Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

Jackasses ruin it for everyone!!!

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=19856
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Tue Dec 15th, 2015 at 09:37 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Re: FAA announces that ALL unmaned R/C aircraft have to be registered

Wow, just over half a pound is the starting weight. Thats just about any of the "hobby" grade ones that don't even come with cameras. I need to read it in depth...
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

I dont see what the big deal is. They are simply wanting drones that are flying around to be numbered so that they can tie the pilot to the machine.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Good. I haven't had any issues, but I've heard horror stories.

Does this affect RC planes as well? Or have those always had to be registered?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

I have not read it, but I wonder what their definitions are. What about model rockets that kids build?

Seems like a typical Government backasswards way of doing things to me. So a RC Drone is flying above a structure fire or active crime scene, interfering. The only way to know whose that is is to confiscate it, which requires taking it out of the sky. And currently, the only way we have of taking these out of the sky involves their likely destruction, either immediate or eventual. Either way the drone is destroyed, and the owner is out the $100-$1,000 dollar piece, which is punishment enough IMO. Just give the cops some birdshot, the firefighters some water, and let the problem work itself out.

Good question, I had to go back and re-read it. I'm no attorney but it would read like it applies to any R/C aircraft;

"In the sUAS Operation and Certification NPRM, the FAA proposed to define “unmannedaircraft” as “an aircraft operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from withinor on the aircraft.”
    21 "

Here is the "cheat sheet" FAQ from the site;
    http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/
    The thing I find interesting is that if you transfer your drone, you log back into the system, remove your reg id from the drone and delete the drone from your list of drones. Which is good as it puts the burden on the buyer...

I want to know how how to put a serial number on my drone...

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    Good. I haven't had any issues, but I've heard horror stories.

Does this affect RC planes as well? Or have those always had to be registered?
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    And Freakin' Old

It's a revenue generator. 1.6 million R/C aircraft sold per year X $5 per registration = another yacht for some asshole politician!

It also suck that it's illegal to fly within 5 miles of an airport. I'm 4 miles as the crow flies from Buckley AFB. You're telling me I can't practice hovering my big helis in my back yard anymore?!?

...aaaand just like gun laws, those who break the law just won't register their aircraft. It's just a revenue generator!!!
    Kim & Dean

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Jackasses ruin it for everyone!!!
    Agreed, but at the same time, understandable that some action would have to be taken eventually. As you mentioned above, 1.6 million R/C aircraft are sold each year. While I think most enthusiasts understand where, and where not, to fly their aircraft, given those numbers it's reasonable to assume that there are a lot who may not know, or simply just don't care.

Privacy issues aside, I think the more pertinent issue at hand is the potential for these aircraft to enter controlled airspace, such as military bases and airports. Facilities like these go to great lengths to mitigate potential bird-strike, so an unmanned aircraft presents a whole new can of worms. In that respect I can certainly understand the FAA wanting to track down the jackass who flew his aircraft into controlled airspace and shut an airport down until cleared.

The "within 5 miles" seems pretty ridiculous, as tower personnel could hardly see that far out, and it's unlikely a drone could fly high enough to enter into that section of controlled airspace. Overall, it does seem more like feel-good legislation rather than anything which will actually be enforceable. As with most laws, it's simply become easier to ticket, and fine, rather than educate.
    Last edited by Drano; Tue Dec 15th, 2015 at 08:27 AM.

This law is really far-reaching as I think most people only "think" of "quadcopters/multi-rotors" and not Park Flyers, Gliders, etc...

I wonder how long they impose some type of insurance requirement. I would think right now most home-owner policies would cover this to some degree, but I bet the insurance companies will start adding some form of a surcharge.
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    And Freakin' Old

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Agreed, but at the same time, understandable that some action would have to be taken eventually. As you mentioned above, 1.6 million R/C aircraft are sold each year. While I think most enthusiasts understand where, and where not, to fly their aircraft, given those numbers it's reasonable to assume that there are a lot who may not know, or simply just don't care.
    As soon as all the RTF (ready to fly) quad copters came out with the cameras, I knew this was going to happen. Now, any idiot can buy and fly. There's pretty much no learning curve to flying a quad. They're super easy, therefore, everyone has one, now.

Privacy issues aside, I think the more pertinent issue at hand is the potential for these aircraft to enter controlled airspace, such as military bases and airports. Facilities like these go to great lengths to mitigate potential bird-strike, so an unmanned aircraft presents a whole new can of worms. In that respect I can certainly understand the FAA wanting to track down the jackass who flew his aircraft into controlled airspace and shut an airport down until cleared.
    Agreed, but the jackass who likes to cause drama will simply not register his aircraft.

The "within 5 miles" seems pretty ridiculous, as tower personnel could hardly see that far out, and it's unlikely a drone could fly high enough to enter into that section of controlled airspace.
    I've had my QX 350 over 1,000' up. Believe me, they are very capable of entering that airspace. The range on these radios is well out-of-sight.
    Kim & Dean

Re: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

BTW, I can't find anything on "registration numbers". It didn't read like the FAA site generates those. That you as the owner provide them. What if there is not serial number on your drone?
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    And Freakin' Old

Quote Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
    BTW, I can't find anything on "registration numbers". It didn't read like the FAA site generates those. That you as the owner provide them. What if there is not serial number on your drone?
    When you register, it will spit out a form with a reg. number. One number for all your aircraft. Put the number in a battery compartment, or anywhere else that doesn't require tools for access and you're good to go.
    Kim & Dean

As I understand it, it's effectively $5 per pilot regardless of how many aircraft. Anything that is remote controlled and over half a pound is included, planes, gliders, multicopters, etc. The fee will be waived for the first month, but you have to register every three years.

