2 7.14%
  • MV Agusta F4-RR

2 7.14%
  • Suzuki GSX-R1000

3 10.71%
  • Yamaha R1M

6 21.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 2016 Superbike Would You Buy?

Senior Member Moderator

Which 2016 Superbike Would You Buy?

The title is fairly self-explanatory. If you had the money to walk into a dealership and buy the 2016 superbike of your choice, which would it be?

Pictures are provided below for those who don't know what a superbike looks like.

Now, I have one simple request from you. It is this: if you choose to answer this survey, why did you select that particular ride, and, if you are bold enough, why did the others not make the cut?

If you have already bought your 2016 superbike, mark it down too! Or, perhaps you've changed your mind and, in retrospect, should have bought a different one... Which one, and why?

Now, if you don't want a superbike, do not fret! Over the next while I will create a list for the other classes, too.

Have fun with this, everyone!

P.S. One glaring omission to some may be the Kawasaki H2, well, that bike really doesn't classify well with these guys and falls more into ZX-14 and Hayabusa territory, so it got cut, sorry!
    Last edited by Drano; Thu Jan 14th, 2016 at 12:19 PM.

Senior Member Moderator

Re: Which 2016 Supersport Would You Buy?

Aprilia RSV4 RF

BMW S1000RR

Senior Member Moderator

Ducati 1299 Panigale S

Honda CBR1000RR

Senior Member Moderator

Kawasaki ZX-10R

MV Agusta F4-RR

Senior Member Moderator

Suzuki GSX-R1000

Yamaha R1M

Senior Member Moderator

Since I proposed this little survey, I'll start.

I'd get the RSV4 RF, hands down, no questions asked. But since I've obligated myself to answer, it's the V4. To me, it sounds far too sexy to pass up. On top of that, it boasts great engine and chassis performance along with a great electronics package that, while not as sophisticated as Ducati and BMW, is easily forgiven due to the sound it makes. Just hearing it gives me chills.

2nd place would go to the Yamaha R1M. That crossplane engine is the next-closest sound to the Aprilia. On top of that, it has proven itself to be one of the best, if not the best, bike out there for 2016. Unfortunately, those headlights turn an almost M1 into a grotesque. I can forgive its looks given what its capable of, but in comparison to the RSV4, it's not a debate for me.

3rd place is the Panigale. I'm a sucker for a v-twin, and in the looks department the Panigale has no equal, but its ergos are severe, and the underseat heat would get obnoxious really fast in full leathers.

The rest, well, they're inlines. Yes, so is the R1, but it's different. I'm just not a fan of inlines in the same way as a V4 or V2. If I didn't have the three choices above, then I suppose the list would look as follows: 4th: BMW; 5th: MV Agusta; 6th: Honda; 7th: Kawasaki; 8th: Suzuki. This list will likely change once Honda and Suzuki get their acts together and make an updated (not just graphics) machine, so we'll see.

All those bikes are bad-ass. Hard choice , lemme get back to you

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

When I started into riding I came in as a Yamaha guy, the R1M is not the most beautiful of the bikes you've given us to choose from (it might even be toward the bottom) but it is a technical marvel. So in addition to that which I've mentioned, I picked it:

- Because of its exclusivity in the general sport-biking world.
    - Because I don't have a Yamaha now, but do have an Aprilia and an MV Agusta.
    - Because I need an i4 in the stable to compliment the triple and twin.
    - Because Rossi.

And incase you're keeping score at home, the BMW would have been runner-up, but not that in that vomitus black & red paint scheme.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Panigale for sure! It's pointless to buy based on performance, for all these bikes have performance way beyond what can be used on the open road, so I'd go with style, and Ducati has the most amount of style.
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

I have no idea without riding them, but since I'm old & slow I'd get the one with the most comfortable seat & didn't cost an arm & a leg to maintain. So I assume the Italians are out.

Am I in the right thread? Where's the FOG section? Or the one where we rave about Honda Accords?

Wow, only one to choose the MV Agusta huh.....I've been out of the game for a few though, but just always wanted one.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Which 2016 Superbike Would You Buy?

The answer for me depends on what I was buying it for.
    Street: RSV4RF or S1000RR
    Racing: RSV4RF / R1M / ZX10R
    Picking one out of each list would come down to sitting on it, reading more about it, etc.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Don't know where my response went so I apologize if it shows up twice...

Assuming I can keep my current rides, the Aprilia. I'll be the first to admit I'm an Italian bike Fanboy. I really enjoyed racing my 00.5 Mille and even had one for the street later on. Just a great bike, I can't imagine how much better today's version is. But I used to tell people it had Euro looks and handling but Japanese reliability. Never had an issue with either of mine...

Next would be the Panigale... Ducati fanboy what can I say..

3rd would be the MV Agusta...

IF I was still young enough to race it would have been the Yamaha hands down. My first motorcycle, my first racebike, and my favorite bikes have been Yamahas....
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

I won't be getting a 16, but got a 15 last year, and same difference.

Loved my 13 S1000RR, which definitely gave the 15 points. For me it was how great the BMW is as a street bike. It blows every one of the others away on the dyno as usual. The OEM heated grips, cruise control, butter smooth fuel injection, and the awesome ergonomics is what sold me. I've ridden the BMW to Arizona, South Dakota, etc, racking up over 20,000 miles. I love it, couldn't be happier with my choice.

Bottom line is there isn't a single dude on this forum who will notice a performance difference between any on the list. Hell even the best riders in the world run within 2 seconds on each bike. And they attribute that to their confidence in the bike more than anything. So buy the one that is the most comfortable and looks the best to you, the one that inspires your confidence.

Hands down the Panigale for me. I think at this level of bike you are buying more than just the need or want to go fast. You are buying an experience and the bike should be the instigator of the experience.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Absolutely. The experience of the worst fuel injection tuning I've ever felt, a blazing hot ass, and being rated 30hp higher than it puts down!

Haha just messing with you of course! All in good fun. You simply cannot buy a better looking motorbike. Even Drano's posts have average pictures for every bike, and then a Victoria's Secret cover girl photo for the Duc.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Even Drano's posts have average pictures for every bike, and then a Victoria's Secret cover girl photo for the Duc.
    Hey now! I tried (lazily) to find pics of all bikes with white backdrops. It's not my fault the photographers won't give the Pani the same, bland, treatment as the rest!

The H2 is nothing like a ZX14R or Hayabusa. Not sure how it gets left out. It clearly is the hands down winner compared to every other liter bike.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    The H2 is nothing like a ZX14R or Hayabusa. Not sure how it gets left out. It clearly is the hands down winner compared to every other liter bike.
    For power, the H2 is on par with most of the top-end superbikes, the problem is that it is a lot heavier and, afaik will not be competing in the WSBK series, the ZX-10R will be. Also, I'm not talking about the H2R, either.

I tried to ensure this survey applied to bikes in the same class as each other. You say the H2 isn't like a ZX-14R or a Busa, and I can agree with that, however, nor is it like the current field of superbikes either. For weight, it's heavier than the ZX-10R, but lighter than the ZX-14R. Wheelbase, it's longer than the ZX-10R, but shorter than the ZX-14R. On the track, it's going to be slower than a ZX-10R, but most likely faster than a ZX-14R. So, right now, the only thing it has going for it is horsepower and straight-line speed. If that makes it a winner for you, then who am I to argue. But, on a track it's not showing itself to be a superior machine.

Now, the point of this thread is not to argue which is objectively better, it is meant to pick the 2016 bike in its class which would be your must-have, and that's utterly subjective. Just have fun with it, it's not meant to be a contest.
    Last edited by Drano; Thu Jan 14th, 2016 at 04:52 PM.

So competing in the WSBK series is criteria for your little poll? You should have mentioned that from the beginning. But you simply said which 2016 Superbike would you buy. I say the 2016 H2.

Oh and to answer your question as to why... the looks, technology, and the fact that no other bike is going to make 275rwhp with just bolt ons and a tune.

Senior Member Moderator

So competing in the WSBK series is criteria for your little poll? You should have mentioned that from the beginning. But you simply said which 2016 Superbike would you buy. I say the 2016 H2.
    I apologize, I thought that "superbike" made it fairly self-evident which bikes pertain to the category I chose. WSBK = World Superbike.

Oh and to answer your question as to why... the looks, technology, and the fact that no other bike is going to make 275rwhp with just bolt ons and a tune.
    It is an amazing bike, I agree, but this statement only confirms to me that the niche it will fill in the market is more similar to that of a ZX-14R and Hayabusa than to the current crop of superbikes. Let's just call it too unique of a duck to be categorized and be done with it. I did apologize for leaving it out of the survey, but I stand by my reasons.

If I wanted a bike to turn into a road course machine, then no the H2 would not be it. It's too nice to ball up, heavier then others like you mentioned, and my guess maybe not as easy to ride. So if I wanted a race bike, I'd pick zx10r or gsxr1000. For the fact that both have huge aftermarkets, and with the money saved over the bmw you'll be able to mod it so it's faster then the bmw. If I had to buy one and not mod it to race, it'd be the bmw. If I was going to just walk in and buy a new bike, it'd still be the H2. Because let's be honest, who wants to buy a brand new bike and take then just slap race plastics on it anyways? The H2 leads the crowd as far as all around street bike. It has enough handling and brakes to satisfy most anyone here, more power (and potential) then all the others, and a sex appeal the is second to none.

In the context of "If you had the money to walk into a dealership and buy the 2016 superbike of your choice" AND I don't have to give up the current road bike to do it (because these are dreams, right?), The R1M wins. The front end looks aren't appealing because of the lights but it would just be track skinned anyway. The RSV4 would be second choice because holy crap that is a nice beast but it can't win for me if I have to go to the Denver area for service matters that I don't want to tackle. But, if one of these had to serve both a track and road machine purpose, the BMW would win it for me.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig