Thread: Camping and generator "rules"

Camping and generator "rules"

Looking at camping options, many of the state/federal locations have no electrical, and the ones that do are reserved pretty quick.

For those of you that camp in actual campgrounds that are a bit more RV/large camper friendly, do the campgrounds usually post "no generators" signs or is there a standard rule, generators can run 8AM to 5 PM, or what?

I am going to be swapping batteries since the one that came with the camper sucks, it has no ability to support dry camping. So step one is build out a system that can last several days. However if I need to recharge while at a campground, what are the general policies? This is till we are more comfortable going into the full boon docking locations.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Re: Camping and generator "rules"

I've never come across any general rules regarding generators. Many people switch to multiple 6v batteries like used in golf carts, which are able to power campers for longer durations.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    I've never come across any general rules regarding generators. Many people switch to multiple 6v batteries like used in golf carts, which are able to power campers for longer durations.
    That is exactly what I am intending to do, now just to find the right batteries at the right price. Also need to measure my tray area. I did buy a Honda 2000i just to recharge and not run the camper. Anyone have ideas or experience on what meters exist to display battery power/state? Be nice to know what charge they are at vs just guessing.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Nice generator. I'm looking at the Generac model because it is much less $$. I'll be following this to see what you find for voltage monitoring.

Every single camp ground we've ever been to has rules on generators. If the park has electrical at every site, the rule is typically "no generators". If they have spots that do not have electrical, there's a time frame, usually 8:00a.m. to 9 or 10:00 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    ...now just to find the right batteries at the right price. Anyone have ideas or experience on what meters exist to display battery power/state? Be nice to know what charge they are at vs just guessing.
    6V batteries are stupid expensive. I use two full size 12V deep cycles on a 1,000W inverter. I can run for about 5 hours. 32" flat screen, satellite, lights, ceiling fan, etc. all at the same time. Check camping world for their power centers. Lots of choices. Since you don't have a built-in generator, I understand why you don't have a power center, but I'm surprised your camper doesn't have a monitoring station built-in. Usually there's a volt meter with all your switches.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

The golden rule: Don't be an asshole with your loud ass generator. I've gotten into a few fights with assholes running their genes at inappropriate times or for that matter all day long right next to my camp.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Most places have posted rules. If not you can ask the camp host. I run mine only if I need to charge batteries or if I need to run something in the camper that needs the power. Hopefully you have an inverter generator instead of one that sounds like a jack hammer running. I tend to shut down my generator around 7pm since most people don't like the noise.

Solar panels? We dry camped in Quartsite AZ for a bit last winter and almost every RV trailer had some kind of solar backup in addition to generators; some free standing units others mounted on top of the rig. A proper solar set up will power LED lighting and laptops etc for most people and save the batteries for running the heavy load items like A/C, fridge, microwaves, TV etc.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    The golden rule: Don't be an asshole with your loud ass generator. I've gotten into a few fights with assholes running their genes at inappropriate times or for that matter all day long right next to my camp.
    Loud pipes save lives! Or batteries in this case

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Every single camp ground we've ever been to has rules on generators. If the park has electrical at every site, the rule is typically "no generators". If they have spots that do not have electrical, there's a time frame, usually 8:00a.m. to 9 or 10:00 p.m.
    Sorry, I didn't say that quite right. What I meant was the most campgrounds have rules but they are likely all different. I just checked Cherry Creek and they are allowed from 6:00am to 10:00pm; the same hours as music. I haven't camped in spots without power. I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone using one right beside me. I intend to buy one, so I guess I'll have to be OK with it.

LOL @Barn! And that's a Honda... one of the quieter ones.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Every single camp ground we've ever been to has rules on generators. .......I understand why you don't have a power center, but I'm surprised your camper doesn't have a monitoring station built-in. Usually there's a volt meter with all your switches.
    kim-n-dean - So I had to double check. You are correct, it does has a basic monitoring station. I simply didn't see the battery button to activate that as what is displayed. I have literally stepped inside the camped 4 times so far. so good call!

Yep, no onboard genie, but I got a Honda 2000i from the dealership. It was $850, so solid price compared to every other price I found. I figured that into the basic cost of the purchase, so it was a planned cost. And they ran it cause I hadn't heard a honda in person, definitely quiet! I also planned on upgrading the batteries (esp after it left me in the cold). So got a set of 6V batteries today. Not too bad, $155 each.

asp, yes, solar panels are part of the plan, but thats a bit down the road. Haven't had it a week yet.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    ... A proper solar set up will power LED lighting and laptops etc for most people and save the batteries for running the heavy load items like A/C, fridge, microwaves, TV etc.
    I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never seen a normal, every day camper that can run the A/C or microwave off of the batteries. It would take a huge bank of batteries and a pretty impressive inverter to power those. Even our two-slice toaster will kill the batteries in about a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    ... but I got a Honda 2000i from the dealership....
    Those Honda's are awesome!! A friend fired his up in his office to show me. I could hear his printer/copier over it. Amazing!! Our fifth-wheel has an Onan 4000 and it claims to be "after hours legal" but I'm not sure I buy that. It's not obnoxious, but you can definitely hear it. Can't wait for the first trip this year!!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Can't wait for the first trip this year!!!
    Ditto! Doing our first shake down trip this weekend at a KOA down here.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never seen a normal, every day camper that can run the A/C or microwave off of the batteries. It would take a huge bank of batteries and a pretty impressive inverter to power those. Even our two-slice toaster will kill the batteries in about a minute.
    Yeah, my bad. Wasn't completely thinking there.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Ditto! Doing our first shake down trip this weekend at a KOA down here.
    Same. This weekend couple projects and loading it up. Next weekend going to go to Mueller State Park for the first trip sorting, shakedown, etc.