Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car, 2013 BMW 335is

New car, 2013 BMW 335is

I sold my Jeep SRT8 a couple months ago, decided I wanted a nice car that's fun to drive, practical as a daily driver, and still has good performance figures. Did a lot of research, some test driving, and felt like the 335i fit what I was looking for the best.

I settled on a 335is, mainly because the mileage was low, the advantages over the 335i aren't that substantial really.

320hp N54 twin turbo I6, 6-speed manual (Yes, with a clutch pedal, save the manuals!), and it's only missing a couple options so it's nicely outfitted.

Come Thanksgiving I'll be installing some modifications. Turbo inlets, intercooler, hard charge pipes, blow off valve, fuel pump, tune with e85 capability, and downpipes. Should be good for 450-500whp and 500-550wtq. I'll also be adding LED interior lamps and a couple very minor exterior mods.

Last edited by Aaron; Sun Aug 23rd, 2015 at 08:29 PM.

Re: New car, 2013 BMW 335is

Those are very fun, love the nice exhaust tone it has from the factory
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

No kidding I couldn't believe how good the I6 sounds. I already unplugged the vacuum actuator so now it uses both tail pipes all of the time, made it a little louder and more pronounced and idle and low throttle.

I'm hoping the downpipes don't change the sound, just make it a touch louder. If not I'll do the cheap exhaust mod, which involves cutting open the muffler and making some changes on the inside of it.

I hate it when people post about their car, and act like it is the best car ever and cannot accept anything else. So a few complaints.

For being the "sport" version, the "is" costs a shit load more, and adds very little to the car. Not to mention it is on the E92 platform while the sedan had already moved to the new platform, getting more options. The 320hp isn't really fair. It's 20hp up from the standard 335i, but only for 18 seconds or so while it over boosts. Then it's back to the same 300hp.

Air cooled seats aren't even an option, and the sunroof is small. A 2-3 pane panoramic sunroof would be tits.

The car has full exterior LED lamps, except for the side turn signals and reverse lamps. Why not those too? And why incandescents on the inside?

2nd gear is notchy and difficult to hit smoothly at red line, which means you need to shift slowly, which causes you to lag into 3rd.

My biggest complaint has got to be the freaking 1wd open differential. Way to take the sport out of the is model, because you're afraid it's too close to the M3.

Most of these complaints are easily fixed, and hopefully will be soon. Over Thanksgiving I'll be adding a shorter ratio LSD, LED lamps, red line trans fluid, and of course permanent hp increases.

When I had the 135i, that open diff sucked monkey balls. I now have the e90 with manual.... n55

My grand national still has an open differential but why on earth would they do that to a newer BMW?
    2013 BMW S1000RR
    1973 Honda CB750 / GSXR
    1987 buick grand national
    '06 GSXR 750. Race Track. Everyday Commuter. Long distance tourer. Sold

Seriously drives me crazy. I think the primary reason was to keep it from competing with the M3, because most sport drivers prefer the 35 for the turbo engine over the V8.

Gold Member

but the M3 V8 is so great!

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Just got my first mod! Ambient Thermal Management front mount intercooler. 56% more frontal area, 56% more interior volume, 20% of the pressure loss, and it fits without needing to make room.

I hate meth and water injection, unlike most in the community, so I'll rely only on a good intercooler, which is why I spent so much. But with this and e85, I shouldn't have any problems with knock.

Gold Member

What exhaust you thinking about running?

Oh and are you going to up your boost?

man, how much do cops make? This guy in my hood is one and has the newest truck, newer R6, and lives bachelor and doesn't collect rent from roommates. Makes me feel so broke!

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Gold Member

A used BMW isn't as much as you think.

Nice car-

My wife leased one several years ago and she loved it.

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    What exhaust you thinking about running?

Oh and are you going to up your boost?
    I'm going to leave the exhaust stock. Aftermarket systems don't gain any power, and I like the way this car sounds. So a couple downpipes should be it for the exhaust. And yes, boost will be doubled soon hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    man, how much do cops make? This guy in my hood is one and has the newest truck, newer R6, and lives bachelor and doesn't collect rent from roommates. Makes me feel so broke!
    I do alright, but I work a ton of overtime, and don't have a wife, ex-wife, girlfriend, or kids. Completely bachelor style here.

