Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

Re: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    There are laws to require registration but no enforcement per say. They are relying on local LEO to enforce. And there is not any real push to crack down. BTW there is flight restrictions out to 5 mi. of Airports. Not total no fly, but there altitude restrictions that taper out to the 5 mi. mark and max altitude of 400'.
    https://www.airmap.com/
    they have apps for phones

https://verifly.com/

$1mil insurance for an hour of flying for around $10, more in some areas.

My altitdue was about 200ft when I was near the airport and I wasn't over any fences so I'm confident I was out of harms way, was trying to get some footage of the bronco training center.

When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Wow! That's surprising! With all the idiots buying these things, I thought for sure that law would stick.

I added a Phantom 4 Pro+ to the collection a few months ago. Freakin' amazing the electronics a civilian can buy these days"!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

I'm not, that's what the law says. If they want to change the law that's one thing, but just making up some new regulations that run counter to the law, it's not likely to stick.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

This is just a temporary set-back for the FAA. The public and Media who fear drones almost as much as firearms will come back with re-written rules and guidelines. Just wait till there is some "alleged" near-miss and the media says its because there are no longer any rules in place for hobbyist drones, it'll change quickly...

Interesting to note this only affects the FAA, so any municipalities that created rules and regs against flying drones will still be in place unless someone is willing to take up the cause and fight it in court with their own money.

And if you do own a DJI drone(s) like I do. They've announced a new firmware update the end of this week that will enforce GEO-fencing. http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji...rmware-updates
    I've read where some people aren't going to update their software so they won't have to take the update. BUT I've heard that you'll need to "re-login" to your account when they turn this feature on, and you'll be forced to accept the change...

Seems like even if the FAA is unable to enforce rules/regs, the manufacturers are self-regulating. Good to some degree as its better to self-regulate rather than have the government force rules down your throat potentially killing your business...

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Wow! That's surprising! With all the idiots buying these things, I thought for sure that law would stick.

I added a Phantom 4 Pro+ to the collection a few months ago. Freakin' amazing the electronics a civilian can buy these days"!
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Quote Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
    And if you do own a DJI drone(s) like I do. They've announced a new firmware update the end of this week that will enforce GEO-fencing. http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji...rmware-updates
    I've read where some people aren't going to update their software so they won't have to take the update. BUT I've heard that you'll need to "re-login" to your account when they turn this feature on, and you'll be forced to accept the change...
    I updated a few weeks ago and it gave me the option to download the new "map" for restricted areas. I said no and everything appears to work properly. I guess the new update won't give me that option. Bummer!
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
    The news release says the update is for international customers. So, who is that?
    Kim & Dean

If congress were to pass changes to the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, then it would open the door for regulations. As it stands, recreational model aircraft are exempt from FAA regulations. The AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) still has a pending court case over the FAA's interpretation of the special rule, but this decision likely bodes well for that case.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Big ole nothing burger. Only DJI Go4 was updated and was to support the Spark, which I have ordered . And update databases My Mavic will still fly in the Buckley NFZ in override. It is class D. I have never been able to override the restriction where I am working in Loveland because I am 2k from runway in a class E to surface. Can't even get the motors to arm.

Well I submitted my request to be removed from the database and get muh fi-dolla back! LOL
    The newest DJI GO updates(s) included enforced geo fencing. You can get 3-day unlock codes but what a pain. My backyard falls into one of these area so I have to get codes for any/all of the UAS I want to fly. Inconvenient but doable. It does include a full restriction within a 1/2 mile or so of the tower. Couldn't take off at all at my last project in loveland right next to the Ft Col. airport. Sucked cause I wanted aerial pics of the work we were doing.
    On another note, I got one of the new spark and it is really neat for such a small craft. I also just received my new DJI Goggles and WOW it it so awesome to fly with these these things. great resolution and nice view screen, really looks like a video game on a big screen compared to the old FPV goggles.