Thread: Jamaica, who’s been?? Advice, places to see, places to eat, etc….

Jamaica, who’s been?? Advice, places to see, places to eat, etc….

The wife and I scheduled our yearly trip and decided to go to Jamaica this year; Montego Bay. We love the all-inclusive resorts so we booked at the “Luxury Bahia Principe (all adult side)” resort for a week. Anyone have any advice, info, places to see/eat, inside info, etc to share? I’ve never been to Jamaica so will be new for me so will be cool to see what others have to say....

Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Jamaica, who’s been?? Advice, places to see, places to eat, etc….

Never been, but would be a fun trip. And the notion of no kids sounds amazing....

Curious though. Are you going to the resort and not leaving or going to see Jamaica? Personally, I shy away from the canned experience, and try to stay, eat, visit as local as possible. Just curious, no dispersions.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Been to Ocho Rios, but we've already talked.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Never been, but would be a fun trip. And the notion of no kids sounds amazing....

Curious though. Are you going to the resort and not leaving or going to see Jamaica? Personally, I shy away from the canned experience, and try to stay, eat, visit as local as possible. Just curious, no dispersions.
    We have done the resorts with kids and without and much preferred without kids. I guess it is cool kids can afford to do this (I never was), but they kind of forget that people are there to relax and just go crazy; OMG the pool area is so much better with no kids. Also reading a "nude beach" on adults side....I am down

We normally do the Mexico all inclusive and have learned to stay in the "tourist" areas as those seem to be safe; even partied at 3am in downtown Playa with no issues.

Now I have never been to Jamaica so this is kind of one part we are trying to figure out.....is it safe off the resorts. I'd think it is like Mexico and tourism is a big part so I'd think they keep it safe in those areas. We would never go too "locally" though since it will be me and my wife....but I'd not even do that in New Orleans though. haha

The one thing we do like about the "all inclusive" is we spend nearly no money while we are there; food and alcoholic drinks are included....this one has 6 restaurants, so it is not "buffet" food. Plus they all do a great job with entertainment; day, night, and at the pool. While we do go out on the town, we have been pretty amazed how much there is to do on the resorts; kayaking, snorkeling, disco, games, gym, jetskis, etc. It is one of the few vacations where at the end of the 7 days we don't want to leave...other vacations we do because we blow through money fast...New York was over $100 a day per person for food alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Been to Ocho Rios, but we've already talked.
    Yeah guess it was the Montego Bay side and not Kingston like I thought. I just googled Ocho Rios and not too far from where we are going; same north coast.

I know we talked, but did you do anything awesome while there? How was the safety?
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Mar 8th, 2016 at 09:57 AM.

Asphalt - Worlds' fastest tattoo remover

Quote Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
    That bar looks cool, thanks.

A bit away from where were are staying, but I'd have to see how much a cab ride would cost us.

I've been several times. Both for work and pleasure.

I always stay in the resort if I'm there for pleasure. Jamaica can get real scary real quick if you don't know where you are. For that matter all the islands are like that to a certain extent. The Caribbean is part of my territory so I make several trips a year for several weeks at a time.

As far as Montego Bay and Ocho Rios I stay at Ocho Rios every time. If you are there for vacation you have to go climb the Dunn's River Falls just because all the tourist do. It's a typical tourist destination but it's safe and you get to see some of the vegetation and such without the hassle.

that my .02

Have fun!
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I know we talked, but did you do anything awesome while there? How was the safety?
    No it sucked.

I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Aside from all that: I almost got Barn shot or arrested, we had lunch at Bob Marley's mom's joint, had real jerk and goat, Barn got kidnapped by some Rastafari and we were only there for like 6 hours.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

The Curry Goat might have been the best meal that I had on that entire vacation. Then again by that time of the day I was like a kite, so...

Also, I did not get kidnapped by the Rasta, they just wanted to show me the way way waaay back here..... Mon.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

That looks like much more fun than my last experience outside the US. We decided to go into Puerto Vallarta for a drink and forgot about the ice. The ICE! The last 2 days of our 4 there weren't fun. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Aside from all that: I almost got Barn shot or arrested, we had lunch at Bob Marley's mom's joint, had real jerk and goat, Barn got kidnapped by some Rastafari and we were only there for like 6 hours.
    Some nice pics Josh; looks like fun...getting my pumped Barn and his back flips...crazy guy....didn't we get enough of a scare the time you jumped off that 20ft+ cliff and did a backflip

Similar thing happen to me in Mexico; "just follow me amigo"...next thing I know I was in some maze of a place in a backroom wondering what I got myself into.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    The Curry Goat might have been the best meal that I had on that entire vacation. Then again by that time of the day I was like a kite, so...

Also, I did not get kidnapped by the Rasta, they just wanted to show me the way way waaay back here..... Mon.
    never tried goat...that I can remember....raised on goat cheese and milk, but not sure I ever ate the meat. I hate lamb, but I guess I'd give it a shot.
    I've always been scared of goat's eyes though

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    That looks like much more fun than my last experience outside the US. We decided to go into Puerto Vallarta for a drink and forgot about the ice. The ICE! The last 2 days of our 4 there weren't fun. At all.
    Funny because for Hoopty's wedding we all went into downtown Playa Del Carmen Mexico and like fools ordered frozen Margaritas. Half way through I was like "oh sh*t, the ice". We stopped drinking them and got lucky as we never got sick, so don't worry I've made the same mistake. It is also another reason I tend to eat mainly on the resorts; I never know what dirty water was used to cook with.
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Mar 10th, 2016 at 07:43 AM.

The goat curry was pretty bomb. This is the company I used to book our adventures www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com, Peat and Re-Peat are great guys. I think I can safely saw that we all enjoyed our tour. We did the Blue Hole and White River. IMO Dunns is a major tourist trap and probably not as enjoyable. But I tend to like things more off the beaten path and not crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post

Great videos Joshua!! Now I wanna go. Tubing with tunes, can't beat that...

You shouldn't call me Joshua Mitch, my mother called me Joshua once. ONCE.