Don't listen when you inevitably run into a notorious BMW snob like this guy.

"I can't believe you didn't opt for the M5. Ah ha ha ha."

I wish I could afford an M5. As much as I love 2 doors, I'd much rather have an M5. So I'll settle for being faster

Gold Member

Mine got rear ended this morning. That was fun. Plus they took off. Guess they had something better to do.

Top Gear Solutions interior LED HPB kit. I would've liked to stick with V-LED's, but the TGS kit had properly specced pieces for the map and dome lights. I went with the mid range 12 LED dome light. Overall the lights swapped in without any issues, and I'm happy with the kit, no complaints besides the front dome being a royal pain in the a$$ to get out.

Drivers side keyhole delete cover. Still unsure about this one. As you can see in the pic it didn't line up very well, and the bolt didn't thread in very smoothly. I'm going to play with it some more and try to get it to line up better. Paint matches perfectly.

ATM intercooler. Looks good, heavier than my ex girlfriend(!), and expensive. I'm waiting to install the performance mods until December because the aforementioned friend wants to help and do the tuning (Which will be flash only, bought the cables too).

Then I dropped $1200 and some change at VRSF. Downpipes, charge pipe, BOV, and half of my wheel spacers came today. Downpipes look great. Charge pipe wasn't very well masked off, and there's still masking tape on the inside, but that's a pretty minor detail in reality. These parts should be cleaned well prior to install anyway, so they'll be good. Tiago sent me the BOV I ordered, but before and after placing the order I asked him to swap it for a TiAL QR as I want it to recirculate, and he said he would. Of course I got the standard TiAL BOV. I'm sure he'll take care of this, but I may try it out first. I've heard it's quiet, but I want near silent. I'll review these parts further when I go to install them. Still waiting on the inlets and front 12mm spacers, which should ship soon.

Ordered 20mm rear spacers from VRSF. They're wheel spacers, not exactly rocket science, but I've got no complaints. Install was straight forward with no faults, and they look good and fit better than my girlfriend's panties fit me. And her underwear fits me really well. 20mm is the max I'd go for this car, but I love the flush look now.

Still to come is a M Factory LSD with the shortest ratio they offer. I'll suffer some low speed acceleration loss, but highway cruising will be much more pleasant and economical. I hate turning 3,200 rpm on the highway. That should be 2, if not 1800. Also a Stage 2 fuel pump for e85 hippie corn juice, M5 shifter so it lights up, and eventually a turbo upgrade. Also considering an aluminum petrol tank for less weight and more capacity.

Thanks for following! If you don't like it feel free to say so, I won't censor, but I don't give a fvck. My car not yours.

Man, having some fun with that thing lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Sure am! Looking for 500 at the wheels come December.

That's a party lol. Those IS are fun cars and a good platform to get a fun car going without the tag of a M car
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Nice car! Some day I'm sure I'll pick up a BMW, for now ze other 3 germans will have to do!
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Car is doing well, and is now what these forums consider FBO, though it's still missing one mod I consider part of FBO, I'll preview that later. This will serve as the reviews for all of the parts as well. Mad props to V8bait, he'll post his bragging logs here shortly, but my God can he tune a fvcking car.

Random engine teardown pics:

VRSF catless downpipes. They look great, although looks don't matter much to me for these, they looked good, no complaints at all. Included O2 sensor block-off plugs, new lower hardware, and new gaskets. Install was kind of a pain in the a$$, but through no fault of VRSF. Hardest part was getting the downpipes plugged into the turbine discharge while holding them up. Here's a tip, don't install one and then think you can do the other. I tried, and failed, had to put them both up at the same time before starting to bolt them on. Other than that they are plug and play, even for the 'is'. Mine lined up really well, and tightened down just fine. Overall I'm very happy with these, everything you need is included. Even being an 'is' with the golf tee mod it sounds great, and I don't have any rattles. One complaint is the included hardware is a pain to install since it's difficult to get the hardware in with all of the 3 washers per bolt, and difficult to get tight with the limited space. I'd like to see, and would've paid more for, either welded on nuts or threaded bolt holes on the downpipe flanges to ease the install. Very minor complaint, just felt I had to be negative about something haha.

Included hardware, as well as extra parts after the install.