Thread: Motorcyclists Can Use US 36 Express Lanes for Free, Need Account and Sticker Tag

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Motorcyclists Can Use US 36 Express Lanes for Free, Need Account and Sticker Tag

Motorcyclists Can Use US 36 Express Lanes for Free, Need Account and Sticker Tag

DENVER –The Colorado Department of Transportation’s US 36 Express Lanes Phase 1 are currently open for testing, from Federal Boulevard to 88th Street in Louisville/Superior, with toll collection being waived until Wednesday, July 22, for all vehicles. When toll collection commences, all drivers, including motorcyclists and carpoolers, must have an ExpressToll account and pass to use the lanes for free.

“The existing motorcycle tags used on E-470 and the Northwest Parkway will work on all US 36 and I-25 Express Lanes, but if you don’t have an existing tag, you will need to create an account and order a sticker tag to ride for free in the Express Lanes,” said CDOT Communications Director Amy Ford. “We are excited that the US 36 Express Lanes offer an HOV option and want to make sure our motorcyclists take advantage of the transportation choices available to them on this corridor.”

CDOT and the High Performance Transportation Enterprise (HPTE) are working with their partners to remind motorcyclists that if an Express Lane offers free HOV/carpool, like US 36 and the I-25 Express Lanes, then motorcycles can also use the lane for free. In order to do so, drivers will need to create an ExpressToll account and get a sticker tag that will identify them as a motorcyclist and not charge a toll. Motorcycles with a tag can use the lanes for free no matter how many people are on the vehicle.

Motorcyclists without an ExpressToll account can create an account online at Expresstoll.com. If your household already has an ExpressToll account you can simply add your motorcycle to the account information without any additional deposit. New accounts require an opening account balance of $35.

Once an account is set up, account holders will receive a sticker tag in the mail. Once installed, motorcyclists can begin using the HOV Express Lanes for free. The sticker tag will need to be installed horizontally on the motorcycle headlamp, one inch from the bottom. The required $35 opening balance can also be used for tolls on highways that do not offer an HOV option, including E-470 and the Northwest Parkway.

The US 36 Express Lanes Project is a multi-modal project that is building an express lane in each direction on US 36, in addition to the two free general purpose lanes. The Express Lanes will accommodate High Occupancy Vehicles(HOV), Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and tolled vehicles. In addition, the project is replacing several bridges, building a commuter bikeway, adding BRT improvements, and installing Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) for tolling, transit and traveler information, and incident management. Phase 1, from Federal Boulevard to 88th Street in Louisville/Superior, will open to the public this summer. Phase 2, from 88th Street to Table Mesa Drive in Boulder, will open in 2016.

For more information about the project, please visit www.codot.gov or our mobile website at m.us36expresslanes.com.
    To receive free email updates during the project, click on the cell phone icon in the upper right corner. You can then subscribe to a variety of lists including “US 36 Express Lanes Project.”

###
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Re: Motorcyclists Can Use US 36 Express Lanes for Free, Need Account and Sticker Tag

The sticker tag will need to be installed horizontally on the motorcycle headlamp, one inch from the bottom.
    I can tell you from experience that on a sportbike you can put it on the lower edge of your windscreen and even on the inside of the windscreen. I would be cautious about putting it on the inside of a mirrored windscreen as the mirroring may be metallic which would block the RFID transmission

Re: Motorcyclists Can Use US 36 Express Lanes for Free, Need Account and Sticker Tag

I had posted about this here but it's good to have this info out there so people know ahead of time. I still think it's a stupid decision to require bikes to have the sticker/transponder. Haven't decided whether I want to pay the $35 to be able to use it or just stick to the free lanes...
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I've had the toll pass on my bike forever.. it's handy if there is a traffic jam. I can just hop on E470 and get home quickly. Paying the toll is usually worth my time
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Remember the $35 is just a deposit to cover tolls and not a fee. When you cancel your account you get whatever is in there back.

Yea, but the only one I could ever see using is 36. Also, can I get multiple stickers for my $35 (multiple street bikes that all get ridden...)? It still just seems ridiculous to me to require the sticker to use it on a motorcycle, it's pretty easy to tell motorcycle vs car. The car version of it isn't any better, you have to a transponder that has a switch between toll and HOV and then remember to set correctly.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

You can have multiple transponders on one account, I currently have 3. And if your balance drops below $10 they re-up you automatically.
    I swore I would never pay to drive on roads I could get around. But, it became too convenient when I was working in the Springs and had to hit 225 @ 17:30.
    Last edited by Bueller; Fri Jun 26th, 2015 at 01:46 PM.

This would be nice if this was an option on the E470 as well. They still charge you the same price as a car when you drive on E470 as there are no carpool or HOV lanes. Regardless, it should be free to bikes on E470. I just put my hand over the plate when I drive on it as I go through the charge points.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green