Thread: Any Tax people out there? Pennsylvania keeps taking my state taxes

Any Tax people out there? Pennsylvania keeps taking my state taxes

So this is the second year in a row this has happened. Last year, for some reason, I paid state tax to Pennsylvania as according to my W2 in addition to paying state tax to Colorado. Why? No clue, I can't think of a single large-ish branch of my company that is based in PA.

This year, I apparently paid no taxes to Colorado at all and all my W2's say state taxes went to Pennsylvania again!!

This stresses me out because I have to pay for multiple tax returns, and deal with BS. Guy at HR block last year told me we can use the tax paid to Pennsylvania as a credit paid to another state and that gets deducted off my Colorado tax rate and there is nothing you can do about it. That's what we did, it worked out, kinda mad but whatever. This year is different

At this point, the way I see it Colorado has been fucked out of $5k in tax money in the past two years so as a resident I am pissed.

Do I not understand taxes? Is there ANY way to fix this?!

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Any Tax people out there? Pennsylvania keeps taking my state taxes

Have you talked to your employer?
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Gold Member

from my understanding its not about where the company is its about where you live. might want to go talk to a tax dude. maybe have a identity theft issue. someone in PA using your ss#?

Fuckin' government!! I'm so sick of those thieves!! They piss-off our money and cry for more taxes. Those pieces of shit need to learn how to operate properly. Play by the same rules that we have to.

I put in Kim's info and she's getting back around $1,200. I put in mine and I'm getting back $1,500. File a joint return and we owe $3,000. That's government math for ya!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    from my understanding its not about where the company is its about where you live. might want to go talk to a tax dude. maybe have a identity theft issue. someone in PA using your ss#?
    Possibly. And I paid for that identity guard or whatever through HR block last year so if that's the case they should better be on it! I was talking to a co-worker about it and he too paid tax to Ohio even though he has never lived or worked there. Someone at our company probably sucks, but we will see.

I don't hate the government or taxes that much, just so long as the taxes I'm paying are going to our roads, schools, etc. Not some in Pennsylvania.

I too have heard that the way to go is file married but separately.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Every year I go through something similar and makes my taxes all difficult. I always get some “foreign tax” shown and have no idea either as I work in Denver; company is worldwide, but like others said thought it was based where I work. This forces me to file another form. I’ve tried to figure this out too and always get the runaround, yet every year there it is again.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Fuckin' government!! I'm so sick of those thieves!! They piss-off our money and cry for more taxes. Those pieces of shit need to learn how to operate properly. Play by the same rules that we have to.

I put in Kim's info and she's getting back around $1,200. I put in mine and I'm getting back $1,500. File a joint return and we owe $3,000. That's government math for ya!!

I hear ya brother. My tax bill this year is nuts.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Gold Member

if it makes you feel any better I still haven't received my return from last year. whenever I finally get someone on the phone all I get to do is file a complaint. then a few days later I get a letter saying that they are reviewing my file and will get to me. the time frame for this? 45 days. I have five letters now. just want my money.

I'm assuming you work for a company that is withholding taxes? If so, I would suggest talking to the accounting department. They are withholding that money and then sending it to the appropriate place, so they should either know why or be concerned also. Generally your withholding information comes from a W-4 you submitted when hired.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760