There is a fairly healthy amount of information about this mod on the LX boards, but hardly any on the Jeep forums.

I've been looking for an oil cooler ever since I saw pretty high oil temps at the track (Just shy of 300). The traditional oil/air exchanger isn't an option for me, I've just got several problems with it, so the oil/water cooler it is.

There is some speculation that it won't fit the Jeep because a frame/suspension component will interfere, so I'll see about that. I ordered the everything needed for the LX swap; the cooler, the T-Stat housing, a new radiator hose for the water supply, and a small hose for the return. All are OEM parts that were standard on the Police package LX cars. Total price was around $230, substantially higher than it was a few years ago, where it was some $70 cheaper. I ordered most of the parts from rockauto, they were the cheapest I found after a brief Google search, and I know they can be trusted. Probably go at this next Monday. The old oil filter nipple is apparently a real pain to remove. I'll soak it in a lubricant, give it all of hell's wrath in a torch, then try it with the proper tools, affectinately know as vice-grips.

Stay tuned next week to see if the best oil cooler option will work, or if I'll have to go custom.