Thread: Bike storage for winter?

Bike storage for winter?

How do you guys store your race bikes over the winter? Do you guys winterize them or just put it up on the stands and let it be, or something else?
    Let's Ride!!

Re: Bike storage for winter?

I replace water with Antifreeze, if any fule left in the tank add some Stabil, and put it on stands then cover it up.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

I replace water with Antifreeze
    Just curious, Why? Why wouldn't you just drain it?
    Green '99 ZX-6R
    "Yeah, crazy girls are the best in bed. They're also the most likely to bite off your weiner."

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover";p="248535

rust.
    Cleveland

100% drain the water out and replace with antifreeze. You don't want to start your season out like I did last year. Went to change the oil for my first race and was changing out the water too. Well as I had the oil drain plug out letting the oil drip out I put new water in the radiator and watched water just puke out of the oil drain Luckly the GSXR has 5 tabs in the head that are made to pop out if water freezes in the case to keep it from cracking. Had to JB weld them back in and flush out the motor multiple times with gas to get all that milky oil out of her. No fun, this was in an insulated garage too.

This year I have antifreeze in there, rag stuff in exhaust (mice like to nest in small areas like that), Stabil in the tank, battery is out (will plug into battery tender a few times as the winter progresses), up on stands, and covered.

I miss racing..... so so so so so much. Might as well drink

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland";p="248561

rust.
    well, since bike engines and radiators are all made out of aluminum rust isn't really a concern....the main reason that draining isn't sufficient is that it's impossible (without some significant disassembly) to get 100% of the water out of all the nooks and crannies of the water jackets and there will be enough left over to possibly do some damage if there is a hard freeze. the best thing is to add antifreeze if your garage gets cold enough. My garage is attacehd to the house and well insulated, even when it's below 0 outside I've never seen it get below 45 or so in there so I leave mine alone.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar
    Mine just has the water/water-wetter in it, but I also have an attached garage. It isn't insulated great, but I ran a duct from the furnace into there which supplies a continuous flow of ~70 degree air.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I still ride it. Just to cold some times to leave water in it.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

just drain it, adding antifreeze won't hurt but is not needed. in spring flush it out and don't forget ti change oil!!! stabil is a must but don't forget to run the bike after you ad it, there will still be fule to break down in the lines/injectors/or carbs.

I gotta say, running that duct to my garage worked wonders! At 11 degrees outside temp (and in a garage with poor insulation and outside air leaks on two doors) it never dropped below 38 degrees in there. Not bad for $20 in parts fromo Home Depot and an hour of installation. If I bothered to insulate it and seal the space, I dare say it might actually be comfortable in there!

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    I have Distilled and Water Wetter in currently, and I'm probably just going to drain out a bit, and top off with anti-freeze.

The oil got changed w/in the last 500 miles, so I'm okay with that.

I'll consider Stabil, but I'm guessing I'll be starting the bike atleast once a week anyway, just for the sake of doing it.

The bike is garaged, but not heated, so I'm sure it gets pretty chilly overnight.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Barn, I'd drain half the capacity of your system and make 50% antifreeze, 50% water+water wetter. You're going to have to flush it to get the antifreeze out later (if you decide to remove the antifreeze at all) and the extra freeze protection might save you from cracked parts later.

than sincere ignorance

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear. I was planning on draining out a good amount.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Thanks guys. My bike is in the garage which stays pretty warm, but just to stay safe I might add some antifreeze and some Stabil then just cover it up.
    Let's Ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="249558
    I gotta say, running that duct to my garage worked wonders! At 11 degrees outside temp (and in a garage with poor insulation and outside air leaks on two doors) it never dropped below 38 degrees in there. Not bad for $20 in parts fromo Home Depot and an hour of installation. If I bothered to insulate it and seal the space, I dare say it might actually be comfortable in there!

I actually checked into this and in some citys, garages are a fire wall between it and the house and if U cut it, then decide to sell your house the inspector will fail it and make you replace the firewall....Unless the buyer is willing to take it anyway..... Try mentioning "fire" to a potential new buyer and watch them run away from your house like the plague....

If U want U can always just install a unit heater in there..... I went to Home depot and bought a heater that attaches to any old propane bottle. Crack the bottom of the garage venting and in 15 mins U will be working in shorts and a tank. Cost was 10.00

Or U can buy Antifreeze for less than 5 and take 3-5 minutes to swap it out in the bike and be doen with the whole mess.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors: