Thread: CSC Does The PCH

CSC Does The PCH

I am going to start planning a trip to ride out to and down the Pacific Costal Highway then back for next year. Figured I'd see if others are interested. I would ask that you be genuinely interested with actual intentions of making it and not likely to back out.

I'm figuring this to be 1-1/2 to 2 weeks and looking at late spring right now. I welcome input from others that have done it regarding route, timing, lodging, costs, etc.
    Last edited by Jmetz; Wed Aug 12th, 2015 at 11:23 PM.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Re: CSC Does The PCH

I would be interested.....but will be trailering there. I am debating going labor day weekend coming up as well if I don't make Miller that weekend as well. I would ask Matty if he was interested but I know he has a newborn so that is probably a no-go.

2 Jews and an Asain!! We'd fit right in!! Hahaha...

ya most likely a no go for me with the new one around!
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I'd be interested too. I was thinking about riding around all the vineyards in northern Cali next spring.
    Contact me for all yourAmsoil needs. 720-515-0963
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/007/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    2011 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
    2004 Suzuki SV650 Sold

Sounds like a great trip but not my riding style at all. You guys and girls if any go have fun.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I would be interested.....but will be trailering there. I am debating going labor day weekend coming up as well if I don't make Miller that weekend as well. I would ask Matty if he was interested but I know he has a newborn so that is probably a no-go.
    Cool. Let's us know how it goes if you head out there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    I'd be interested too. I was thinking about riding around all the vineyards in northern Cali next spring.
    It'd be awesome if you go, I know you've rode out there a couple times. I dunno about all the vineyards, seen one seen em all ya? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post

Waiting for the punch line.

PCH is nice to go north/south between points A&B, but the icing on the cake is often off CA-1 in the side canyons. In SoCal, PCH is suckage getting from one beach town to another, with the exception being able to connect side canyon twisties in the Santa Monica mountains. In middle california (north of San Luis Obispo) traffic thins out and becomes a better scenic ride as you go north.

Beware the "June Gloom" - as locals call the month of June, when the marine layer blankets the coast overnight and persists through the late mornings.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Thanks for the info Jeff. From what I've been reading I think north to south is ideal. I came across a company that runs the route and I think they're route might not be too shabby.

Obviously their timeline can be shortened up quite a bit. They are only riding 200ish miles/day.

I wouldn't be opposed to timing this to hit superbike at Laguna either.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Waiting for the punch line.

PCH is nice to go north/south between points A&B, but the icing on the cake is often off CA-1 in the side canyons. In SoCal, PCH is suckage getting from one beach town to another, with the exception being able to connect side canyon twisties in the Santa Monica mountains. In middle california (north of San Luis Obispo) traffic thins out and becomes a better scenic ride as you go north.

Beware the "June Gloom" - as locals call the month of June, when the marine layer blankets the coast overnight and persists through the late mornings.
    Pretty much nailed it. Also Hwy 299 is awesome, between McKinleyville and Redding, CA. Not necessarily on the route, but a great side road to enjoy if'n you get bored with the PCH. Make sure to plan half a day for the redwoods, just tooling around, taking photos, good to plan a meal around. Also, don't forget the Spruce Goose at McMinnville - just thinking if you're there, might as well stop, right? They also have an A-12, the predecessor of the SR-71.

Also, if I were going, which I'm not, but if I were, I'd take the 101 all the way north around Olympic National Park.

I've also always wanted to go to Joshua Tree National park near LA, but then again, I'm not going.

Gonna ride out, or trailer the bikes. There is a lot of really boring, and some really cool stuff in between here and the PCH.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

I'll join, in a car
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I'll join, in a car
    Support vehicle!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Hey why not actually, not a bad idea
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Interested in going but not sure if it's really feasible to take off for a week or two and leaving the kiddo at home.

But I would trailer.

Another cool place, map wise - that's a little closer to home - check out Boise Idaho and all the national forest twisties running to Montana
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Senior Member Moderator

If you can afford the time to break away from the PCH for a day or two, I'd highly suggest taking a detour through wine country. There are some great roads and amazing vistas. You'd be doing yourself a disservice to miss it, but it all comes down to time allotments. Either way the PCH is an item I'd like to take off my bucket list some day. Have fun!

Depending on your time line for side trips Yosemite, Hwy 4, 49, aka Gold country, Redwoods for sure. I'm interested but would probably catch up in the middle. My folks have a place east of Sacramento that I would start from.

Portland! Craft beers and food trucks!!

Noteable side trips not on the above map, take a few extra spare days to remove the last vestiges of your chicken strips:

0. There are a few side roads along the central / south OR coast that run inland 30mi or so before looping back - great pavement, no traffic, twisty among the tunnel of trees. OR-229 comes to mind.

1. Spend a day or two between SFO and Santa Cruz - lots of nice roads off Skyline Blvd (stop at Alice's Restaurant) and you can ride down to Monterey if WSBK is racing there.

2. Santa Monica Mountains - inland from Malibu. Lots of nice roads with Mulholland and the Rock Store. Ride down to the beach at Malibu, have some fish tacos and ride back up. Often see exotic bikes and cars.

3. Angeles Crest Hwy and high desert canyons that go over to Palm Springs

4. Northern San Diego county has some nice canyon rides through orange or avocado groves and up over the mountains to Borrego Springs (and mmm... Pie in Julian Ca)
    Last edited by asp_125; Fri Aug 14th, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Thank you for all the info guys! I've got some figuring out to do.