Thread: Hit a deer this morning

Hit a deer this morning

I hit a deer this morning. My go-to summer ride is a sunrise trip from my house in Fort Collins up the Big Thompson Canyon (Hwy 34) to Estes Park, sometimes breakfast or coffee, & then back. Often there are animals out at that time of day, and this time of year is especially sketchy because of mating season & the particularly bad half-light/half-dark sunshine in the canyons on the way back. As I came down just after 8:00 AM, I was going about 40-45 and following a car because the light was so bad it was easier to see him than the road. As I came out of a right hander, I saw a small deer--head about my mirror height--sprinting like crazy across the road from the left. Didn't see him until he was almost into me. He was going at a 45 degree angle and I assume making a really poorly calculated attempt to try to get in front of me. It's crazy how instantly you recognize this is bad news & you have to avoid a collision if at all possible. I tried to lean more to the right, hit the gas, and braced for impact. I'm guessing I didn't lean any more at all but I did pick up a crucial foot or two so that he didn't get fully in front of my bike. I think his head/neck hit the front just below my left mirror & my hand hit neck and caused a massive bike convulsion & short tank slapper, maybe just back & forth once. The collision was violent & slowed me down dramatically, but I didn't come close to going over the bars, or at least I don't think so. After impact I didn't hit the brakes or anything; just kept going straight & slowed to about 30 and started trying to figure out if the bike was still ok. My hazard lights came on & I assumed that meant something went bad & the bike would stop running in just a few seconds. But it kept running & everything felt fine: the engine sounded the same, the handling felt fine, my bars didn't seem bent. It took me a minute to realize somehow the hazard switch had been depressed, so I just switched them back off.

I didn't look check my mirrors until what seemed like 5 seconds later, so by then I'm hundreds of feet down the road & didn't see anything. Looking back, I probably should have stopped & figured out if the bike was safe to ride & if I left a dead or wounded animal in the middle of the road, but I didn't. I just kept riding. Sent an email to the Division of Wildlife later telling them what happened.

When I got home all I saw was my left & front fairings broken in a few places with a little bit of hairy deer remnants on it. My left hand got very mildly scraped (I was wearing my full textile gear & gloves).

It's a good day to still be alive. Enjoy your fall rides & be safe out there!
    Last edited by lth; Tue Sep 29th, 2015 at 05:58 PM.

Re: Hit a deer this morning

Crazy! Glad you are ok. You should've definitely stopped to look your bike over. You could've screwed yourself later. I've taken some impacts (nothing like a charging deer) and the first thing I do is check the bike over to make sure I can safely continue.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Agreed with Jmetz. Holy crap glad you're alright. I also definitely would have stopped and checked the bike and the deer (and to change into my backup underwear). That said, deer are remarkably tough and you probably threw him for a loop but didn't kill him.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Yowza. Happy to hear that things didn't turn out any worse!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Thanks guys. Very happy that it turned out basically as good as it could have...at least for me; not so sure about the deer. If he's not dead he at least has a massive headache.

For sure I was stupid not to stop & check the bike out immediately. Before I ride again, I'll pull all the plastic & look for any visible damage, particulary on the forks or frame. Anything else you recommend?

that's a story for the books! Glad your OK!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Are there any gory photos of the carnage?

The deer is probably fine. They're damned tough critters. Glad you came out of this mostly ok as well!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Wow, glad you're ok and you didn't need a "bambulance" after hitting the deer.... I've had a couple sketchy moments over the years, but thank God haven't hit one. Came REAL close, but I was almost stopped when the deer tried to jump over my head.

NSFW audio (only)!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBa0blUoE8U
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Wed Sep 30th, 2015 at 12:52 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Very glad you're ok. Definitely the best outcome for the situation.

When I hit a deer a couple of years back...it did not work out as well. Totaled Speed Triple, even more totaled buck, and a knee scraped down to the patella because I had all of my gear on except for riding pants (on had jeans on going to work). So yeah...you got away very fortunate. =)
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle