Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

Re: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

The only reason they only show drones is because they themselves are drones. They know no other way to describe RC aircraft.
    Rest assured the FAA requires everything that leave the ground that is remotely controlled and weighs over .55 lbs is included.

Link to the LEO hand out. They will be the "boots on the ground"
    https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcem...dance_card.pdf

Here is an article about the handout being misleading.

http://onforb.es/1Ny2Rsq

Has anyone registered their shit yet? I picked up one of these yesterday. Welcome to 4K!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/media/chroma/BLH8691.html

I'm waiting until the deadline, hoping the AMA will shoot this stupid idea down!!

...aaaaand, Nobama is going to pencil whip some new gun laws today. I'm sure they'll be well thought out (like drone registration) and stop the criminals, leaving my law abiding rights alone!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I'm just gonna go ahead and assume this was one of you undocumented types to blame here...

yeah that was my bad. my ftp lifestyle gets a little carried away sometimes.

#14 of 100 USA limited edition.
    Now I have to build it and then afford the electronics to put in it.

Haven't seen any stories about people being harassed about registration yet.

Looks like some fun new items for both of you. I've held off on registering so far, might as well wait a bit and see what happens.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Just registered. Wanted to do it before I forgot and had to pay. All you do is give them your name and address and they cough up a registration number. You don't have to list any of your aircraft like all the hype said.
    Kim & Dean

Aurora PD just left my house. I knew as soon as people saw on the news that these things have to be registered, it would be an excuse for ass holes to call the cops. I flew for the first time, since required registration, over the park next to my house today. Flown over there thousands of times over the lat 19 years. Never a peep. Sure as shit. Some ass hole said I was following the kids and taking pictures of them and called the cops. Showed the cops the video and they spent the rest of the time talking about my Star Wars collection. Four hundred feet in the air is not "following". Better make sure you have your registration!!
    Kim & Dean

Dean you are such a menace to the neighborhood!
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Aurora PD just left my house. I knew as soon as people saw on the news that these things have to be registered, it would be an excuse for ass holes to call the cops. I flew for the first time, since required registration, over the park next to my house today. Flown over there thousands of times over the lat 19 years. Never a peep. Sure as shit. Some ass hole said I was following the kids and taking pictures of them and called the cops. Showed the cops the video and they spent the rest of the time talking about my Star Wars collection. Four hundred feet in the air is not "following". Better make sure you have your registration!!
    This whole registration thing seems ridiculous to me but good for you for having your ass covered.
    Last edited by Gramps; Sun Jan 24th, 2016 at 06:55 AM.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    This whole registration thing seems ridiculous to me but good for you for having your ass covered.
    They really didn't know the new rules. They weren't going to ask for the registration until I asked if they wanted to see it. Then, they asked me what all the rules were. Guess they didn't read the "memo" the FAA sent out to LEOs.

When I showed them the video, they were blown away with the resolution and kept saying how these quads would be great for SWAT surveillance. I told them I'd be their pilot.
    Kim & Dean

So what you guys think of them now using Eagles to take down drones? Claims it will be in restricted areas like airports.

No matter how many regulations are put in place, drones are cheap enough now that frequent misuse is becoming the norm. There’s no good way of dealing with a dangerous drone: you can jam its radios to force it to autoland, or maybe try using an even bigger drone to capture it inside a giant net. In either of these cases, however, you run the risk of having the drone go completely out of control, which is even more dangerous.
    Or, you can be like the Dutch National Police, and train eagles to take down drones for you.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/r...ke-down-drones
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

The Dutch are doing that. I kinda dig it, it's sporting. A good pilot could theoretically try and out maneuver the bird!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    The Dutch are doing that. I kinda dig it, it's sporting. A good pilot could theoretically try and out maneuver the bird!
    would that be considered resisting arrest?

Now we'll need to escalate the drone war with anti-anti drone drones.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    So what you guys think of them now using Eagles to take down drones?
    I think there is a lot of spinning props that could shred that birds legs and feet. I think they should be charged with cruelty to animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I think there is a lot of spinning props that could shred that birds legs and feet. I think they should be charged with cruelty to animals.
    I was kind of thinking that since the drone in the video seems to have to rotors at the bottom, but what would happen if they were on the top and the eagle stuck it's legs in it. I'd think some drones could hurt the bird. Are metal rotors allowed on drones?

Metal is to heavy, plastic or carbon fiber would be quite capable of doing significant damage. Ask anyone who has gotten bit by one.

https://youtu.be/hOTOymQJMLk

Usually not a good idea to grab a UAV in flight.

Gold Member

yeah just my cheap ass quad hurts like a bitch. couldn't imagine one of those big ones.

Wow, don't let your drone hit the Empire State building because you will be arrested:

A New Jersey man who accidentally flew a drone into the Empire State Building was arrested on Thursday after he asked security guards there for help retrieving it from a ledge on the famed skyscraper’s 36th floor, the police said.
    Sean Riddle, 27, of Jersey City, was arrested shortly before 8 p.m. on Thursday on charges of reckless endangerment and avigation in and over New York City, a charge the police apply in cases related to the navigation of an aircraft.
    The police said that Mr. Riddle was flying his drone in Midtown Manhattan on Thursday when it crashed into the building’s 40th floor.
    The device fell from the sky after striking the building, landing on a ledge four floors down. Mr. Riddle then entered the building to ask security guards for help.
    The guards agreed to help, but called the police instead. The police said they did not know if the drone was ever retrieved from the ledge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/ny...tml?ref=topics

reviving this, have any of you other than Kin-N-Dean registered there stuff? I have been goofing around with my DJI P3 away from my neighborhood lately and am curious what people have been experiencing lately.

I flew within a mile of an airport and the DJI told me i was getting too close so i brought it back, no harm no fowl and nobody shot it down.

Although the city I work for isn't huge on drones, we have not had any issues that I'm aware of.

Yeah, I've registered with the FAA. No big deal. I'd suggest joining the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). For the 75 bucks a year you get like liability insurance as long as you are a hobbyist. So in the unfortunate event you damage someone's property or hit someone in a flyaway you have insurance.

I do stick to the rules regarding where to fly. I don't want any hassles. In all the times I've been flying I've only had one person/citizen question me as if they knew what they were talking about, asking if my drone was registered and the like.. I was polite and it did not turn confrontational... My Phantom 4 alerts me to whatever the airspace classification is. But you simply check the "ack" box and fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    reviving this, have any of you other than Kin-N-Dean registered there stuff? I have been goofing around with my DJI P3 away from my neighborhood lately and am curious what people have been experiencing lately.

I flew within a mile of an airport and the DJI told me i was getting too close so i brought it back, no harm no fowl and nobody shot it down.
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

There are laws to require registration but no enforcement per say. They are relying on local LEO to enforce. And there is not any real push to crack down. BTW there is flight restrictions out to 5 mi. of Airports. Not total no fly, but there altitude restrictions that taper out to the 5 mi. mark and max altitude of 400'.
    https://www.airmap.com/
    they have apps for phones

https://verifly.com/

$1mil insurance for an hour of flying for around $10, more in some areas.
    Last edited by Bueller; Wed Dec 21st, 2016 at 07:29 PM.