Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble for FAASST & PMP

Re: Trouble for FAASST & PMP

HPR is owned/operated by CAMA (of which the MRA is a member). Just an FYI: http://highplainsraceway.com/track-info/hpr-history/
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

I would be interested to see the FAASST budget though. The city of Pueblo didn't hire Judy to run PMP, they leased it to FAASST. If Pueblo hired Judy/FAASST to operate the track then they would be responsible for providing the budget necessary to run it (if needed), but they leased it to an entity (FAASST) for them to run it. FAASST as a business has a track lease, personnel, equipment, upkeep, etc as costs, but they have track rentals, lapping day fees, etc as revenue. If all of the revenue was going to Pueblo instead then they would need to provide a budget for operation of the track.

Comparing to HPR, CAMA has debt payment (maybe, not sure?), personnel, equipment, upkeep, etc as costs, and their revenue comes from track rentals (to the MRA, SCCA, Porsche club, etc), lapping day fees, etc.
    Blair

Chocolate Thunder

The budget I found through google. When I say Judy, I am referring to Faasst.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    Exactly, her name is Judy Faass. She is the president of FAASST Motorsports.

The Pueblo budget? I can find it, but it is pretty irrelevant to the discussion.
    Blair

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    Comparing to HPR, CAMA has debt payment (maybe, not sure?), personnel, equipment, upkeep, etc as costs, and their revenue comes from track rentals (to the MRA, SCCA, Porsche club, etc), lapping day fees, etc.
    This is a correct statement.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Chocolate Thunder

Nevermind anything I said, I am not speaking ill of Judy FAASST, I am saying is her hands are tied for what everyone complains about. Ie ambulance, repairs to corner 10, corner workers etc. If the city who provides her with a budget doesnt increase it, then it is a pointless battle for whom ever takes over contract on 1 January 2016.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Senior Member Moderator

Nevermind anything I said, I am not speaking ill of Judy FAASST, I am saying is her hands are tied for what everyone complains about. Ie ambulance, repairs to corner 10, corner workers etc. If the city who provides her with a budget doesnt increase it, then it is a pointless battle for whom ever takes over contract on 1 January 2016.
    Don't be so hasty. Your information and contributions to this discussion are valuable. Perhaps, they need some more clarification. Here's what I have gathered from what was said:

1. FAASST leases the land from the City of Pueblo at $35k per year. In itself this is not unusual. Miller Motorsports Park is owned by Tooele County, and was previously leased out to LHM group before they abandoned it.
    2. After earning more than $170k in a fiscal year, FAASST pays 70% of any additional revenue in taxes to the city.
    3. The city gives her a budget to hire employees and maintain the facility. Employees are hired through the city. This does seem strange to me. I could use some clarification on this point. Since FAASST is in the most direct position to understand the needs of the facility, she should not be under any such bureaucracy by the city to do her job. It also doesn't make sense that they should give her company (FAASST) a budget from which she hires her own employees. That should be at her discretion as a private business, not the city's.
    4. FAASST cannot make changes to the facility without first submitting a change request to the city. Not unusual either, since the city owns the land.

Blair, and myself for that matter, wants to know FAASST's budget. How much money are they making per year, and how is it being allocated and spent? If the City of Pueblo does have their hands in Judy's business to the extent you describe, it's understandable that she would have less power. I have some doubts that the city is that heavily involved in the affairs of a private business. If it is, then I'm surprised that any company would choose to do business with the city. In fact, there would have to be some huge incentive to keep me involved with them, but that's just my opinion. Since I don't know the particulars of how her business is run, I can't make an informed opinion about it. More information is needed.

I don't think anybody is trying to vilify Judy or FAASST Motorsports. I think some of us simply want to know more about what's going on from her end.

It would be kinda awesome if CAMA could pull off a 30 year lease on it. Could probably do improvement then, and I remember someone saying an MRA Saturday/Sunday cost like $20k for track rental, but I could be wrong. $35k per year lease sounds like a steal, though I bet insurance is damn expensive.
    Last edited by WolFeYeZ; Wed Nov 11th, 2015 at 08:58 AM.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    It would be kinda awesome if CAMA could pull off a 30 year lease on it. Could probably do improvement then, and I remember someone saying an MRA Saturday/Sunday cost like $20k for track rental, but I could be wrong. $35k per year lease sounds like a steal, though I bet insurance is damn expensive.
    CAMA's purpose is to own and manage High Plains Raceway. The MRA currently pays $4000 per day for track rental at PMP. And yes, you can bet their insurance is very high, probably as much or more than the $35k they are paying the city.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Judy just highlighted her management skills. After several of us paying for our track day this Saturday, she decided today, 2 days before the track day, to change it to cars only. Of course she didn't bother telling those of us that prepaid, and didn't automatically refund our payments. I'm just lucky Ryan noticed she changed the website. Fucking tired of this place.

Sunday is open lapping for bikes at high plains. Not enough sign ups yet but the weather may help participation.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I don't think her hands are tied as much as you are thinking. There are two ways the motorsports park could operate.

1. The city of Pueblo runs it. The city would hire a track manager who is responsible for the operations, pay them a salary, the city would pay for all the expenses and take in all the revenue.

2. The city of Pueblo leases it for someone else / a company to operate. The operation company is responsible for operating the track and expenses associated with it, and that company takes in the revenue.

My understanding is the current Pueblo contract is #2. The city of Pueblo leased the track to FAASST who is then responsible for the operation of the track. There are obviously limits (which would be specified in the contract) because Pueblo doesn't want to lease it out and have the operator decide to tear out the track and build something else. I could see the city having some stipulation around hiring to make sure that if possible local residents are hired.

The one piece I think is important is the road course users need to be aware of what's going on. If the management does change we need to make sure that road race users are represented.
    Blair

The homepage now states that someone new will be managing the complex. http://pueblomotorsportspark.net/index.html
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Based on my limited interactions with Henry Lanier(the vocal opposition to Faasst and vying for operation of PMP) at the recent Pueblo City Council meetings regarding PMP, we can probably write off track days at PMP in the future. There was zero interest by him in discussing anything regarding road course lapping. Primarily focused on drag racing.

Faasst wasn't perfect, but it was a classic case of "the devil you know is sometimes better..."

Chocolate Thunder

The homepage says that PMP is up for bid, not new management.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okrapp View Post
    The homepage now states that someone new will be managing the complex. http://pueblomotorsportspark.net/index.html

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by RPMWFO View Post
    Based on my limited interactions with Henry Lanier(the vocal opposition to Faasst and vying for operation of PMP) at the recent Pueblo City Council meetings regarding PMP, we can probably write off track days at PMP in the future. There was zero interest by him in discussing anything regarding road course lapping. Primarily focused on drag racing.

Faasst wasn't perfect, but it was a classic case of "the devil you know is sometimes better..."
    Well that just flat sucks. Was hoping for more track days there this coming season. I've followed this story loosely when it all started a few months back. This doesn't look good for the road course people.

Well looks like I'll be converting my GSXR back into street form and using it to commute to work this coming season.

The homepage says that PMP is up for bid, not new management.
    "The Faasst Motorsports operations contract has not been renewed with the City of Pueblo, in spite of our attempts and requests to do so............

The Pueblo City Council questioned our ability to make the improvements and said "no" to a long term lease. They then decided to put the park back out on RFP. Our investors and partners, therefore, have removed themselves from the park improvement project. It will not happen.
    Faasst Motorsports has been invited to bid on the future track operations. We are choosing not to.

If you have dates reserved at PMP for 2016, there are no contracts in place and no deposits being held. You are free to work with the new track operator once the City chooses one, or you may move your 2016 dates to another racing facility. Keep in mind, the RFP will be public Jan 1, bids are due Jan 29. The operator selection process will begin Feb 1 and the selection / contract negotiation process can take weeks or months.
    We wish the City of Pueblo the best with the operations of Pueblo Motorsports Park.

- Faasst Motorsports"

The way I read it is that not only PMP is up for bid, but FAAST won't be the new management running the place. Either way looks back, which really sucks as I loved riding at PMP......
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

And any improvements to the facility will take a much longer time..... If ever.

Where were they planning to get that 1.5 million dollars to do all the improvements from?

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Where were they planning to get that 1.5 million dollars to do all the improvements from?
    Investors
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

The city of Pueblo has decided to open up the RFP (request for proposal) process for an operator of the track. This is the same process that selected FAASST to operate the track a few years ago. According to the FAASST website they will not be submitting a proposal.

There has been discussion of all this on a facebook page (PMP.SaveTheTrack), and they say that rumors of drag racing only are untrue. While I believe a lot of the issues raised were around drag racing, they claim to be interested in improving it for all racers. I believe some of the MRA board has spoken with the city, so they are aware of the road course users as well.

I'm curious about all these improvements listed on the FAASST page. I've heard nothing about it before this, and while I understand why any investors / partners that were lined up would be backing out, I guess I'm suspicious based on the last few years.

At the end of the day, I hope the park improves and continues to be available for all racers. As road course users I think the best thing currently is to make sure that we are aware of what's going on, and anyone taking over is aware of road racers.
    Blair

Wasn't FAASST the only bidder for past RFP's? Who's going to run the track? Everyone is assuming somebody will just show up and magically make it better but I can't imagine pitching a racetrack operations business in Pueblo, CO to investors would be terribly easy, especially without any past performance.

As I understand it, the city of Pueblo kind of hates PMP anyways so I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine them closing it down if no suitable party responds to the RFP.

Chocolate Thunder

It is pointless now, hardly anyone else spoke or wrote letters to City Council except for PMP. SAVE THE TRACK who as it seemed Mr. LANIER had a personal vendetta to oust Judy. His clan went to every meeting and as he stated one day to Pat and I we have 20 something bidders wanting to take over. NOW, according to their site they MAY have 1. I know I am negative on this, but I know Pat and I tried to help with going to meetings, writing letters but feel that such a valuable place had no priorities to anyone else. It wasnt perfect, but the price was good, the traffic on track was great and at least they did saturday or sunday open lapping. Wonder if Nick will want to manage it.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Blair