Thread: Labor Day weekend Durango/million dollar highway

Labor Day weekend Durango/million dollar highway

Thinking about taking off Labor Day weekend and doing some riding around Durango and Million Dollar Highway. Anyone know of places with small cabins (shower and toilet within unit) or motels around that way? Will be trailering to there so I need to make sure its ok for my pathfinder and trailer. I don't want nor have gear needed to lug anything around on the bike. Could be headed that way either Friday Sept 4th evening or early Saturday morning, coming back probably Monday Labor Day....possibly Tuesday morning.

Open to any suggestions others may have that have been out that way for motels, small cabins, and including routes/activities. If anyone else want to head that way also, I have no issues with that, except my trailer will be at max capacity for bikes. Can haul more smaller things though.

Re: Labor Day weekend Durango/million dollar highway

There are a couple places with cabins on the outskirts of Pagosa, they tend to be a little pricey IMO.

Cabins at Heartland Ranch
    http://www.hartlandranch.com

Fireside Inn Cabins
    http://www.firesidecabins.com/

Theres a couple more that I can't think of but if you search you will find them.

I just stayed at the Pinewood Inn in Pagosa and for $62 you couldn't beat it. It is a small room with no A/C but it was fine for me. You have several restaurants and such within 2 blocks and the hot springs not much further.

Theres also the Siesta motel in Durango, a little more expensive and pretty close in accommodations to the Pinewood.

As far as riding goes you could make a very nice loop 160 > 149 > 50 >550 > 160.

Mesa Verde is a nice ride with cool sights to check out.

Lots of of options out of that area depending on how much riding you want to do in a day.
    Last edited by Jmetz; Wed Aug 26th, 2015 at 11:17 PM.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a kick ass weekend! Hopefully the traffic isn't too bad - we went that way 3 weekends ago for our anniversary and Million Dollar had a ton of tourist traffic and RVs but was still a lot of fun. Wish I could come! I have a trailer and my pitbull restraint system arrives tomorrow But, Mrs. Clovis and I have plans for Saturday morning already. =/

But on the topic of RV traffic - on Million Dollar Highway there is a plus side...

RVs and full size 5th wheeler's - they're huge, slow, difficult to see around (i.e. pass) that if any more then a few cars gets stuck behind these rolling cock blocks, they become a caravan of up 50 cursing drivers, snaking through the mountain.

Yeah, you're supposed to pull over if you have something like more then 5 cars behind you, and while MANY do pull over, a large number do not.

"Passing zone ahead .5 miles"

So close, yet so far away for those pour, pour souls.

On a sport bike? Let's sport GO! These things are big and slow, which makes them easy to pass within a few wide sweepers or a single straight.

Now think about that for a second. That RV you just passed, was holding back traffic for the last few few miles. And now that you're past it, the next few miles are all yours to enjoy
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

The "loop" as the locals call it, is a great ride. But be aware that Labor Day weekend is the Four Corners Motorcycle Rally (aka Harley fest) in Ignacio, so there might be more than the usual share of cruisers to have to go around.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Thanks for the heads up regarding traffic and clutter. I may head off to somewhere else haha.

Looks like saturday they're having a poker run on the Million Dollar Hwy. The rest of the time they're watching midget wrestling and stripper pole dancing and beering it up. http://fourcornersmotorcyclerally.co...dar-of-events/
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Hwy 92 is always quiet. You could save that for saturday. Don't forget that there is road construction on 550 right now just outside of Ouray. Another obstacle. I was supposed to go wheeling that weekend with some of my buddy out of town friends. If that does"t happen I'd be game for riding if you want someone tagging along.

Yeah sorry for the waste of time..... im going to think of something else. Wish we were just a few hours closer to a beach/mountains like in Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Yeah sorry for the waste of time..... im going to think of something else. Wish we were just a few hours closer to a beach/mountains like in Cali.
    Tell me 'bout it. I miss riding SoCal.

If you do hit the western slope, you could stay in Durango or better yet, Dolores or Telluride, and ride laps up and down CO 141 to Gateway all weekend; bring extra tires.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots