Thread: Backup Camera install questions

Backup Camera install questions

Our old burb died (19 years old with 162k miles)), so we traded up a 2011. It doesn't have a backup camera and I really want one for hooking up the trailers. My wife SUCKS at any instructions on left, right, 1 ft, 1 inch, stop! It is so frustrating after 4 years of trying, she just doesn't "get it" on how to guide me back. So to save our marriage stress for other issues, I am gonna go ahead and put in a camera.

Question is what have others done to retro fit a camera? After reviewing, it looks like my best option is to get a Garmin navigation and integrate a camera. Amazon components are @$400 for DIY OR parts and install by cartoys is @$600 installed. I don't HAVE to have the navigation as part of this, but need a display installed and 1) I don't want to do a full stereo replacement and 2) rearview mirror replacement isn't really an option by cartoys since they cannot remove "safety features" i.e. onstar.

Has anyone else had other solutions they used? And how was the result?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Re: Backup Camera install questions

I bought a Pyle kit from Amazon for around $70. It had a license plate camera and a 5" screen. I chose to power it via toggle switch so I could control it when driving instead of relying on the reverse light. I also mounted the monitor using a cell phone mount from ProClip.

Came across this the other day when I was researching backup cameras; I have a navigation unit so I went that route so not sure how good this one is, but a option

http://www.amazon.com/4UCAM-Backup-C.../dp/B00HWB91VY

another unit

http://www.amazon.com/Tadibrothers-i...VX2G6K376Y5YAD

Cheap display I saw on page; wouldn't be to hard to run a camera

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OZ4QRMW?psc=1
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Jul 27th, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

If you are just wanting it for the camera I would go with something like THIS. You just switch out your rear view mirror instead of adding a big screen or new head unit.

Wiring might be a little tricky though as it probably at a minimum needs to know when the car is in reverse (or you could run a toggle like birch did).
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

My real focus is just a backup camera. So birch's solution makes sense and helps keep cost down. I d like the idea of toggle power vs integrating with the reverse system.

ezzzy, the issue with the mirror, is having to deal with disabling the onstar or any impact it would have to not disabling correctly. But the truck could use a larger review. Side mirrors are nice and large, rearview seems small in comparison.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

$40.00 knock off go-pro wi-fi'd to your phone. Done.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    My real focus is just a backup camera. So birch's solution makes sense and helps keep cost down. I d like the idea of toggle power vs integrating with the reverse system.

ezzzy, the issue with the mirror, is having to deal with disabling the onstar or any impact it would have to not disabling correctly. But the truck could use a larger review. Side mirrors are nice and large, rearview seems small in comparison.
    I also had the ability to disconnect my plate camera and plug in a camera for my travel trailer. You can buy a cable with integrated power as well making it super easy. Just make sure you have the cable going on the right direction. I didn't and that made crawling under the trailer twice as fun!