Thread: CSC Does The PCH

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: CSC Does The PCH

Thanks for the info Jeff. From what I've been reading I think north to south is ideal. I came across a company that runs the route and I think they're route might not be too shabby.

Obviously their timeline can be shortened up quite a bit. They are only riding 200ish miles/day.

I wouldn't be opposed to timing this to hit superbike at Laguna either.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Re: CSC Does The PCH

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Waiting for the punch line.

PCH is nice to go north/south between points A&B, but the icing on the cake is often off CA-1 in the side canyons. In SoCal, PCH is suckage getting from one beach town to another, with the exception being able to connect side canyon twisties in the Santa Monica mountains. In middle california (north of San Luis Obispo) traffic thins out and becomes a better scenic ride as you go north.

Beware the "June Gloom" - as locals call the month of June, when the marine layer blankets the coast overnight and persists through the late mornings.
    Pretty much nailed it. Also Hwy 299 is awesome, between McKinleyville and Redding, CA. Not necessarily on the route, but a great side road to enjoy if'n you get bored with the PCH. Make sure to plan half a day for the redwoods, just tooling around, taking photos, good to plan a meal around. Also, don't forget the Spruce Goose at McMinnville - just thinking if you're there, might as well stop, right? They also have an A-12, the predecessor of the SR-71.

Also, if I were going, which I'm not, but if I were, I'd take the 101 all the way north around Olympic National Park.

I've also always wanted to go to Joshua Tree National park near LA, but then again, I'm not going.

Gonna ride out, or trailer the bikes. There is a lot of really boring, and some really cool stuff in between here and the PCH.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.