Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sooooooo.......I'm kind of like back I guess?

Re: Sooooooo.......I'm kind of like back I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    You ask too many questions and i am offended that you would think i would be offended by your non offensive questions.

Its a matter of what makes you happy man, the decision was made with the intent to stay away but when you fall in love with something the heart wants what it wants. 2 years was enough time for me to realize that sure the things you do that make you happy can end your life, but in the end that's really all that matters, die doing what you love right otherwise whats the point? I love being able to ride, we got to a financially responsible position to pickup a bike and decided its what would make me happy. Riding is the only other hobby other than going to the gym i have and now that the kid is older and taller she can ride with me. Besides when you sit down and think about it something tragic can happen when you get in your car and go to the grocery store. These past 2 years have allowed me to decide what kind of rider i want to be if i were to get another bike and this is what lead to us picking up the CTX, comfort, enough speed and power, and still be fun in the twisties. I will say this now knowing it wont bare true but i don't THINK i will be riding as much as when i did with the other bikes but we will see....
    Fair enough…thanks for the reply homey

You have been one from CSC for a while, so you have not seen how sensitive people are and how easily they get offended so that is why I said that……to the point where I barely post now because who knows what I say can be taken wrong.

I guess all I can think is I am getting old. I used to just ride and never thought of the consequences, but numerous funerals and trips to hospital made me see how fragile we are on a bike and just messed me up to the point where the “love” just got taken over by the fear of becoming a paraplegic / quadriplegic or making my family go through the pain of my death. I got hit in my car when a lady was texting and ran a stop light and I know for sure I’d of not survived that or would have been in bad shape if I were on a bike and just questioned if it was worth it anymore….. I still think of getting something else, but these damn stupid drivers just get me nervous on the street now.

I am still leaning to the option of track only so hopefully one day I’ll get back on to rip some corners….need a truck to tow it first though (saving up for that).

P.S. Yup, I am still lifting 5 days a week, so glad to hear you are still at it too.

Glad you are back though; missed you
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Fair enough…thanks for the reply homey

You have been one from CSC for a while, so you have not seen how sensitive people are and how easily they get offended so that is why I said that……to the point where I barely post now because who knows what I say can be taken wrong.

I guess all I can think is I am getting old. I used to just ride and never thought of the consequences, but numerous funerals and trips to hospital made me see how fragile we are on a bike and just messed me up to the point where the “love” just got taken over by the fear of becoming a paraplegic / quadriplegic or making my family go through the pain of my death. I got hit in my car when a lady was texting and ran a stop light and I know for sure I’d of not survived that or would have been in bad shape if I were on a bike and just questioned if it was worth it anymore….. I still think of getting something else, but these damn stupid drivers just get me nervous on the street now.

I am still leaning to the option of track only so hopefully one day I’ll get back on to rip some corners….need a truck to tow it first though (saving up for that).

P.S. Yup, I am still lifting 5 days a week, so glad to hear you are still at it too.

Glad you are back though; missed you
    I thought of doing track deal which i could cause i have a truck, but the money and time away when instead it could be with the kid on the bike pushed me to stay street. I glanced at a few things and saw Bueller even had a post deleted....Bueller??? I mean i know hes a knowledgeable asshole but its bueller for christ sake! Oh well, I'm not here for the drama (even though ezzzzzzyyyyyyyyyy is going to want to ride me like a p0ny because i know he is still madly in love with me) I'm here to inform I'm back in the game and setup some rides like i used to where we all had a good time.

Yes i still lift 6 days a week, i slacked pretty hard in the fall but im making up for it.

You and me both, I've been vacant with a drop in every now and then for the last 2 years. I'll host some rides again though every now and then, cause you know it's all about the motorcycles right?
    Me three, I'm trying to be more active and do more rides this year!
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Little View Post
    Me three, I'm trying to be more active and do more rides this year!
    We need to do a "i bought your couch and didn't initially know who you were when i did" ride.

Gold Member

dude I'm HELLA offened at this threads derailments into feelings.

I thought of doing track deal which i could cause i have a truck, but the money and time away when instead it could be with the kid on the bike pushed me to stay street. I glanced at a few things and saw Bueller even had a post deleted....Bueller??? I mean i know hes a knowledgeable asshole but its bueller for christ sake! Oh well, I'm not here for the drama (even though ezzzzzzyyyyyyyyyy is going to want to ride me like a p0ny because i know he is still madly in love with me) I'm here to inform I'm back in the game and setup some rides like i used to where we all had a good time.

Yes i still lift 6 days a week, i slacked pretty hard in the fall but im making up for it.
    This did get me to thinking about how much being a good rider is about confidence. I lost some of mine after some horrible wrecks I witnessed and noticed after that point I was just never the same and my riding skills went down. I think that split second you hesitate can be that one moment where you mess up and kept finding myself thinking dumb things like “if I crash right now I’s probably die”. Yet for years I never thought that and just had the confidence to do what I knew and to trust the bike. I started to ride slower and more cautiously until the day I got hit in my car and realized no matter what I would have done I would have got hit (no defensive skills when you have no time to react).

Anyways just thought it would be a good thing to talk about since discussions are pretty low nowadays. Has anyone else been through this? I think it is a part of getting old and wiser (seeing the consequences of actions) so how have some people dealt with it. Does having kids and a wife make it harder (I know when it was just me I didn’t care so much)?

Glad you got the manual trans Grimmy. I've said it before, I'm a huge fan of ABS on bikes, but the DTC is probably useless on that bike. So you're essentially paying $1000 more, which is huge when it's a $7000 bike to begin with, for just ABS. Honestly I probably would've skipped over it too.

I see a lot of bike crashes, but that part doesn't really affect me. Call it illogical, but not a single one involves a geared up rider. Every single crash I've been on lacks any protective gear. They are also rarely the motorcyclists fault. Like I said, even seeing all of these I still ride (And there's a lot of guys on my department who do).

However, I will not ride in that city, and I try to keep my city riding to a minimum anywhere. The mountain roads and highways are just exponentially safer for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I see a lot of bike crashes, but that part doesn't really affect me. Call it illogical, but not a single one involves a geared up rider. Every single crash I've been on lacks any protective gear. They are also rarely the motorcyclists fault. Like I said, even seeing all of these I still ride (And there's a lot of guys on my department who do).

However, I will not ride in that city, and I try to keep my city riding to a minimum anywhere. The mountain roads and highways are just exponentially safer for us.
    WTF…really man? Yeah, that is so illogical because if you think a helmet is going to win against a 60mph car, then you are sadly mistaken man…plus you say “crash” when hopefully you at least meant “died” because at least there gear has an impact.

Anyways I’ve been through many crashes with full geared riders. Purplefeet (Jessica) and Gene Bazyl were both in full gear when they crashed and died; so was the guy a few years ago with the pregnant gf on back. Jessica was in the “mountain roads” when a cow ended up in road. Don’t fool yourself man that gear is going to protect you from death or a crash!

I am not sure how old you are Aaron, but I feel in about 10 years you may see things differently because when I was younger I thought gear and defensive riding would always save me….it does not!

So helmets help most in impacts at the speeds they were designed for, and continue to help but not as much in impacts that are at different speeds. In practice, motorcycle helmet manufacturers choose the impact speed they will design for based on the speed used in standard helmet tests. Most standard helmet tests use speeds between 4 and 7 m/s (8.9 and 15.7 mph; 14 and 25 km/h).
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Jan 26th, 2016 at 11:48 AM.

It's your brain that keeps you safe. Riding within your skills, the conditions, and choosing smart routes. Good decisions on when you ride, where you ride and who you ride with. I've seen riders with excellent skills make poor decisions that lead to trouble.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I agree 100% I've found city traffic just insane, and I'll only ride thru one to get to where I'm going. I do not commute on the bike unless I absolutely HAVE to, and I always have at least my mesh jacket and pants on, gloves, and helmet, and usually back protector.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post

Well played sir. Very well played.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post

Well played sir. Very well played.
    dont encourage him!

Nice bike Grim! Happy for anyone able and willing to enjoy two wheels

On the danger of traffic, yeah it sucks and every time I see a picture/video or hear stories of us getting hurt or killed it gets in your head. No matter whether it be canyon, urban, or the track it gives (poo-ton and a half sometimes) pause to thoughts of heading out again if even just the commute to work this morning. Life sucks and can still take you down in a Volvo cage with ∞ airbags and crumple zones.

FZRguy-truths: "it's your brain" A fella I perceive as wise on the subject keeps calling that the on-board-engineer. It matters.

No. We are not invincible with gear. That said, maybe it doesn't matter if you're head butting (or some other variance of impact with) an SUV or tree/cliff at Xmph but, the well designed helmet, other CE impact areas, and abrasion resistance of gear shouldn't be dismissed. There are instances of these things saving riders when certain conditions would have otherwise killed them via variety of traumas. The gear is just a mitigation of risk that should make sense.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Biggest thing I learned when I got startled, when you ride scared you endanger yourself more than others. Anticipating or being overly cautious can hurt you, overthinking a turn and panicking will put you in a bad situation you could have avoided. I was at that point and it made riding less enjoyable, I've come to learn you cant ride in fear, best if you are in the city to read the drivers as much as you can, acceptance is key, what we do is dangerous no way around it, but there's lots of things we do we enjoy that are dangerous, what's one more?

Biggest thing I learned when I got startled, when you ride scared you endanger yourself more than others. Anticipating or being overly cautious can hurt you, overthinking a turn and panicking will put you in a bad situation you could have avoided. I was at that point and it made riding less enjoyable, I've come to learn you cant ride in fear, best if you are in the city to read the drivers as much as you can, acceptance is key, what we do is dangerous no way around it, but there's lots of things we do we enjoy that are dangerous, what's one more?
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Okrapp View Post
    No. We are not invincible with gear. That said, maybe it doesn't matter if you're head butting (or some other variance of impact with) an SUV or tree/cliff at Xmph but, the well designed helmet, other CE impact areas, and abrasion resistance of gear shouldn't be dismissed. There are instances of these things saving riders when certain conditions would have otherwise killed them via variety of traumas. The gear is just a mitigation of risk that should make sense.
    Yeah that was all I meant; gear is not always going to save you and people need to know it is just a defense, but it can only do so much…..I agree though and for sure helps a lot. I wrecked on the track and cracked open a helmet and got a bad concussion from that but I am very sure that helmet saved my life. Aaron was just stating that ALL the accidents he has seen has involved people with no gear and I think that could lead newbies to think that if they are geared up then they will always survive a crash (or be less prone to get into one)….unfortunately I have seen it not do that and made me see gear only goes so far

Yeah man, that is kind of where I got; spending more time scared and was taking my focus away and I knew it was going to cause me to wreck one day because of it. Maybe after a break I’ll get back on like Grimm, but on something more the style he got….a VFR sounds nice.

Well I have to say that sportbike riding is probably the BIGGEST risk 90% of us do on a daily bases; unless maybe we got some professional bull fighters on the site The stats for surviving a motorcycle vs a car are no comparison; one you have a giant steel cage with airbags, the other you got nothing but maybe some plastic and leather. So I see what you are saying, but I still feel there is not much bigger risks we can take daily…..at least for a normal guy like me who works in a office.

Here is a good stat on that:
    Motorcycles are less stable and less visible than cars and often have high performance capabilities. When motorcycles crash, their riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, so they're more likely to be injured or killed. The federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2013, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 26 times the number in cars. 1 http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/mo...ts/motorcycles

More info here:
    http://www.iii.org/issue-update/motorcycle-crashes

From that link that suprised me: AGE!!!!

By Age: Older motorcyclists account for more than half of all motorcyclist fatalities. NHTSA data show that in 2013, 55 percent of motorcyclists killed in crashes were age 40 or over, compared with 46 percent in 2004. The number of motorcyclists age 40 and over killed in crashes increased by 39 percent from 2004 to 2013. In contrast, fatalities among all motorcyclists rose 16 percent. NHTSA says that the average age of motorcycle riders killed in crashes was 42 in 2013, compared with 38 in 2004.
    Older riders appear to sustain more serious injuries than younger riders. Researchers from Brown University cited declines in vision and reaction time, along with the larger-sized bikes that older riders favor, which tend to roll over more often, and the increased fragility among older people as the causes. The study used data on riders age 20 and over who needed emergency medical care following motorcycle crashes from 2001 to 2008. The riders were put in three groups by age: 20 to 39, 40 to 59, and 60 and over. The data showed that while injury rates were rising for all age groups, the steepest rise occurred in the 60 and over group, who were two and a half times more likely to have serious injuries than the youngest group. They were three times more likely to be admitted to the hospital. The middle and older groups were also more likely to sustain fractures, dislocations and other injuries, such as brain damage, than the youngest group. The authors published findings in the journal Injury Prevention in February 2013. The study is entitled Injury patterns and severity among motorcyclists treated in US emergency departments, 2001–2008: a comparison of younger and older riders.

Lots of those older riders are those coming back into the sport after 20 plus years layoff, and those with zero moto exp. They tend to buy big cruisers and have poor riding skills, and don't always seek training cuz they had a trail 70 as a kid.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Lots of those older riders are those coming back into the sport after 20 plus years layoff, and those with zero moto exp. They tend to buy big cruisers and have poor riding skills, and don't always seek training cuz they had a trail 70 as a kid.
    Well I still feel a rider can have all the skills and training ever and sh*t happens and none of that matters. Sure it may prevent a wreck, but it won't in all cases; like a driver running a red light. So basically these stats show that there is a 26x more chance of death on a motorcycle than a car, so when people say it is "just another risk" it shows not all risks are equal.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    100% this. What the stats DON'T tell you is that the guys are mostly Hardley guys, riding drunk, with zero riding skills and zero gear.

Here's the basics of gear: Having learned from experience (have the scars to prove it), gear CANNOT protect you....if you're not wearing it. You know, like the helmet mounted on the turnsignal.....or the jacket (or in my case, gloves) you left at home on the hanger. Gear cannot 100% prevent injury all the time, but sometimes it can. And if it can't, it will always lessen it. I'll take those odds any day.
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Thu Jan 28th, 2016 at 12:42 PM.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Well I still feel a rider can have all the skills and training ever and sh*t happens and none of that matters. Sure it may prevent a wreck, but it won't in all cases; like a driver running a red light. So basically these stats show that there is a 26x more chance of death on a motorcycle than a car, so when people say it is "just another risk" it shows not all risks are equal.
    Some crashes are avoidable, or able to be mitigated by skill and luck. Some, sadly, are completely unavoidable for the rider. All we can do is first put ourselves in a position NOT to get into one (avoid certain areas, lanes, time of day, etc.), mitigate the ones we can (swerve, brake, choose to crash in the dirt to avoid a car, etc.), and hope and pray for the best.

On that note, good luck out there guys!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Wecome back Grim..2.0..... now when do the homemade cookies return ?

Jenny is in charge of cookies, grilled cheese and iceberg lettuce. Maybe she'll come back too.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Wecome back Grim..2.0..... now when do the homemade cookies return ?
    yes! Miss those 5 am, fresh cookie rides
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )