not" group.

What I'm trying to say is those men that are crazy in the head and think it's ok to bang on a woman's window and cuss her out, won't be changed by a simple article. Many motorcyclists film their adventures though, and that's why you see a new video rising every week. I think most riders aren't in that crazy last group of people and are simply being stereotyped by the riders who don't give a sh*t.
    06 GSXR 750

One that will avoid dangerous interaction with all cagers at all costs.

I like this one.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I am a very conservative rider. In fact, old ladies with walkers frequently pass me on the roads.

But what is the deal with people who cut you off in traffic then flip you the bird like YOU did something wrong?

It's like accidentally stepping on someone's foot then intentionally spitting in their face for good measure. It makes no sense to me.

If I accidentally cut someone off I usually wave and say "Sorry."

I ride aggressively, above the pace of traffic, not to a crazy extent, but enough to ensure I am always far enough away from other vehicles to give myself as much time as possible to react. I avoid heavy traffic whenever possible, I'll take the longer route any day to avoid squeezing my clutch nonstop for an hour. I ride as close to the center line as possible on roads with multiple same direction lanes, and am always watching my mirrors, ready to split lanes to avoid being rear ended at stoplights. I cover my front brake with two fingers any time I see another vehicle in my vicinity. Riding like this is much more liberating and, realistically (in my mind, anyway), safe than being emotionally aggressive, ready to rage out at cagers for any grievance.
    ​2006 Honda CBR1000RR
    2000 Honda CBR600F4 (wife's)

2008 Buell 1125R - Sold
    2005 Honda RC51 - Sold
    2003 Honda CBR954RR - RIP
    2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 - Sold
    2007 Suzuki GS500F - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Tykho View Post
    I ride aggressively, above the pace of traffic, not to a crazy extent, but enough to ensure I am always far enough away from other vehicles to give myself as much time as possible to react. I avoid heavy traffic whenever possible, I'll take the longer route any day to avoid squeezing my clutch nonstop for an hour. I ride as close to the center line as possible on roads with multiple same direction lanes, and am always watching my mirrors, ready to split lanes to avoid being rear ended at stoplights. I cover my front brake with two fingers any time I see another vehicle in my vicinity. Riding like this is much more liberating and, realistically (in my mind, anyway), safe than being emotionally aggressive, ready to rage out at cagers for any grievance.
    As a guy who was almost ran over by an RV while stopped on my bike, I feel some of this. Watching your ass is SO important at a stop. If I had not been on my toes, I would probably not be alive because of that RV.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Interesting article, and some good points there. HOWEVER......using your car as a deadly weapon against a motorcyclist (or bicyclist, or pedestrian) is NEVER, under any circumstances, justified or warranted. And anyone who does it should go to prison for a LONG time. While in the most convoluted way you could say the first guy "initiated" the vehicular assault, again, see above, in that assault is never justified. Was it the smart thing to do? Probably not, but things like that WILL happen, and people absolutely need to understand that a person exercising an opinion they don't like does not give them the right to run the guy over.

I got hit from behind while stopped at a light many years ago, and I can vouch for being paranoid at a stop!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

bored at work?
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I just type faster......
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    using your car as a deadly weapon against a motorcyclist (or bicyclist, or pedestrian) is NEVER, under any circumstances, justified or warranted. And anyone who does it should go to prison for a LONG time. While in the most convoluted way you could say the first guy "initiated" the vehicular assault, again, see above, in that assault is never justified.
    Unless you are Rossi, then intentionally running someone off the road is perfectly okay.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

I have rage issues...

But on a closer mark I do my best to stay clear of car drivers wherever possible.
    At lights I keep an eye on upcoming people and flash my brakes to let them know I expect them to keep their distance.
    If that doesn't work I back up as they approach. Keeping myself lined up to a easy escape if needed.

The rest is just throttle play.
    I do give cagers dirty looks and Italian gestures, but always mutter under my breath....
    Even my Goldwing can be easily crushed by an angry cager
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

It ride well for the most part. I do however move quickly though large groups of cars. Im sure someone that has no motorcycle experience probably thinks im nuts.

The guys I ride with love my intercom chatter

I for the most part hate other drivers, not only on my bike. People are stupid.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    It ride well for the most part. I do however move quickly though large groups of cars. Im sure someone that has no motorcycle experience probably thinks im nuts.

The guys I ride with love my intercom chatter

I for the most part hate other drivers, not only on my bike. People are stupid.
    +1

I move quickly through traffic until I feel I have some safe distance between myself and the cagers. Unfortunately, traffic always bunches up eventually, so I keep moving. There's simply not enough trust in the world to keep me encircled in traffic by a horde of distracted drivers on city streets. Out in the twisties, I'm perfectly content to sit behind a cage until a safe passing area comes along, and I always wave to the driver once I get past them. Well, almost always, since some of them can be assholes about it.

Board Newbie

The only time I, well as far as I know, ride aggressively is to get the heck out of the way of things. From what I can see in the few months Ive been riding speed and size are the only defense I have really. I'm not a huge fan of almost getting hit, and only once have I gone off on someone for it (they almost took out my sister on her bike) but its gotten to the point where anymore I just sigh and shake my head when someone does something stupid. I've just gotten used to the fact that its going to happen and the only thing I can do to prevent getting hit is paying attention all the time.