Thread: Helmet questions

Helmet questions

So I recently bought that EXO-1000 from koop and while it's a very nice helmet, I've gotten way too used to having my Scala on-board with me. It has no recesses for the speakers to go. So I'm selling that one (worn once to work and back).

My helmet now has 3 years, 15K, and the blood of millions of bugs on its hands... (visor?)
    So I'm helmet shopping. Couple of questions for those of you who seem to go through helmets like women go through purses...

Keep in mind I'm talking sub-$300 here because I'm poor.

-Full Face or Modular
    -Relatively quiet
    -Ability to mount a Scala
    -Internal visor if possible
    -Good ventilation. I'm fat, I have enough insulation as-is, and don't need any more.

I'm a fan of Scorpion, my only complaint about my EXO-500 is that it's loud as all get out. The 1000 is significantly quieter in every respect. I love the internal visor and probably won't buy another helmet without that feature, but if push comes to shove...
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Re: Helmet questions

Bell RS-1 + Transitions shield.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Question on the Transitions shield. I've heard they're affected significantly by ambient temperature, and I ride anywhere from 20-110 degrees, so would that affect the darkness of the shield significantly?

If you remove the liner, you can take a soldering iron or exacto knife and carefully trim out the foam for the speaker to fit snugly.
    I've done it to both my HJC's.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Question on the Transitions shield. I've heard they're affected significantly by ambient temperature, and I ride anywhere from 20-110 degrees, so would that affect the darkness of the shield significantly?
    I've ridden probably as cold as 40 and haven't had any issue. The only time it's not dark enough for me is heading into the sun at sunset.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I like HJC helmets because they fit my massive oval melon the best, and they seem pretty quiet to me. (There are a bunch of them under $100 at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...ets/f/brand-90)

There's also a Bluetooth-ready HJC modular with built-in sun visor on closeout for $175 here

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

I'll be honest, that's not the only reason I'm selling the 1000, it's also because it crowns my head a little tighter than the 500 with less padding, so it tends to hurt around the crown of the head. I'll give the HJCs a good hard look.

I know that the opinions on buying a used helmet are mixed but if you look around enough you can find used Arais for pretty cheap. Look for ones that were purchased by someone that literally only wore it a handful of times and that has been sitting around for a year in super mint condition. There are a lot of them available in the $400-$500 range but you can definitely find one ever once in a while find one for $200-$300.

I would be offering this guy $400. It may be more than what you wanted to spend but I bet it would be the last helmet you ever bought.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arai-Cosair-...dd407a&vxp=mtr

And another one. I bet you could snag this one for $300
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Arai-Cor...00f5b9&vxp=mtr

If the Corsairs arent you style here is a basic Signet. Because of how its listed with a shitty first picture he probably hasnt had much interest. Offer him $200.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arai-Signet-...7c1574&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Sun Jun 21st, 2015 at 08:26 AM.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Gold Member

Just get a dual visor. Built in shades!! I have the hjc and love it. Feel all top gun style! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post

I would be offering this guy $400. It may be more than what you wanted to spend but I bet it would be the last helmet you ever bought.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arai-Cosair-...dd407a&vxp=mtr
    I'm sure there are tons of opinions on how long to keep a helmet but in my brief research I have found that helmets are meant to be replaced. Most manufacturers put a build date in the helmet somewhere(Arai puts it on the strap, Suomy stamps it on the inside of the shell) The helmet has a four or five year life span from that time. It makes sense when you think about delamination and material breakdown possibilities.

The only reason I bring this up is that this has always been one of the factors that made me always put the money out there for a reputable helmet from a reputable source and never even look at buying a used helmet. It may be in mint condition but be eight years old.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I'm sure there are tons of opinions on how long to keep a helmet but in my brief research I have found that helmets are meant to be replaced. Most manufacturers put a build date in the helmet somewhere(Arai puts it on the strap, Suomy stamps it on the inside of the shell) The helmet has a four or five year life span from that time. It makes sense when you think about delamination and material breakdown possibilities.

The only reason I bring this up is that this has always been one of the factors that made me always put the money out there for a reputable helmet from a reputable source and never even look at buying a used helmet. It may be in mint condition but be eight years old.
    All good info. I did leave out that dates should be checked. I have a few Arais from 2003 + that I wear from time to time. Both have been inspected and the interiors have been replaced. Now would I wear a helmet from 1995? Probably not.

Im not against wearing a helmet that is out of date but it all depends on how it fits, feels and how it was taken care of.

Its a personal thing for sure.
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Sun Jun 21st, 2015 at 09:30 AM.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

I have a couple of helmets that are past their "expiry" date. But I keep them for their graphics on my helmet shelf and the odd ride. But my daily helmets will always be the newer ones.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I have a couple of helmets that are past their "expiry" date. But I keep them for their graphics on my helmet shelf and the odd ride. But my daily helmets will always be the newer ones.
    Same here. I have a few that I just keep around for some reason but my daily is about a year old.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    They are not affected by temperature, I ride anywhere from 0-110* F and have never had any problems. It is also plenty dark enough for me. I swear by the transitions shields, I'll never use another.

Significant rock chips will cause the area where the chip hit to not transition anymore of course, my current screen has about 2,200 miles on it and has just one such chip. Time also degrades the transitions, I replace my shield about every 15,000 miles. After that the shield does not go as dark, and takes longer to transition.

My only complaint on the shield is in overcast/rainy days. Since it is UV activated, on overcast or rainy days it runs much darker than it should. I generally swap out my clear shield when it is overcast outside.