Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft. Worth officer pepper spraying motorcyclist... thoughts?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Ft. Worth officer pepper spraying motorcyclist... thoughts?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/03/15/f...r-spray-video/

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/03/15/north-texas-cop-outstanding-until-he-pulled-out-the-pepper-spray/

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The Fort Worth Police Department said that it has removed an officer from uniformed patrol and launched an administrative investigation after receiving a video that appears to show him using pepper spray on a group of bikers.
    “He definitely put a lot of lives at risk,” said Brittany Botello, the driver of a red pickup truck seen parked in front of the officer in the video. Botello was driving alongside the bikers as part of the same group. Her passengers were shooting video of the bikers with their cell phones. She said that the officer, identified by the department only as six-year veteran Officer W. Figueroa, had pulled her over. Figueroa had yet to approach her truck, Botello recalled, when she and her passengers suddenly began coughing. “I thought it was sand up off the bikes that was making everyone choke and stuff, but it ended up being the mace,” she said.
    Marcus Hernandez said that he was sitting in the bed of the truck when he saw a cloud of the spray drifting toward him. “I got asthma, so I couldn’t breathe. It was pretty bad,” Hernandez explained. “I said, ‘Why you’d spray us?’ and he said, ‘Because I felt the bikes were too close to my vehicle.'”
    Botello said that the officer then opened her passenger door and grabbed her friend’s cell phone, claiming that it was evidence in the case. “He snatched her phone without even asking for it. That’s when he started demanding everybody else’s,” she said.Other drivers reported seeing the riders doing stunts, speeding and taking over the road, as captured on a second YouTube video. That video even shows the red pickup truck with its passengers standing up in the bed of the truck as it drives down the highway.One woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said that she could see the pickup truck’s passengers crawling through the back window, moving between the cab and the bed, as they traveled down the highway. Botello disputes that account, saying that it was a well-organized ride. “I wouldn’t be out there if I thought it was dangerous,” she said. “I’m six months pregnant, so that wouldn’t work.” Botello was ticketed for not having a driver’s license. But she said that the only real danger came from the officer’s actions. “I think he needs to be fired,” she said.Fort Worth police said that they have not received any formal complaint, but “proactively began an investigation upon receipt of the video.” Figueroa has been placed on administrative duty.

Last edited by Sully; Tue Mar 15th, 2016 at 04:54 PM.
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Re: Ft. Worth officer pepper spraying motorcyclist... thoughts?

My .02

It seems like the officer in this case took a little too harsh of an action. Will he or does he deserve to get fired? Thankfully I don't have to make that decision.

I will say if he had taken that action against me and the people I ride with I would want some kind of corrective action taken.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

April Fool's day, the only day when people scrutinize news reports as if they aren't wholly and completely fair, truthful, and accurate.

We don't know everything that happened. We have the bikers saying they did not, and would never, do anything wrong. We have a few private citizens reporting Reckless Driving from a gang of motorcyclists and safety violations from their chase car. We have not heard anything from the Officer or his representatives, and we probably won't. But remember, he has an account of what happened too. So none of us can say whether his actions were appropriate and lawful or not, and thus can't say what should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    April Fool's day, the only day when people scrutinize news reports as if they aren't wholly and completely fair, truthful, and accurate.

We don't know everything that happened. We have the bikers saying they did not, and would never, do anything wrong. We have a few private citizens reporting Reckless Driving from a gang of motorcyclists and safety violations from their chase car. We have not heard anything from the Officer or his representatives, and we probably won't. But remember, he has an account of what happened too. So none of us can say whether his actions were appropriate and lawful or not, and thus can't say what should happen.
    \

I would normally agree, but was going to say; except the video is pretty damning and paste the link to it, but it seems it's been taken down from Youtube (at least I couldn't find it). I saw it yesterday and it shows the officer getting out of his car with spray in hand and blasting people as they ride by. They were giving him what appeared to be a wide berth and not traveling at excessive speed. He wasn't out of his car, then determining the riders were "too close", then grabbing the spray.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

I saw the video. What it doesn't show is the minutes leading up to that, or the minutes following. If the motorcycle gang was fleeing a murder scene where they shot 4 innocent people, a little bit of OC spray would be absolutely justified.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I don't know anything about the story, but he didn't shoot and kill anybody, did he? He should practically get a promotion.

#goodcop
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

How can you say anything when you don't know anything about the story?

The circumstances dictate the appropriateness of the Officer's response. Since none of us know the circumstances, this thread is simply one blind man telling a group of blind men what his opinion of sunsets is.

