Thread: Oil and gas prices are down down down, time to start considering a new job

Oil and gas prices are down down down, time to start considering a new job

I've been amazed at how long I've managed to stay employed in the field. Companies have shrank by 80% but I've managed to stay steadily busy. Last week, the rig I was following was dropped. I can fill in and rotate in/out with people in the company, but with having already taken a pay cut and all that it's getting to the point where it's not worth it and I need some sort of financial security. I have 5 years of experience in the field, I'm not desperate to stay at it for the experience. As an adult, I have real responsibilities like mortgage, etc so I want to stay a step ahead.

Not sure how much it matters, but I live in Westminster and have a B.A. degree in Geology. Also I have a class A CDL (air brake restriction), but the only good it's for is a big laugh when the hiring managers review my MVR..

Not too picky on a job, something that pays decent and doesn't embarass my gf/fiancee. A mix of weekday and weekend work would be nice. I've currently applied to jewelry stores (so I can pretend I'm using my degree though I couldn't care less), and pizza delivery is a good fall back plan but my gf hates the idea.

If you have any ideas on what would be a good job, let me know.
    Last edited by GMR; Sat Sep 12th, 2015 at 05:21 AM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Oil and gas prices are down down down, time to start considering a new job

Who are you working for now? Damn commodity prices are scaring me as well.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

No offense to your gf but a job is job. If you've got to make ends meet who cares what status your job reflects. I know garbage men that made serious bank (think 6 figures). Dont sweat the small stuff. That said if you've got a decent car you can drive for uber or lyft.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I'm working for a gas monitoring/surface logging company right now but we currently only have one rig in Colorado and 3 people rotating in and out on it. I could make more money at other jobs. We're supposed to be picking up more rigs in November but I've heard that one before... after this well I'm going on a 10 day vacation, and when I get back from that vacation it will really be time for me to get serious on staying on the money making path. Winter is coming up, I'd rather be buying another bike than having to sell one (or both) of mine...

I agree a job is a job. Pizza delivery sounds appealing (I have a co-worker who does it) because the schedule is flexible and I could technically stay an employee of this company and keep benefits and be able to fill in for people when needed and if things ever pick up then I'll be right there.

Garbage man you say? I've heard they make good money, I don't believe 6 figures though but I'll have to investigate. I love some solid labor jobs.

I spoke to Damir at the BBQ and he made it sound like being an auto tech is the doldrums, but with the amount of time I spend in the garage working on my bikes and Acura really makes me want to advance my knowledge. Any other experiences with such?
    Last edited by GMR; Sat Sep 12th, 2015 at 08:46 AM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    Garbage man you say? I've heard they make good money, I don't believe 6 figures though but I'll have to investigate. I love some solid labor jobs.
    I cashed their checks.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.