Thread: Car insurance/title ppl?

Car insurance/title ppl?

So my gf drove my truck into a car in the parking lot at her work, left a note and the persons car is in her program so you'd think both want whats best. Just damaged bumper, no frama damage. I estimate 1-1500 damage and told gf our deductible is 1k and she might as well pay out of pocket especially cause literally our whole life is bundled under this policy and if we get booted it will f our life over so hard (saving 60/mo on homeowners alone).

the girl initially agreed and said dealing with insurance is a nightmare and shed rather us just pay the bill for the repaid but then they started being weird and are insisting on filing a claim on our insurance.

can anyone clarify any reasoning behind this? Plus, from what ive seen on cl ads for cars, i frequently see cars with rebuilt/salvage titles going for cheap alwYs cause they "got backed into a parking lit but it was profesionally repaired and all good"

from what i understand, if you file a claim it gets a ding on the title as opposed to paying outta pocket where it doesnt.

whats best for everyone? This is my gf's second accident in a year plus a ticket, ive had 2 tickets plus an accident this year too... Bad year

help?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Car insurance/title ppl?

There is no ding on the title. The car must be written off to have a salvage title.

That said, if it does go to insurance, it will show up in carfax checks. They're probably just worried that you can't pay it or you won't pay to have it fixed correctly.

Well we told them to bring it to shop of their choice, a good shop will stand behind their work. Theyre both doctors so this is ridic, "albert" (her husband) if ur somehow out there reading this, eat a bag of dicks

What is a rebuilt title then? Is that not what it will show up as on carfax or does it need to be $x amount of damage first?

A rebuilt title is issued after a salvage title car is inspected and the state has determined that the parts used to rebuild the car weren't stolen. You can register a rebuilt title, you can't register a salvage title until it is inspected and a rebuilt title is issued.

Oh it happens; I had a work truck lose a piece of wood off their load and hit my car's hood. I made them stop and police came and they were found at fault for not securing their load. Fast forward to a year later when I went to trade in my car and dealer stated carfax showed the car was in a wreck. I explained to them it was a piece of wood and not a wreck, but since they reported it under insurance my car was considered to have a wreck and the value went down. Not sure how it always works, but that is how it went for me.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Its probably because of what someone else is telling them to do. It was probably brought up in conversation and someone stupid was like "I got screwed over once, I wouldnt let them pay. Go through their insurance".

Id ask them pointblank why they are changing their mind.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

As far as carfax is concerned, the insurance companies report it. So, if something is fixed out of pocket there is a good chance it will never show up.

You could use that to your favor but it could go both ways. Meaning you could tell them that if the carfax is reported their car will be worth less on a trade in or sale. The way it could backfire on you is that they would then want that difference from you. Meaning because you damaged their car and its now worth less they want that difference.

I made my wifes insurance company (before we were married) pay the difference between the trade in values because of the carfax ding. I told a buddy to try with his insurance company a few weeks ago and they laughed at him. Im not sure what the official stance is but on a $45k car thats hit, fixed and now worth $38k someone should be responsible for that difference if I trade the car in.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

\Appreciate it, guys. I'm trying to avoid conversation with the victim and her husband because at this point I would not be able to restrain my rage (my vehicle and my insurance/bundled policy taking the hit but not me driving and I'm definitely not blaming the gf--I'm the asshole who wanted the car for the day and made her take the truck...), but I do understand that it was my gf who hit them so how would I appreciate it if some guy called me up cussing me out because his wife ran into my car while I was at work and he is unhappy how it's getting handled...

Just making sure I'm not taking crazy pills. The girl said her husband is a "car guy" but it's seemed like he's been a complete idiot through this process for a car guy who should know better... unless she's the neurotic one? idk, this has all been weird. Like I said, they work together, have the means to pay, no reason they shouldn't trust it gets handled but they'd rather make it worse for all of us...makes sense"

and thanks for putting up with my ranting and hopefully people don't lose respect! To make matters worse, my gf/fiancée carried her own liability policy thinking she'd be covered if she wrecked another vehicle (aka mine), but since my truck is insured by me, her company told them all to take it up with my policy...great...you take speeding tickets, accidents (god forbid) for what it it is and a consequence for bad or reckless drivng but having my own homeowners/multiple car policy jeopardized because of this... f that!
    Last edited by GMR; Tue Nov 10th, 2015 at 10:46 PM.

