Thread: Oil and gas prices are down down down, time to start considering a new job

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oil and gas prices are down down down, time to start considering a new job

I've been amazed at how long I've managed to stay employed in the field. Companies have shrank by 80% but I've managed to stay steadily busy. Last week, the rig I was following was dropped. I can fill in and rotate in/out with people in the company, but with having already taken a pay cut and all that it's getting to the point where it's not worth it and I need some sort of financial security. I have 5 years of experience in the field, I'm not desperate to stay at it for the experience. As an adult, I have real responsibilities like mortgage, etc so I want to stay a step ahead.

Not sure how much it matters, but I live in Westminster and have a B.A. degree in Geology. Also I have a class A CDL (air brake restriction), but the only good it's for is a big laugh when the hiring managers review my MVR..

Not too picky on a job, something that pays decent and doesn't embarass my gf/fiancee. A mix of weekday and weekend work would be nice. I've currently applied to jewelry stores (so I can pretend I'm using my degree though I couldn't care less), and pizza delivery is a good fall back plan but my gf hates the idea.

If you have any ideas on what would be a good job, let me know.
    Last edited by GMR; Sat Sep 12th, 2015 at 05:21 AM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)