Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subaru: It's not a choice...

Senior Member Moderator

Subaru: It's not a choice...

Foresters are meant to be in the forest, not on roads!

Re: Subaru: It's not a choice...

I'm just at a loss for how this even happened. I mean, it has like, the best all wheel drive ev3r.

Gold Member

well it would help if he wasn't trying to play cameraman while driving like a dick. but what really did him in was locking it up when he started to leave the road.

I bet that was a hell of an adrenaline rush. lol

Not sure what this has to do with Subaru as to me it was bad driving that could happen to any vehicle

Seems pretty common for people to wreck right after a tunnel. The tunnel is covered from snow, so people forget when they get back on that road after a tunnel it has ice. Notice how fast he comes out of that tunnel and right when his tires hit the exposed road is where he lost it and then locked it up all scared. I've seen it happen multiple times coming out of Eisenhower tunnel.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Gold Member

not argue but to argue. lol. there is no snow on the road. he came in hot to the corner and locked it up. spun and went off the road.

100% driver error.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    not argue but to argue. lol. there is no snow on the road. he came in hot to the corner and locked it up. spun and went off the road.

100% driver error.
    My bad...meant ice. Overall just extreme changes in road conditions that mainly only happen from tunnels or large bridges.

I am sure the turn and blinding light may not have helped either.

Who knows, maybe just bad driving, but pointing out how tunnels can be bad news if you are not used to them.

Gold Member

brings to mind the old saying. when in doubt throttle out.

brings to mind the old saying. when in doubt throttle out.
    Right! More people need to practice before it happens. When it is icy out I purposely (in parking lots) make my car lose traction so that I know how it feels so when it happens in a emergency and I don't panic. My wife and mom constantly think I am crazy for doing this, but to me I'd rather be ready than wait and at least I know what to do when it happens. It has helped me a lot learn how to control a skid and what to do.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Not sure what this has to do with Subaru as to me it was bad driving that could happen to any vehicle
    He was driving a Subaru, a bit obvious, actually. But, I'm just messing around man, and having a laugh at this guy's expense. It has to do with Subaru because the dude bought a Subaru, installed a few bolt-ons, then went driving his Subaru like it was ready for the tarmac stage of a WRC event. No, it's not exclusive to Subaru owners, but in this case, it applies.

I agree with you 100% that it could happen to any vehicle, though I would amend it to any vehicle and driver that has slapped on a few mods and thought he was suddenly Lewis Hamilton. The incident could also have ended any number of ways depending the skill-level of the driver, too.

It seems, and this is just my opinion, and I'm stating this with tongue placed firmly in cheek, that a dude bought a car renowned for its AWD and traction, modded it, and thought that was all it takes to go up into the mountains and drive fast. If he had been in a BMW, the title would have read: "The Ultimate Driving Machine..."; or "Audi: I got Quattro-oooh no, oh no!" and so on. It could have been any vehicle, and if it had, the title would read differently.
    Last edited by Drano; Wed Jan 13th, 2016 at 11:15 AM.

Gold Member

you leave BMW out of this!

Holy shit this guy can not drive....

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    He was driving a Subaru, a bit obvious, actually. But, I'm just messing around man, and having a laugh at this guy's expense. It has to do with Subaru because the dude bought a Subaru, installed a few bolt-ons, then went driving his Subaru like it was ready for the tarmac stage of a WRC event. No, it's not exclusive to Subaru owners, but in this case, it applies.

I agree with you 100% that it could happen to any vehicle, though I would amend it to any vehicle and driver that has slapped on a few mods and thought he was suddenly Lewis Hamilton. The incident could also have ended any number of ways depending the skill-level of the driver, too.

It seems, and this is just my opinion, and I'm stating this with tongue placed firmly in cheek, that a dude bought a car renowned for its AWD and traction, modded it, and thought that was all it takes to go up into the mountains and drive fast. If he had been in a BMW, the title would have read: "The Ultimate Driving Machine..."; or "Audi: I got Quattro-oooh no, oh no!" and so on. It could have been any vehicle, and if it had, the title would read differently.
    Oh for sure....so many people think it is the car that makes you fast, but skills have way more to do with it....although some of these newer cars are taking some of the skill away with dual transmission, computer assist, launch control, etc. I just got into a debate
    how "manual transmissions" (what I prefer) is getting more and more rare for people to drive and to me it takes more skill than using all this new technology to make anyone fast!

Same happens with sportbikes...so many people buy mods before learning to ride. Had a good buddy wreck this way who got a bike and less than a month later he had a bunch of mods on it that he did not need; rich kid. Tried to pass one of my racer buddies on a way less powered bike and got schooled that power does not equal skill.

Senior Member Moderator

you leave BMW out of this!
    I'll see my Subaru video, and raise it to an M3! Just for you Townie

Last edited by Drano; Wed Jan 13th, 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    I'll see my Subaru video, and raise it to an M3! Just for you Townie

yeah but at least he didn't roll of the very first corner.

Just came across this and thought it fit for what I said above; stick shifts are rarity now

For me it is why my wife never gets to drive my car even if she wanted too

Go back and look, it appears someone did a very similar crash in between the tunnels. At 1:10 it looks like a pair of tire marks heading towards the cliff.

I liked the M3 crash better, the rolling off the cliff had "better" results than driving straight off like a movie.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Go back and look, it appears someone did a very similar crash in between the tunnels. At 1:10 it looks like a pair of tire marks heading towards the cliff.

I liked the M3 crash better, the rolling off the cliff had "better" results than driving straight off like a movie.
    Wow, good eye! That person probably went off too. Now that is probably a better example of just extremely different conditions between a tunnel road and a exposed road since there really was no turn.

Gold Member

Wow, good eye! That person probably went off too. Now that is probably a better example of just extremely different conditions between a tunnel road and a exposed road since there really was no turn.
    or a rock that fell of the side of the hill and cause the previous car to swerve. I mean we are just guessing with the tracks. plus most cars that slide on ice don't leave skid marks.

That "oh no, oh no.." That is the wording of a person that is about to DIE. The sound of his voice made me feel sorry for him. He probably shit his pants. His whole outlook in life has change for sure. Real amazing his lil station wagon is not as fuck up as you would think.

and never let a woman drive your whip. She'll fuck up the rims!!!

or a rock that fell of the side of the hill and cause the previous car to swerve. I mean we are just guessing with the tracks. plus most cars that slide on ice don't leave skid marks.
    True! All I know is there have been times I entered Eisenhower tunnel and it was sunny and warm and on other side of tunnel it was a blizzard on the other side; those tunnels cut through a mountain so I've encountered near opposite weather from one side to the other

Gold Member

True! All I know is there have been times I entered Eisenhower tunnel and it was sunny and warm and on other side of tunnel it was a blizzard on the other side; those tunnels cut through a mountain so I've encountered near opposite weather from one side to the other

you are throwing out some good advice. making my nipples all hard and what have you!

you are throwing out some good advice. making my nipples all hard and what have you!

Gold Member

think they call that sexting!

Well you two just send pms now. The rest of us don't need to know of your sexual exploits