The whole thing is stupid and pointless. First off, when Congress passed the FAA Modernization and Reform Act it included a "Special Rule for Model Aircraft" clause that should prevent the FAA from making rules or regulations about hobby / recreational model aircraft. That didn't stop them though, the FAA released their 'interpretation' where they think they can, so that is currently tied up in court. Assuming the original act is upheld, the FAA has no authority to implement this.

Second, so most of the legal aircraft will have a number written on them. I'm SURE anyone who plans to break the law or just fly irresponsibly will have their number displayed, they wouldn't not display or even display a number registered to someone else. Also, if one is involved in an accident or worse, what's the likelihood the number survives?
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Senior Member Moderator

I've had my QX 350 over 1,000' up. Believe me, they are very capable of entering that airspace. The range on these radios is well out-of-sight.
    Wow, I wasn't aware they had that kind of range. Then again, I was basing my judgement on R/Cs like the AR Parrot, which has a range of 150 - 300 feet depending on mods. That's pretty incredible to go beyond 1,000'.

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    As I understand it, it's effectively $5 per pilot regardless of how many aircraft. Anything that is remote controlled and over half a pound is included, planes, gliders, multicopters, etc. The fee will be waived for the first month, but you have to register every three years.
    Finally, someone read the link.
    The whole thing is stupid and pointless. First off, when Congress passed the FAA Modernization and Reform Act it included a "Special Rule for Model Aircraft" clause that should prevent the FAA from making rules or regulations about hobby / recreational model aircraft. That didn't stop them though, the FAA released their 'interpretation' where they think they can, so that is currently tied up in court. Assuming the original act is upheld, the FAA has no authority to implement this.
    Stupid? Pointless? You do know we are talking about our government?!?
    Second, so most of the legal aircraft will have a number written on them. I'm SURE anyone who plans to break the law or just fly irresponsibly will have their number displayed, they wouldn't not display or even display a number registered to someone else. Also, if one is involved in an accident or worse, what's the likelihood the number survives?
    When I get home, I'll post some crash pics of 1/4 scale (big) planes. You'll be amazed at how much survives.
    Kim & Dean

If you spend a bit of time on youtube and similar, you can find videos that start to show the altitude and range.

There are also videos just made to showcase altitude etc, lots of people claiming 'records'. Unfortunately these people are contributing to the increased regulations.

When I get home, I'll post some crash pics of 1/4 scale (big) planes. You'll be amazed at how much survives.
    I agree if they just crash by themselves. One scenario people like to throw around is being sucked into a jet engine, pretty sure the number isn't likely to survive.
    Blair

This article has one good point I liked; how to define what should or shouldn't "need' to be registered. http://www.tested.com/tech/555995-wh...-registration/

The use of GPS should have been one discriminator as opposed to weight.
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    And Freakin' Old

I think I'll be waiting to register until this thing plays out a bit more. I can't imagine the can be any real enforcement. The only ones that will get caught will be those that crash them or get caught flying illegally. It looks like they are asking for the public to be their eyes and snitches. And with the fines they are talking about it must be national security

Taken from text of FAA Regs publication:

"The National Air Transportation Association expressed its support of the registration requirement, but acknowledged the ability to track an unsafe or noncompliant UAS back to the operator is limited to incidents in which the UAS is disabled, but not too damaged to obtain registration information. Several commenters, including the Competitive Enterprise Institute, questioned the usefulness of a registration number for identification purposes asserting a registration number would be impossible to read during flight, would only be useful after an incident has occurred and only if the UAS is recovered. Some commenters said affixing the name and contact information of the owner to or in the aircraft will serve the same purpose with much less expense. Other commenters said because it will be very easy for an individual to ignore the registration requirement, the small benefit of registration will be greatly outweighed by the burden placed on the model aircraft industry and the cost of implementing and maintaining the system.
    NAAA and CoAA said registration will help track down who is responsible after an accident, but noted that FAA will not be able to enforce illegal and unsafe operations without requiring UAS to be equipped with an ADS-B like system through which to trace them."

The AMA is suggesting their members hold off for now:
    http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...odel-aircraft/
    Blair

Drones don't kill people, people kill... umm nevermind.

Seems to me this was just an arm waving move to placate the complainers. Personally don't think this law has any teeth to it, unless your UAV gets captured or downed and they read the number.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Seems to me this was just an arm waving move to placate the complainers. Personally don't think this law has any teeth to it, unless your UAV gets captured or downed and they read the number.
    As usual, it is a way of "doing something" but does little to nothing productive, and inconveniences law-abiding people (e.g. TSA). It's much easier to hassle the hell out of law-abiding people than it is to actually try to do something about crime.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Woohoo! Today is the big day! The Registration site is supposed to go live! Wonder if its going to be overwhelmed and crash. The guys at the LHS said the AMA (Aircraft Modeler) groups is recommending to their members to NOT register as they are filing an injunction or something like that.

What I find interesting, and again shows the lack of knowledge by the media and the public, is when they are reporting on this registration, all they are showing are "multi-rotors", no gliders, Park flyers, or any fixed-wing type aircraft...

Because of my line of work, I'm going to wind up registering by the 21st of Jan. unless the rules change...
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    And Freakin' Old

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume this was one of you undocumented types to blame here...

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson