Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elliot (Ragin' Cajun) purposely run off the road in Golden Gate canyon Mon 10/12/2015

Re: Elliot (Ragin' Cajun) purposely run off the road in Golden Gate canyon Mon 10/12/

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    I wonder if the local news would pick up this story after the same thing happening in Texas? Could help to find the guy, or at least make him feel like shit enough to not do it again.
    That right there is a good idea.

Wear your CSC shirt if they interview you Elliot!
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Re: Elliot (Ragin' Cajun) purposely run off the road in Golden Gate canyon Mon 10/12/

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Pretty sure Elliot could ID this same vehicle if he were to see it again. I'd go looking for it in the local neighborhoods asap if this happen to me. If he can get help from Jeffco in the form of BMW sedans registered in the canyon, it won't be that hard to find. Most folks living up GG drive SUVs and trucks, not black BMW sedans. Police won't bother with his case without solid proof. His only hope is to find the truck driver to collaborate his story and sue the BMW driver in Civil court for medical + pain and suffering. Two days at Holy Tony's with his injuries is going to be very expensive.
    Somebody's just gotta sit at the bottom of the canyon and watch for the cars coming down, the same way cops can sting sport bikes. We know it happened around 6:30, so if somebody's at the bottom of the canyon by that time, grab the plates of every black BMW 3-series (and look for any damage) and start investigating... of course, the only option is for the guy to confess, unless there is damage to the car. The damage would be to the driver side rear quarter panel...

Now let me state the obvious. Who has time for that? And there lies the rub...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    That's actually the same take-away I had. As riders I think it's imperative that we start focusing on colliding with vehicles that we share the road with, who are acting aggressively, rather than doing what you can to avoid the incident. Physical evidence is crucial for there to be any hope of punitive action.
    Working in insurance I can tell you that as far as Colorado law is concerned, you do not have to have physical contact with the other vehicle to be able to collect for an uninsured motorist claim. If someone swerves at you but they do not hit you there does not have to be physical contact evidence to collect on the claim. So if he has uninsured motorist coverage it will extend for his injuries and pain/suffering. ALSO, if he has that coverage on his automobile, it will also extend as excess coverage on top of whatever uninsured motorist coverage he has on the motorcycle. That's Colorado law.

As an example, if you have Uninsured Motorist coverage for $50,000 on your motorcycle, that would be used first for your medical bills. If you have say $250,000 Uninsured Motorist coverage on your automobile. It will extend (float) on top of the $50,000 you already have for a maximum total of $300,000 for your medical bills and pain/suffering.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

"Holy Tony's"
    Bwahahaha!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    Working in insurance I can tell you that as far as Colorado law is concerned, you do not have to have physical contact with the other vehicle to be able to collect for an uninsured motorist claim. If someone swerves at you but they do not hit you there does not have to be physical contact evidence to collect on the claim. So if he has uninsured motorist coverage it will extend for his injuries and pain/suffering. ALSO, if he has that coverage on his automobile, it will also extend as excess coverage on top of whatever uninsured motorist coverage he has on the motorcycle. That's Colorado law.

As an example, if you have Uninsured Motorist coverage for $50,000 on your motorcycle, that would be used first for your medical bills. If you have say $250,000 Uninsured Motorist coverage on your automobile. It will extend (float) on top of the $50,000 you already have for a maximum total of $300,000 for your medical bills and pain/suffering.
    Awesome info, I just sent it to him, thanks much! Hopefully he HAD Uninsured motorist coverage.....
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    Now let me state the obvious. Who has time for that? And there lies the rub...
    Eliot can't work now, and I think his roomie has time.....

