Thread: Learn to wheelie (2015)

Learn to wheelie (2015)

Saw there was a similar thread made years ago so I'll start a new one.

I've seen enough wheelies lately down Sheridan and Federal recently and I need to learn. For both the experience, and also I think it would come in handy being used to balance the front wheel as to help with launches on the strip. Also, I can't think of a single time I've seen a wheelie on a CSC ride so it's time to branch out!

Anybody want to?

I have a truck with a 6.5' bed so I could fit at least two bikes in the back. Reason I say this is then we have a cage present in case something goes wrong with either a person or god forbid-a crashed bike, then we have a mode of transport. Also not sure if anybody has one, but if anyone has like an old track bike or something that isn't street legal but would be good to learn on, the truck could be useful for transporting it.

Gauging interest right now. My work schedule is pretty last minute but I should have some time off a week from now and onwards.

Let's see where the interest is. Any ideas where a good parking lot would be?

I live in Westminster btw, but like I said since I have the truck we'll just see what would work best.

I'm learning towards getting a used dirtbike to use on that. Both my bikes have OEM fairings on them still and I just got done putting my R6 back together...
    Last edited by GMR; Sun Aug 9th, 2015 at 06:44 PM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Learn to wheelie (2015)

There's lots at Havana and I-70 that stunters go to and practice up, definitely hit up an isolated area and what not. I used to practice out there when I first started riding but never followed up with it and learned to wheelie. Crazy how I've dragged knee at 100+ but not wheelied yet
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Currently perusing CL in search for a cheap dirtbike because I'm definitely going to get my feet wet on that first. Probably do it on some trails.

I refuse to ride anything other than a 2 smoker. Would a 125 or 250 be best to simulate a sportbike??

I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Gold Member

First off if you're going to use a dirty to learn wheelies youbdont want a two stroke. It is nothing like a rocket.

You want a four stroke. It will help you learn the throttle control and brake control you need. Two strokes are terrible for wheelies.

Buut I'm selling 2004 cr250. Its just really far away. Lol

How so? From what I understand, two strokes produce power up high and don't have much down low which sounds exactly like my bike.

Actually a 2 stroke has much more power/torque on demand out of the gate. You're into the powerband fairly quickly. All things being equal of course. Essentially a 4 stroke has to double the displacement to be equal. A 4 stroke will offer a smoother and easier controlled delivery.
    Last edited by Jmetz; Sun Aug 9th, 2015 at 10:24 PM.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I taught my kids wheelies on 2 smokers. You get it down on one of them, you will have it down pretty much anywhere.

This could be interesting. I'm not interested at all in riding on one wheel. Hell I have enough trouble with two and the 1199 seems to wheelie on it's on at least once every time I ride it. These events always make for good stories and screen names. Hoopty never outlived his wheelie instructional videos that he was a part of.

Good luck guys and girls. Wheelies look cool if you keep them in the right context/place.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I also have never wheelied... Gonna keep an eye on this thread.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

I'd like to learn. When I had access to the Zero FX I was able to put it in sport mode and roll into a wheelie. However I didn't have it long enough to get much practice. I do agree that a dirt bike is the way to go.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

2 stroke is not where I would start. They have put me on my ass a couple of times. Now my YZF 450 used to pull 'em up in 3rd and it was a 4 speed tranny.
    Trail riding I power wheelie and some clutch up's on the 2 stroke (300exc) but that's a lot different from getting to an maintaining balance point, which is the stuff wheelies are made of.

BTW Ultimate wheelie machines

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    2 stroke is not where I would start. They have put me on my ass a couple of times. Now my YZF 450 used to pull 'em up in 3rd and it was a 4 speed tranny.
    Trail riding I power wheelie and some clutch up's on the 2 stroke (300exc) but that's a lot different from getting to an maintaining balance point, which is the stuff wheelies are made of.

BTW Ultimate wheelie machines
    I don't agree with you about 2 strokes, although I have 12oclocked 2 bikes and they were both 2 stroke dork bikes. That being said, they have a good power band and almost no weight which makes them great to learn roll ons and balance point wheelies.

Gold Member

Problem with two strokes is they teach you to chop the throttle. Something that if you carry over into a sportbike will create for a very very bad day.

What you want to learn is throttle control and brake control. First thing first to gain comfort in using the clutch to bring it up.

This helps control the power in the wheelie and how fast it comes up. You can do power wheelies but it will kill most of your power before you hit balance point.

You will be surprise how far back balance is. For safety you want to learn that rear brake. It will save you money in the long run.

Once you start riding out some wheelies get used to bringing them down with the brake. Be prepared to replace some fork seals.

Once you get used to bringing the wheelie down with the brake it will become muscle memory and will help save you for when a wheelie gets uncomfortable.

Keep it simple and at your own pace for safety and cost of replacing parts.

Step one. Clutch with very smooth throttle. Step two learn rear brake. Step three enjoy yourself. Lol.

Last edited by #1Townie; Mon Aug 10th, 2015 at 10:04 PM.

Big sprockets and low tire pressure FTMFW!
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

waiting to hear back from some CL ads about dirtbikes. Still gonna go with a 2 stroker cause the sound (guess im a purist)

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Problem with two strokes is they teach you to chop the throttle. Something that if you carry over into a sportbike will create for a very very bad day.

What you want to learn is throttle control and brake control. First thing first to gain comfort in using the clutch to bring it up.

This helps control the power in the wheelie and how fast it comes up. You can do power wheelies but it will kill most of your power before you hit balance point.

You will be surprise how far back balance is. For safety you want to learn that rear brake. It will save you money in the long run.

Once you start riding out some wheelies get used to bringing them down with the brake. Be prepared to replace some fork seals.

Once you get used to bringing the wheelie down with the brake it will become muscle memory and will help save you for when a wheelie gets uncomfortable.

Keep it simple and at your own pace for safety and cost of replacing parts.

Step one. Clutch with very smooth throttle. Step two learn rear brake. Step three enjoy yourself. Lol.

Nice picture

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Big sprockets and low tire pressure FTMFW!
    Hahaha..

I never had a big sprocket.....

Senior Member Moderator

Good to see some activity in this subthread, and some pretty informative posts as well. Keep it up, guys! It's a great aspect of learning to ride and control your bike. The more education, and skills development, the better!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I've never done a wheelie.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I've never done a wheelie.

and he has the scars to prove it
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Board Newbie

Hey. I just got a grom about a month ago with the plan to learn to stunt. I'm in Arvada, but from what I'm seeing everything happens around 70 and Havana?

I'd like to learn too. I'm in Thornton. Just update this thread if anyone finds a location. I've been trying for a while, but honestly cant get my bike up for more than a quick hop...
    '07 sv650

"Rocky Top, you'll always be, home sweet home to me."

I got 04 636 stunt bike for sale if anyone is interested pm me
    TintTechonline.com or PM me- Tint for your car!!!