Thread: How hard will this title be to get?

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

How hard will this title be to get?

Looking at a bike on CL, no other indications of weirdness and the dude runs the Euro-trash club, so I have some faith. That said I asked about the title and he said:
    "
    I went as far as getting the Colorado VIN verification form completed. That is required for out of state titles. I have the clear Texas title from the original owner, his name is on the receipt from when the bike was purchased new, all his service records, the spare key with duplication code card."

How hard is it going to be to get it titled in my name based on that?

Thanks.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: How hard will this title be to get?

As long as the only name on the title is the Texas guy it shouldn't be a problem. I bought my bike out of New Mexico and all the DMV did is walk out and check the VIN against the title.

What you have to watch out for is if the Colorado guy's name is on the title. In Colorado only licensed dealers can reassign title. So if the title reads Billy Bob from Texas --->You, you're fine (technically illegal but if know one knows...) If its Billy Bob from Texas--->Colorado guy--->You, you'll likely have a problem.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by koop View Post
    As long as the only name on the title is the Texas guy it shouldn't be a problem. I bought my bike out of New Mexico and all the DMV did is walk out and check the VIN against the title.

What you have to watch out for is if the Colorado guy's name is on the title. In Colorado only licensed dealers can reassign title. So if the title reads Billy Bob from Texas --->You, you're fine (technically illegal but if know one knows...) If its Billy Bob from Texas--->Colorado guy--->You, you'll likely have a problem.
    That's what I thought, nice to have it confirmed as well. Thank you
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

There is one other option but it is a hassle. Get two powers of attorney from the seller then you go get a title is his name using the first POA then after that is issued you transfer it to yourself with the second POA. I have done this before but it has been some years so I cant swear it is still possible.

Koop is right.

If eurotrash guy signed the title, then he will have to title the bike in his name, and then fill it out as a seller to you.
    2005 GSXR 1000 - Not stock...
    2006 SV650S - Rebuild in progress, with some upgrades...
    1998 Yamaha WR400 - Not stock...
    2008 Dodge QCSB 6.7L Cummins - 525/1019 HP/TQ

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Grant H. View Post
    Koop is right.

If eurotrash guy signed the title, then he will have to title the bike in his name, and then fill it out as a seller to you.
    --------

I've done this. Simpler. They get to handle any questions if the forms are incorrect.

But you can call your local city/county license office and work the details with them. They have a form that Colorado Guy signs saying 'oops'. BUT that works for in state titles. No idea the impact on out of state ones.
    I did have to send a similar 'power of attorney' form to a seller (it was Grandma, so no big deal) for incorrectly filling out a title transfer from out of state. It can be done, but it takes time and energy. And your money.

From the example above, NM has VERY lenient rules on bike titles.