Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good roads, beautiful scenery, TOO MANY PEOPLE enjoy it.

Board Newbie

Good roads, beautiful scenery, TOO MANY PEOPLE enjoy it.

I realize that if anybody actually answers this question it will defeat the purpose of the question but where can I find some nice twisty roads that are NOT bumper to bumper and have reasonable speed limits?

Here is my problem. I recently moved here and am just exploring trying to find good rides.. I've ridden around Golden Gate, Pine - Deckers, Peak to Peak, Rocky Mtn, Fair Deal. All of these areas are packed with cars and a few motorcycles on weekends and the speed limits are very slow in comparison to the technicality of the road. If any of you have ridden much in New Mexico the roads are fantastic and you see only a few cars / motorcycles. With out riding 4 hours south that' pretty much what I am looking for around Denver. Anybody have ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Good roads, beautiful scenery, TOO MANY PEOPLE enjoy it.

Get up and out earlier...
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

You've got to head a couple hours out to find what you are looking for. The further away from Denver you get the less populated the roads are.

Also pick up this book, it was written by one of our members and has tons of good roads and info.

Last edited by Jmetz; Sun Jun 21st, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Weekdays ftw!

On weekends, either get out by 8am or ride farther away from town. Mid summers it's possible to get in an early evening ride and be back in town before dark.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by tbitm View Post
    ...If any of you have ridden much in New Mexico the roads are fantastic and you see only a few cars / motorcycles. ..
    Thanks in advance.
    I have, IMO other than Sandia Crest, I thought that it was a bit of a slog from ABQ to get to the roads near Jemez and Los Alamos.

FWIW the best Colorado twisties are on the west / southwestern part of this state. You owe it to yourself to ride that way sometime.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Board Newbie

Thanks all for your responses. I have been getting out by 8am but maybe even earlier would work. I'll check out the book, heading further southwest etc and keep enjoying the scenery.

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I have, IMO other than Sandia Crest, I thought that it was a bit of a slog from ABQ to get to the roads near Jemez and Los Alamos.

FWIW the best Colorado twisties are on the west / southwestern part of this state. You owe it to yourself to ride that way sometime.
    I happened to live in Los Alamos so the Jamez were in my back yard so maybe I was a bit spoiled.

I'm in Charleston, SC for the time being and always looking for that next move that'll get me back to CO. It's hot as hell here and the humidity straight SUCKS!. There's not a twisty road within 5 hours of this place (although, that 5 hours puts you in the middle of dragon country). Get the book and enjoy whatever you have access to. Head further out west. Once you get out past the divide, there are some amazing roads with no one around. Riding in the foot hills gets tiresome because everyone else wants to head out to play as well.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Don't forget the north west part of this state. 40 out to Dinosaur has some pretty good spots and various other roads out there. Google maps is your friend. As you said in the earlier, if we tell you, then it will be a place everybody already knows as the word has gotten out about all of the wonderful places to ride close by... Best of luck!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

My buddies and I were talking about this on Saturday. Seems like every year there are more and more cars on the road in the northern riding areas.

(In and around Nederland in particular). Got to head west my boy!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

On the weekends, I would head out by 6am to get my spirited riding in before the crowds.

I noticed less traffic up by FoCo/Loveland (Hwy14, Stove prairie, Rist Canyon, Devil's Gulch) than down by Deckers.

Other than that, get out of the foothills...pack a tent and head West.

No surprise that the roads that lead somewhere with an attraction (Evergreen, RMNP, Nederland, Blackhawk, Summit County) are the most crowded. RMNP is the most popular national park in the nation, so that should tell you something. But the longer you've been here the more you figure out which are the main feeder routes out of town on the weekends; and you learn to avoid them during peak travel times. For instance most cars take 36 up to Estes out of Lyons, and fewer take 7. Likewise Coal Creek Cyn is less travelled than Golden Gate, than 6 (where all the tour buses are). Bear Creek sucks because it's the Morrison and Evergreen corridor, etc.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    No surprise that the roads that lead somewhere with an attraction (Evergreen, RMNP, Nederland, Blackhawk, Summit County) are the most crowded. RMNP is the most popular national park in the nation, so that should tell you something. But the longer you've been here the more you figure out which are the main feeder routes out of town on the weekends; and you learn to avoid them during peak travel times. For instance most cars take 36 up to Estes out of Lyons, and fewer take 7. Likewise Coal Creek Cyn is less travelled than Golden Gate, than 6 (where all the tour buses are). Bear Creek sucks because it's the Morrison and Evergreen corridor, etc.
    News flash... Not even close. RMNP is #5 in the nation at 3.4 Million. Smokey Mountains is 3X that. Good recommendations on routes avoiding traffic... but its a 50/50 chance those roads will have a bike race on them pretty much any weekend in the summer.

