Thread: Last second work - before the 4th of July weekend

Board Newbie

Last second work - before the 4th of July weekend

My 03 SV1000s has suddenly developed an unnerving problem - it cuts out/dies occasionally under medium to heavy throttle, 4-6000 RPM. The bike goes dead - gauge cluster is blank etc. for a split second, then it "magically" restarts itself. This sometimes happens so fast that I'm still on the throttle and get a blast of power when the bike restarts. Not safe if that happens in a tight twistie, obviously. I'm also feeling a little hesitation between 4-5000 RPM. I had a similar issue with my previous car, and new plugs & wires solved the problem, so I'm *really* hoping it's worn out spark plugs and not a bigger FI problem.

Any ideas for shops or mechanics that might be able to get me in on short notice? I had a big ride planned out for this weekend and would hate to be stuck at home! I would do it myself, but have never changed spark plugs, and have a spot in a parking ramp instead of a real garage to work in.
    Last edited by jsprech; Wed Jul 1st, 2015 at 08:25 AM.

Board Newbie

Re: Last second work - before the 4th of July weekend

One other note - I had this issue last weekend in RMNP at 12,000', figured it was bad gas or altitude related. Fresh tank of 91 octane non-ethanol gas and 5,280' Denver riding... same problem!

As simple as it sounds make sure your battery connection is tight. For local shops check with Tfog, Mad Moto, Quick Cycles..
    Last edited by Jmetz; Wed Jul 1st, 2015 at 09:26 AM.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Stator/rectifier
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Stator/rectifier
    I don't seem to have any charging issues though - battery is brand new this season, starts right up every time.

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    As simple as it sounds make sure your battery connection is tight. For local shops check with Tfog, Mad Moto, Quick Cycles..
    I had MadMoto on my list to call... they aren't open until 10AM. Thanks for the other two suggestions, they didn't pop up on google search.
    I will certainly check my battery connection before I take the bike in - hadn't thought of that, thanks! I put a new battery in this spring and it's entirely possible that a screw has worked its way loose.

Google or research on the SV forums the green plug of death, I'll almost guarantee that's your problem. On the SV there is an ignition wire that runs through a green plug that's buried underneath the front of the gas tank. On the S models, there isn't enough airflow to the front of the bike, and that circuit has too much amperage for the gauge of wire, and it melts that plug.

It causes intermittent shut downs, exactly what you're describing, and it's caused more than a few SV's to fall over.

I never experienced it on my SV, but the plug did have some blackening from heat. I cut the wire on both ends of the plug, and soldered it directly back to itself, bypassing the plug/connector.

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Google or research on the SV forums the green plug of death, I'll almost guarantee that's your problem. On the SV there is an ignition wire that runs through a green plug that's buried underneath the front of the gas tank. On the S models, there isn't enough airflow to the front of the bike, and that circuit has too much amperage for the gauge of wire, and it melts that plug.

It causes intermittent shut downs, exactly what you're describing, and it's caused more than a few SV's to fall over.

I never experienced it on my SV, but the plug did have some blackening from heat. I cut the wire on both ends of the plug, and soldered it directly back to itself, bypassing the plug/connector.
    I read through that thread- my bike hasn't gone completely dead like some people described, but there was one guy who was having similar problems (bike cutting out momentarily while running). Thanks for the heads-up! Looks like I will be buying a soldering iron today.

Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Could also be the kickstand switch...?
    06 GSXR 750

Tip over switch. I had an '03 1000S, and I had to fill it with silicon. Under hard acceleration it would cut the motor. I think I had to cycle the kill switch or the ignition to start it again but it was a while ago and my memory is a bit foggy on that.

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jsprech View Post
    I read through that thread- my bike hasn't gone completely dead like some people described, but there was one guy who was having similar problems (bike cutting out momentarily while running). Thanks for the heads-up! Looks like I will be buying a soldering iron today.
    I gave this a shot - it was indeed the problem! My knuckles were bleeding and there was much swearing involved, but I rode 900 mi this weekend to New Mexico and back after the "green plug of death" fix. Thanks a million to Aaron for the suggestion, saved me hundreds in shop bills. It's crazy how one seemingly unimportant little wire can kill the whole bike.

You're welcome, I'm glad it fixed it and you were able to save a bunch of money!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Google or research on the SV forums the green plug of death... I never experienced it on my SV, but the plug did have some blackening from heat. I cut the wire on both ends of the plug, and soldered it directly back to itself, bypassing the plug/connector.
    He even helped me do it a few years back as we were in there playing around with desnorkling and the TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator), better to be proactive about some things as the consequences of bike shutdown in certain situations can be fatal.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

That's another thing you need to order jsprech, is a TRE. Search those SV portal forums, it won't be hard to find. It is simply astonishing how much smoother the bike will run after a $15 retard eliminator is added.