Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any truck people here? I'm considering a pick up.

Re: Any truck people here? I'm considering a pick up.

I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the choices you're looking at. Drive 'em all and get the one you like... seems pretty simple to me.

One a related note. I did the same thing a few years back and bought a 12 F150 ecoboost. Works fine for everything I need. I'll second that the 5.5 foot bed kind of sucks, but so does driving it anywhere in a major city. When I lived in DC, I almost got rid of it for a subaru because parking garages in DC and that truck SUCKED. After test driving the subaru, I got back into my truck and instantly knew where the extra money went. So much nicer than that sub. Anyways, had it for 3 years, with no major issues. With as much as I paid for it, I'll drive it til the wheels fall off... hopefully many many moons from now.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I had a 2012 Toyota Crewmax 5.7 new, did some light towing and it was a great vehicle except for the one or two exceptionally cold mornings during winter. Each year it happened once during winter where I would start her up and it went into limp mode. First time, Toyota got it towed and said it was some cold weather type flash they had to do. The next year it happened again, but they said it was some other issue (forgot exact details) and they did another flash. I didn't wait for it to be out of warranty and got rid of it.

Also while towing, got 11mpg, if I remember correctly it has about a 25 gallon tank but the low fuel warning came on at 19 gallons used.

Also if you want to do a lift or levelling kit, 2011 and later years had some issues with the steering rack pump. Some failures right there at the dealer after a warranty replacement. I don't follow the Toyota forums any longer so not sure how the newer gen is doing.
    Last edited by Slo; Wed Oct 21st, 2015 at 06:49 PM.

So I stopped by Toyota on Friday and spent some time going over the Tacoma. Pretty sure I have it narrowed down to the Tacoma. Took a short test ride, pretty quite for a truck.

I'm thinking TRD Sport Longbed in blue.

It would nice to have the option to take the bike with or without my trailer. Finding the longbed is the tricky part. LHM had one on Friday, but in black.

I could potentially hault 4 bikes and crew in a Double Cab Longbed + my 2 bike trailer. Good for occasional extended weekend trips
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Update! 12-19-15.

I pulled the trigger and put a deposit on a new 2016 Tacoma this morning! Built to order - should be here in 45-60 days!!

TRD Off-Road, Double Cab, Shortbed, A/T, Dark Metallic Grey and loooooaded

Options: Premium Tech & Audio w/ JBL package, Towing, Predator Tube Steps, Bed Extender and some other small stuff like rubberized floor + bed mat.
    (After hearing the JBL upgrade in a Limited model I decided oh yes, definately worth an extra $700 for upgraded speakers and a sub.

I negotiated with several dealerships and ended up getting the truck at dealer invoice price + TTL/Fee

This isn't my particular truck but this is what it will look like when delivered!

I'm really digging the looks of this guy's TRD - I wonder how much those wheels are...

Senior Member Moderator

Congrats, man, that looks like a sweet truck!

Very nice man! Kinda drooling over here!
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I'm totally jealous!!! Beautiful truck and great choice
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I had a 2012 Toyota Crewmax 5.7 new, did some light towing and it was a great vehicle except for the one or two exceptionally cold mornings during winter. Each year it happened once during winter where I would start her up and it went into limp mode. First time, Toyota got it towed and said it was some cold weather type flash they had to do. The next year it happened again, but they said it was some other issue (forgot exact details) and they did another flash. I didn't wait for it to be out of warranty and got rid of it.

Also while towing, got 11mpg, if I remember correctly it has about a 25 gallon tank but the low fuel warning came on at 19 gallons used.

Also if you want to do a lift or levelling kit, 2011 and later years had some issues with the steering rack pump. Some failures right there at the dealer after a warranty replacement. I don't follow the Toyota forums any longer so not sure how the newer gen is doing.

I have the 13. last of that generation. truck has no faults. only thing I don't like about is the remote start. the engine cuts off once you unlock door to get in. I would like to figure out how to disengage that feature.

nice truck Clovis.

That will be a great truck!

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    I have the 13. last of that generation. truck has no faults. only thing I don't like about is the remote start. the engine cuts off once you unlock door to get in. I would like to figure out how to disengage that feature.

nice truck Clovis.
    I happened to come across this link that may help or at least steer you in the right direction:
    http://www.fordescape.org/forum/engi...open-door.html

Video on fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQHb0mU0rvI
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I happened to come across this link that may help or at least steer you in the right direction:
    http://www.fordescape.org/forum/engi...open-door.html

Video on fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQHb0mU0rvI

Thanks Nate

I will chk out the utube vid at home

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    Thanks Nate

I will chk out the utube vid at home
    Hope it works, but seems very hopeful as many people complain about this "safety" feature Ford claims cannot be fixed, but they did it with this video.

Good luck man....having a auto start that turns off would be frustrating. Just bought one for my wife for Xmas and best gift ever; every cold day she loves the gift and I get props
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Thanks for making me reassured in my choice of going with the Toyota over the Ford

About a month to go! Little less!