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Awesome info, I just sent it to him, thanks much! Hopefully he HAD Uninsured motorist coverage.....
    Good stuff! Uninsured motorist on motorcycles is a very expensive coverage. Since chances are if you go down you will be badly hurt and the state minimum liability limits in Colorado are only $25000. So chances are whoever hits you would not have enough coverages for severe injuries caused while on a bike. But to all who are reading this, carry good underinsured coverage on your automobile because it will carry over to your motorcycle if you are hit. And the coverage is much much cheaper on a car since you are less likely to be injured badly while in a car rather than while on your bike. Hopefully the information you pass along to him will be able to help him somewhat depending on how much coverage he has.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Good stuff! Uninsured motorist on motorcycles is a very expensive coverage. Since chances are if you go down you will be badly hurt and the state minimum liability limits in Colorado are only $25000. So chances are whoever hits you would not have enough coverages for severe injuries caused while on a bike. But to all who are reading this, carry good underinsured coverage on your automobile because it will carry over to your motorcycle if you are hit. And the coverage is much much cheaper on a car since you are less likely to be injured badly while in a car rather than while on your bike. Hopefully the information you pass along to him will be able to help him somewhat depending on how much coverage he has.
    Great info! Is this still the case if the motorcycle policy is with a different company than the auto insurance policy?
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    Great info! Is this still the case if the motorcycle policy is with a different company than the auto insurance policy?
    I believe that is still the case even if you are with a different insurance carrier but not 100% certain, it is actually a Colorado statute that the UI/UM through your auto will extend to your motorcycle but as excess over whatever coverages you have with your motorcycle policy. I have handled cases for excess BIUI coverage when the initial liability policy has run out for a progressive motorcycle policy and we had the auto policy with nationwide so I am assuming that it would be the same for other carriers. You'd have to check the wording in the policy or ask your agent. But this is a common thing here in Colorado as it was put into law a while ago that underinsured motorist coverage would extend to a motorcycle policy.

Basically anything you have on your motorcycle policy is primary and then when that runs out your automobile will extend as excess and float on top of the motorcycle policy limits. I believe it only applies to uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages but may also apply to your medical payments coverage if you have that. In Colorado it is a requirement that medical payments be offered on an out policy and at a state minimum of $5000 and the only way not to have it is to sign a waiver that you do not want it. I am not sure if the auto medical payments also extends to the bike but it might and checking with the agent would be a good idea.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of garbled information, but some carriers are different than others but talking with the agent to confirm what you have on your bike vs you car and what will extend is a good conversation to have. As mentioned earlier, Underinsured coverage on a motorcycle is SUPER expensive as you are likely to be badly hurt on a motorcycle. But Underinsured coverage on a car is not as expensive since you are likely to be as hurt inside of a car. But since the coverages extend over to your motorcycle, it is BEST to get as high of UI/UM coverage as you can get on your automobile. medical Payments and Underinsured coverage on a motorcycle are the most expensive coverages to get since it is likely if you go down you will get hurt. Some companies are aware of this and all together do not even offer Medical Payments on their policies for motorcycles since there is a high probability of payout in an accident. In California where it is super high to have a crash on a motorcycle, companies do not even offer that type of coverage anymore since its basically a given that it will come into play in a crash and crashes in CA are so common.

I believe that is still the case even if you are with a different insurance carrier but not 100% certain, it is actually a Colorado statute that the UI/UM through your auto will extend to your motorcycle but as excess over whatever coverages you have with your motorcycle policy. I have handled cases for excess BIUI coverage when the initial liability policy has run out for a progressive motorcycle policy and we had the auto policy with nationwide so I am assuming that it would be the same for other carriers. You'd have to check the wording in the policy or ask your agent. But this is a common thing here in Colorado as it was put into law a while ago that underinsured motorist coverage would extend to a motorcycle policy.

Basically anything you have on your motorcycle policy is primary and then when that runs out your automobile will extend as excess and float on top of the motorcycle policy limits. I believe it only applies to uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages but may also apply to your medical payments coverage if you have that. In Colorado it is a requirement that medical payments be offered on an out policy and at a state minimum of $5000 and the only way not to have it is to sign a waiver that you do not want it. I am not sure if the auto medical payments also extends to the bike but it might and checking with the agent would be a good idea.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of garbled information, but some carriers are different than others but talking with the agent to confirm what you have on your bike vs you car and what will extend is a good conversation to have. As mentioned earlier, Underinsured coverage on a motorcycle is SUPER expensive as you are likely to be badly hurt on a motorcycle. But Underinsured coverage on a car is not as expensive since you are likely to be as hurt inside of a car. But since the coverages extend over to your motorcycle, it is BEST to get as high of UI/UM coverage as you can get on your automobile. medical Payments and Underinsured coverage on a motorcycle are the most expensive coverages to get since it is likely if you go down you will get hurt. Some companies are aware of this and all together do not even offer Medical Payments on their policies for motorcycles since there is a high probability of payout in an accident. In California where it is super high to have a crash on a motorcycle, companies do not even offer that type of coverage anymore since its basically a given that it will come into play in a crash and crashes in CA are so common.
    EXCELLENT info, thanks! I'll forward this as well.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Uninsured and Under-Insured coverage extends to bicycle riders and pedestrians as well.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Uninsured and Under-Insured coverage extends to bicycle riders and pedestrians as well.
    Damn! And here I was going to splatter a jaywalker tonight for an ATGATT(!!!) violation and for being a jaywalking piece of shit..... LOL

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian