Thread: UFC Fans... Jordan Breens dissects Dana White like a boss.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

UFC Fans... Jordan Breens dissects Dana White like a boss.

A really good "opinion" read from an MMA writer...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...romoter-101745
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Re: UFC Fans... Jordan Breens dissects Dana White like a boss.

Interesting.

Still think White was a big fan who knew a couple people and managed to slip into a great job he helped identify. IMO he has done pretty well, but he is a fan whose love for the sport has been his success and not necessarily his actual ability. But I confess, I don't follow much of the chatter outside of fights. Not sure how to say that without sounding critical of DW.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Without a doubt he is owed a great debt and place in the history of MMAs development and mainstream adoption. The longer he's been in the game though, the more detached he's become from the love and appreciation of martial arts and the practitioners, and the more attached he's become to his own views of the business and his place in the business.

For him to even bring up GSP as a "take" on the McGregor situation is a sign of his lack of creativity and unbefitting the "President" of a major sports league. If he continues in his free-speaking ways, he'll actually, perhaps gradually, become a liability to the sport. Imagine an NFL commish someday badmouthing a retired player who is so beloved as - say for instance - Peyton Manning or Walter Payton, or any other top-tier "legend" in response to a current day situation? It would never happen.

Anyway.... Dana White's management and the UFC in general, is still very young in its place in sport; it'll continue to evolve and hopefully become even better than what we know now.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Mon Mar 14th, 2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Peyton, not Payton...
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

So I see that as
    1) he simply isn't as polished of a person as Goodall, Selig, etc. Just a meathead from the NE. His demeanor definitely fit with the growing company. Being edgy and "in your face" certainly fit in the beginning. I think that is the nature of his background and not being a tongue - biting politician type. I will confess, I really like someone who just tells it like they see it, very refreshing in a the day of making everyone feel better.
    2) does he move aside and let someone else take over as the organization becomes bigger? Or does he modify his approach (and personality) to help the UFC get to the next level)?
    3) Any idea on how much of the purchasing the competition was his idea vs someone else? That has really helped ensure UFC is the big boy in the MMA world. Which IMO was good but has led to the current attitude "we can do what we want".
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I agree with the first comment posted on that article: “Dana has done a lot of good for the UFC over the years, but I believe it is just about time for him to step aside. I'm sure he will have a cushy executive position still, but the face of the company needs to be a bit more professional if the UFC wants to progress further.”

Personally, I used to big a big Dana White fan, but in the last few years I have seen him transitioning from caring for his fighters to caring more about the business and money and this has made me not appreciate the guy any longer. The “unprofessionalism” and down right “vindictive” actions by Dana White show he needs to step aside and let a real sport executive step up if UFC is ever going to be taken seriously like an organization like NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. Dana’s antics just scream of WWE and their owner “Vince McMann”….so is UFC a “sport entertainment” like WWE or is it a real sport like the others: I feel until Dana White is taken out or at least changes how he acts it will never get passed this barrier, because I agree with Barn and I could not imagine a “President” bad mouthing someone like Peyton in the same way that Dana has done this to numerous fighters: Nick Diaz, Randy Coutre, Brendan Schaub, Tito Ortiz, Cody McKenzie, Nate Quarry, Cung Lee, Benson Henderson…..the list goes on and on, and when that many “employees” complain, it surely shows something is wrong.

The other part that bothers me is Dana White is not a fighter and never was, but talks like he understands what they go through. If it were up to him EVERY fight would be a “rock-em-sock-em” war with little concern for the damage this it is doing to the fighter. Look at Diego Sanchez….always has “wars” but you can hear in interviews the guy is getting “punchy” and for sure has taken some brain damage. If a fighter tries to avoid this and be more “defensive”, then Dana White bashes them and punishes them (hence: Jon Fitch) because they are “boring”. Yet if a fighter loses three matches in a row, they can be cut (contract stipulation).

Dana White Annual Salary: $15-$20 Million

vs

Average UFC fighters annual salary: $34K-$38K
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Mar 15th, 2016 at 09:58 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

This is what happens if you do not agree with UFC and state a "personal" opinion:

Brendan Schaub: I've been banned from UFC programming because I won't fall in line like the rest

"If you enjoy B. Schaub on 'UFC Now' and some of the 'UFC Tonight' shows, it has come to my attention that ‘Big Brown,' and these aren't my words, 'is too controversial and doesn't fall in line like the rest.' I guess I am not supportive of certain issues that link up with UFC. So, you won't see ‘Big Brown' on ‘UFC Now' anymore. I have been (banned). I can't do it, man. I cannot get in line. People ask me, 'Aren't you worried you're going to burn bridges?' Listen, I'm just not that guy. In a line of horses, I'm a zebra. I'm not doing it man. Don't get it twisted, there is no show on UFC Fight Pass bigger than 'Fighter and the Kid.' So you can take your show and kick rocks."
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!