Thread: Arai's new offering - coming soon to lighten your pocketbook

Arai's new offering - coming soon to lighten your pocketbook

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Re: Arai's new offering - coming soon to lighten your pocketbook

The Corsair-X will be available in October 2015 and will retail for $839.95 to $849.95 for solid colors and $969.95 for graphic options.
    That's about 1/4 of what I paid for my motorcycle.

No thanks, LOL

That's a huge price, and I see hardly anything special about it. It's a typical product advancement as far as I'm concerned, just slight improvements here and there. They talk huge about the new shield, but shit it's still behind Shoei and Bell in that department. As for increased airflow, that's great, but increased airflow means increased noise. My Bell flows more air than any of its competitors, but it's consequently the loudest. Pick your poison.

Well they do cost that much cause they put tons of time and money into research, still couldn't justify $1,000 on a lid (just like the Skully) given a helmet half that cost protects your nogging and still pretty good. Hell of you have that kind of money throw at it, more power to ya
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

A couple things;

I bet a TON of that cost is to cover legal or potential legal expenses. Without knowing specific numbers, I bet when someone "Sues" due to injury or accident they go after the helmet manufacturer, it broke their collarbone, the eye port is too small so they didn't see something, it failed to stop a brain injury, etc...

When I recently bought a helmet the guy sat down with me and went into detail about what goes into an Arai helmet from the weave and type of material used in the shell to the foam used. It was pretty amazing the engineering that goes into them…

Now I didn't buy a top of the line $900 helmet. I just can't bring myself to spend that cash not knowing if an $900 helmet is going to do a better job then say a $500 helmet. With that said, you really can't put a price on the safety of your noggin'.
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

I was talking with someone else about this subject and they brought up the ROI(return on investment) For example $900 divided by five years at least. Possibly more if you take care of it and you don't necessarily feel like your riding style requires replacing every five years. That is $180 a year at the most for arguably the best head protection on the market.

I thought it was great logic and a helmet these days seems to be an investment.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    ... That is $180 a year at the most for arguably the best head protection on the market.
    I always get good laugh when people complain about the price of protecting their brain. I realize most don't need or use their brain, but I depend on mine to make a living. I'd wrap my head in $100,000 if it existed and I could afford it. All of our helmets are Arai, love 'em!!

Since 2003, I've had three Arias and two of them are Corsairs. Bought my latest Corsair about a month ago. Super light and very comfortable. Excellent venting, but like Aaron said, super loud! And, the stupid little wing on the back actually works. I was very surprised.

Something to be aware of is, Arai down sized their check pads. They have a chart on their website showing what size the pads used to be and what they are now. Most went down 5mm. That was enough to make my new helmet fit a little sloppy. I contacted Motorcyclegear.com and they were unaware as well and swapped them out for free. Those guys are great!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I'm with Dean. I've worn Arai helmets for 32 years now. I bought a Shoei once and didn't care for it. Bought my current Corsair six years ago and it's the best one I've ever had. The ventilation is awesome. It was very nice on my 20 mile ride home yesterday in 93 degrees. It's still in really good shape, but I'll probably get a new one when these come out. I've got a lot invested in my noggin, so I don't mind spending this kind of money every 6-7 years for a helmet that fits me incredibly well, and is well engineered.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I'm not saying the Arai isn't good, don't take this the wrong way.

But it's asinine to believe this lid offers better protection than the top shelf offers from the other manufacturers. So my suggestion for buying a lid is to establish your budget, and try out the lids at the top of that budget. See which one fits you the best, airflow, noise, lift, visibility, and appearance. But it isn't automatically the best because it says Arai, just like the R1 isn't the best just because it says Yamaha on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I was talking with someone else about this subject and they brought up the ROI(return on investment) For example $900 divided by five years at least. Possibly more if you take care of it and you don't necessarily feel like your riding style requires replacing every five years. That is $180 a year at the most for arguably the best head protection on the market.

I thought it was great logic and a helmet these days seems to be an investment.
    Never saw it this way before, good point..... I'm not saying by any means that a helmet for $200 is going to be the same quality, however just saying that for what it is a $500 Arai even will do the same job. I have a Scorpion R2000 right now and it's a great lid, even has an easy access for paramedics to pull your lid out without too much head wiggle. Wish my head would fit an Arai but neither Shoei or Arai fit me. There is no price for safety.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I have been a Suomy guy for a while and have been very pleased with them for a lot of the same reasons everyone states for their Arai. It was never about money for me, it was more about fit. Hell one of my Suomy's cost more than Arai at the time.

I agree with the mentality of "What's your head worth" especially when you apply the ROI logic.

I may try one of these just to give Arai another shot. The biggest thing that appeals to me is the internal adjustments they have incorporated.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Honestly, It has nothing to do about brand.
    Its all about fit, Ive gone down in both scorpion and arai's.
    To this day i think about how different one wreck would've been had it been something else. Each model fits different, its about what fits your head best.
    The best thing i ever did, was go to a hat maker and they put a hat on my head, that then punched holes in a piece of paper that showed the shape of my head.
    Get this done, im telling you it will make all the difference in knowing what helmets to try vs not.
    It amazes me, how someone gets use to the feeling of a helmet that wasn't designed for their head shape, but its all they know. so that's what they stay with, and a proper fitting helmet feels to tight or pressure points are moved to different spots on the head.

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c