Just because they begin with your insurance does it mean that you still have to finish with them? I'm no expert but if you just pay for it even after all the back and forth there's no claim on your side.

No law requires your car be insured if it is on private property, like a parking lot. You are only required to be insured if you are on a public roadway, and she wasn't.

So if you tell him the vehicle was not insured, and the only way it is going to get fixed is if he takes it to a shop of his choice and gets a quote... You wouldn't be breaking the law. Try and do this via email or text so there's a record of it though.

Depends on the property. If she works like at a Mall, what the owner's of the mall sometimes do is annex the parking lot or do something like that to the city, therefore the city has the right to ticket people and patrol the property, meaning the mall gets use of local law enforcement (this is not the case for ALL malls or store parking lots). So in that case it might be considered public property… Just a consideration...

They are probably afraid you may back out or something like that and deny anything happened….

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    No law requires your car be insured if it is on private property, like a parking lot. You are only required to be insured if you are on a public roadway, and she wasn't.

So if you tell him the vehicle was not insured, and the only way it is going to get fixed is if he takes it to a shop of his choice and gets a quote... You wouldn't be breaking the law. Try and do this via email or text so there's a record of it though.
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Quote Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
    They are probably afraid you may back out or something like that and deny anything happened….
    ...and you can still do that even when they report to your insurance company. I had some dumb bitch back out of her parking space right into the side of my truck as I drove by. I immediately stopped, got out and started taking pictures. Good thing I did, too. When I contacted her insurance, the first thing they do is verify the incident with their client. The bitch lied about what happened and I would have probably been screwed if I hadn't taken the pictures.

I had another incident, on the freeway, and it was mostly (ok, totally) my fault. When the dip shit I hit contacted my insurance company, he lied about what happened. He said I purposely tried to run him off the road. Because of that lie, my insurance didn't pay him a dime.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

So it's not illegal to have an uninsured vehicle on private party, but what about the obvious fact that it was driven there in the first place? I would imagine if somebody's car just got hit and you told them you don't have insurance and they're only getting it covered if they have you pay out of pocket, I imagine they may be quite irate with the situation and call the police to file the report. Sounds like a good way to be wasting an officers time so I'm just surprised Aaron, the officer, made that suggestion.

Well I guess there is no deductible when we damage a vehicle (that's what gf says insurance told her) so I just told the gf to save that automatic $1000 and put it towards a new policy or the increase if we get hit but kept on the policy (hopefully the latter).

I would never trust paying out of pocket once insurance has been notified. Sounds like a good way to take both a hit on the policy and get screwed out of tons of money.

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    So it's not illegal to have an uninsured vehicle on private party, but what about the obvious fact that it was driven there in the first place? I would imagine if somebody's car just got hit and you told them you don't have insurance and they're only getting it covered if they have you pay out of pocket, I imagine they may be quite irate with the situation and call the police to file the report. Sounds like a good way to be wasting an officers time so I'm just surprised Aaron, the officer, made that suggestion.
    Although that seems obvious to you and I, and of course that is what happens, the idea is that the car could have been towed to that parking lot. And not only can the Police not prove otherwise, but they furthermore couldn't prove who drove it to the parking lot.

They probably would/could do that, but it wouldn't change the situation from a Law Enforcement perspective for a few reasons. First, they are not required to stay on scene of the accident or notify Police in these circumstances. All they are required to do is leave their information. Once they've satisfied that requirement, they can leave.

If the other person was unhappy with that, and decided to call the Police, depending on the agency a report might not even be taken. If a report is taken, it will likely be done online or over the counter, most agencies would not send an Officer out for that since the only illegal action is Careless Driving. If you are acting lawfully, you'll never be wasting a Police Officer's time.

Lastly, I was not suggesting you do this. Just stating you would not be breaking the law in any way if you did. In fact I would not be surprised if even after Insurance does get involved it's still your decision on whether you want it covered by insurance. I'm not sure on that, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could tell your insurance company you do not want this covered/claimed by them.