I'm in Charleston, SC for the time being and always looking for that next move that'll get me back to CO. It's hot as hell here and the humidity straight SUCKS!. There's not a twisty road within 5 hours of this place (although, that 5 hours puts you in the middle of dragon country). Get the book and enjoy whatever you have access to. Head further out west. Once you get out past the divide, there are some amazing roads with no one around. Riding in the foot hills gets tiresome because everyone else wants to head out to play as well.
    Wanna trade? I'd gladly live in Charleston over Denver. I'm counting down the days until I'm back in the South again (I used to live 30min from the Dragon too). But you're right, finding a good road takes effort here. I prefer switchbacks to sweepers, but that's all you can find in the foothills. Add the traffic and LEO's and its a miserable weekend.
    '07 sv650

"Rocky Top, you'll always be, home sweet home to me."

Quote Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
    Wanna trade? I'd gladly live in Charleston over Denver. I'm counting down the days until I'm back in the South again (I used to live 30min from the Dragon too). But you're right, finding a good road takes effort here. I prefer switchbacks to sweepers, but that's all you can find in the foothills. Add the traffic and LEO's and its a miserable weekend.
    30 minutes from the Dragon and all the "even better" roads would rock... 5'sh hours from there makes for a VERY long and boring day of slab riding. Unfortunately for me, they don't make airplanes anywhere up in the Smoky Mountains.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Great post, I was wondering the sames thing as I just moved here from the flat lands and river valleys of MN.

I rode Squaw Pass for the first time last weekend. 74 from Morrison to Evergreen was fantastic. Squaw Pass seemed like it would have been an excellent ride if it wasn't for all the bicycles. Really wasn't all that much traffic except for a few groups of cruisers. Gonna hit it one more time this week and see how bad the weekday traffic is.

Ive decided that Squaw Pass will be my "go to" road for the rest of the summer. I got slapped with $635 ticket last time I rode Golden Gate. And I saw even more LEO's on P2P. I don't ride outrageously fast, but if I have to worry about cops around every turn, it takes all the fun out of riding.
    '07 sv650

"Rocky Top, you'll always be, home sweet home to me."

$635? Holy crap, how fast were you going? I also rode Squaw this past Saturday and was a very nice and mellow ride (did leave very early so bicyclists were at a minimum). I'm avoiding p2p, gg and hwy 7 like the plague. My first ride of the season and some CSP decided to lie about my speed saying I was doing 88 in a 35 at hwy 7 which was absolute bullshit given I was sweeping and riding slow all ride, I was doing no more than 60 through that turn. Got court on the 6th so we'll see how that goes cause it's in Boulder county, have heard they got no liniency for motorcyclists but yet I've never seen those fuckers on bicycles get in trouble for taking the whole road and hauling ass coming down the canyons.
    Last edited by madvlad; Tue Jul 21st, 2015 at 05:53 AM.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Tickets can be routinely avoided with the right radar detector setup and a pair of eyes
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Here's how we beat the traffic and get to the roads that are three or four hours away...

Throw the bikes in the back of the toyhauler, leave Thursday afternoon, drive to Buena Vista or Cripple Creek, etc. pull into one of the nice RV resorts and wait for Friday morning. Piece of cake, no traffic.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Tickets can be routinely avoided with the right radar detector setup and a pair of eyes
    He was around a blind corner so doubt the radar would've done anything. I don't ride fast on the street anyways, that's what track days/superstreets are for
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
    I rode Squaw Pass for the first time last weekend. 74 from Morrison to Evergreen was fantastic. Squaw Pass seemed like it would have been an excellent ride if it wasn't for all the bicycles. Really wasn't all that much traffic except for a few groups of cruisers. Gonna hit it one more time this week and see how bad the weekday traffic is.

Ive decided that Squaw Pass will be my "go to" road for the rest of the summer. I got slapped with $635 ticket last time I rode Golden Gate. And I saw even more LEO's on P2P. I don't ride outrageously fast, but if I have to worry about cops around every turn, it takes all the fun out of riding.
    this ain't the dragon, that's for sure! There are places with less of a LEO presence, but with the massive increase in CO's population, the LEO's have been increasing too... Also, the floods two years back also reduced the front range riding options significantly. Hwy 7 isn't what it used to be...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    ..Hwy 7 isn't what it used to be...
    Still pretty good on weekdays, but nowhere as fun as before. The narrows are a bit bumpy too.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

....and sadly, will probably NEVER be the same. Shame, as 7 was my all-time fave front-range road. NONE of those Northern roads will be the same, though I think 7 was the most negatively affected.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Irony: one of the people who just moved to the area complaining that there are too many people in the area...
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S