Thread: Recommended Bishop's Castle Route?

Recommended Bishop's Castle Route?

I've never done this ride, was curious what route people take...

Looking around, thought this route up from moco:

https://goo.gl/G1q6D8

I was thinking about doing this tomorrow, but Sunday is more likely. Thanks for suggestions.

Re: Recommended Bishop's Castle Route?

I like your route but that little segment on 50 on the return is usually real slow, way out is good though
    2011 ZX10R
    2007 GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I like your route but that little segment on 50 on the return is usually real slow, way out is good though
    Yea I really only scoped a route down there. Any suggestions for the route home? I'm in Denver, but it doesn't seem like I-25 home would make much sense.

Anyone is welcome to join me tomorrow, I will run a slightly modified route if I end up going solo. Thinking we should hit the road early like 7am.

Want to meet at 715am at moco?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiutis View Post
    Want to meet at 715am at moco?
    Ah I was headed to bed figured I was doing this solo. Yep, that works for me see you there. KSU no later than 7:30am just FYI. This is a long ride.

Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    Yea I really only scoped a route down there. Any suggestions for the route home? I'm in Denver, but it doesn't seem like I-25 home would make much sense.

Anyone is welcome to join me tomorrow, I will run a slightly modified route if I end up going solo. Thinking we should hit the road early like 7am.
    suggestion I'd have is ride really conservative on that stretch knowing that it opens up again once you turn onto 9
    2011 ZX10R
    2007 GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    suggestion I'd have is ride really conservative on that stretch knowing that it opens up again once you turn onto 9
    Oh OK great thanks for the heads up!

That's pretty much the route we usually take, but I don't go through Cripple Creek anymore. Haven't been on it in a few years, but 67 was pretty rough and lots of traffic. I now go 1 mile past Divide, and hang a left onto 42 and take that over to 1 and down to 11. It cuts some time off the route as well.

That stretch of Hwy 50 is actually pretty fun. Even though it has traffic, it's mostly 4 lanes so you can still get around everyone.
    69 from Texas Creek to Westcliffe is the high speed part with lots of long straights.

Even though a lot of people bail on the ride back, and take I25, I ALWAYS take the same route back. Traffic is usually lighter, since it's later in the day and all those roads are just as fun going back as they were going down!

Sure wish I could join you...stupid work. Maybe next time.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

As always thanks for the advice Dave. Bummer indeed, I'm sure we'll do another!

Good long day of riding! The castle is getting taller.
    Got hailed on and a flashy thunder and lighting show down the Kenosha pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiutis View Post
    Good long day of riding! The castle is getting taller.
    Got hailed on and a flashy thunder and lighting show down the Kenosha pass.
    That was quite the lightning storm... never been hailed on before, that was fun. Rain was just sheeting off of the road too... Thankfully it didn't last long!

Thanks for joining Tiutis, and I hope Jim made it home OK - not sure which route he chose, but instead of the reverse route we took 50 west to 285 and just took that all the way home with the hopes of avoiding a huge storm going over Woodland Park that was headed right down our planned path. I think we actually missed the worst of it, even if we did get slammed for a few miles over Kenosha. Colorado afternoons in the summertime!
    Last edited by arrrghhh; Mon Jun 29th, 2015 at 09:05 AM.