I clearly see a video that shows an officer at the side of the road shooting pepper spray at passing by motorists….what is so hard to understand here; it could have been dealt with better (over and over we go through this). Again cops feel they can use ANY force they want on unarmed citizens….not sure if they are just lazy, idiots, vindictive, or are really that scared (which they should find another career). I see a people on here (well one person….big surprise who that is) justifies that it is ok to shoot pepper spray at motorists; this is just part of the problem…..no common sense. What was the officer trying to prove? Would that make people pull over….no, most likely it could have caused a huge accident (not even sure how slippery that stuff is on asphalt much less the harm it was made for). I am not saying that the motorcyclists were not in the wrong as the video shows them stunting on a road, but why should a entire club be jeopardized when it may have been one or two guys stunting in that club (has happened to me numerous times on CSC rides; people stunt, but I do not, but should I then be responsible for their actions!). The cop should have done what is proper and pull over the people committing a crime and ticketed them like they deserved....they did not deserve to be pepper sprayed...much less while driving.

And when did stunting become a reason to use “lethal force”…..yes it is lethal when it could have caused a huge wreck!

Have cops forgot the old saying “two wrong don’t make a right”….or what about “lead by example”.

The cop knew what he did was wrong and that is why he tried to confiscate the videos that showed the evidence…..doesn’t take a genius to understand he wanted to get rid of that video….
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

You saw a 20 second video clip, a poor quality one at that, and read a news article, and you know for a fact that the Officer was not justified. You don't even know what the Officer did.

You are putting those words in my mouth, because I never said what he supposedly did was appropriate. I gave a condition in which it could be, that's all. I'm just asking we withhold judgement until we know some facts, and not rumor.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

How can you say anything when you don't know anything about the story?
    Well I guess if I have to spell it out... It was a bit of an off-hand, satirical "take" on the general trend we've all seen from various outlets, regarding the widespread trend (nay, epidemic) of cops using excessive force on the public, if not just outright murdering people.

I realize that sarcasm and irony doesn't translate its nuance perfectly in the written form, but hopefully that clears it up for you, how I can say what I said.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

You saw a 20 second video clip, a poor quality one at that, and read a news article, and you know for a fact that the Officer was not justified. You don't even know what the Officer did.

You are putting those words in my mouth, because I never said what he supposedly did was appropriate. I gave a condition in which it could be, that's all. I'm just asking we withhold judgement until we know some facts, and not rumor.
    I’d really like to hear how you can justify shooting pepper spray for a traffic violation?

The talk about “we don’t know the circumstances” is lame because the cop knew and it clearly was that he got a call about a traffic violation and then felt the motorcycles were too close to his car (yet you can clearly see they were within the lane lines though).

Withhold judgement till we know facts????? Wtf....this is a forum where it is based off of assumptions, judgement, and opinions.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Mar 16th, 2016 at 01:08 PM.

Who said I justified it? How do you know it was just a traffic violation?

Who said I justified it? How do you know it was just a traffic violation?
    I read the article and watched the videos where it was stated....even eye witness was interviewed talking about the guy they saw climbing in and out of cab on highway. The article states the cop was put on leave by his dept, obviously another sign this may have not been justified. So yeah, I used some common sense...not sure where your logic went to a murder getaway (much less plausible). If anything this could have caused a accident and put innocent drivers at risk...again could have been handled better

You trying to say that a cop doesn't get a "call" to respond to and knows what they are facing? This cop knew it was for a traffic violation unless he just randomly decided to do that and risk killing people.

You keep going on "we don't know the facts", but then that goes right along with "innocent till prove guilty", so no cop should risk causing a accident like that; pull the person(s) over and ticket them....heck arrest them if justified, but don't try to kill the person or people around them!

Sorry buddy, but actions speak louder than words and these videos are just showing more and more people how poorly some cops handle a situation!
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Mar 16th, 2016 at 02:14 PM.

Ohh you read a news article. Good, you're really educated now.

Ohh you read a news article. Good, you're really educated now.
    You asked a question and I answer it...duh

Thanks I am educated....enough to not risk my life for a job that pays $45K a year. Not bashing good cops, but anyone that thinks that is a smart move doesn't get they could be killed on any day of the job....I truly hope the good cops that do this do it for the benefit of society (like a school teacher). I've met those type of cops and I respect and appreciate what they do, but cops like in this video I have little respect for.

You haven't seen how bad politics, city administration, and an agency can make a good cop look just to get what they want.

You haven't seen how bad politics, city administration, and an agency can make a good cop look just to get what they want.
    It's a video! I can see for myself...the days of excuses are over now that so many people have access to a recording device.

I've known two cops on this board and both were good guys. I never cared for cops as a kid and thought most were corrupt because that is the past I dealt with. Sparker was a cop on this board and I truly can say hanging out with him showed me that I was wrong and there are good cops who I do respect. At the same time there are bad cops and I am happy they are being caught.

IMO, shooting pepper spray like he did was not justifiable and only action was to cause the drivers to wreck. If he would have pulled the drivers doing the crime over and dealt with them with a ticket or arrest, I'd be happy with that outcome....I do not justify people doing stunts on a public road, but to try to kill people over it is not right.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Mar 16th, 2016 at 02:58 PM.

You can't tell in the video if he sprayed them or not, but I'll agree he pointed it at them. I've pointed an OC can at hundreds of people, only sprayed maybe 3.

What we don't know is why he did it. By the 20 second video clip, it is illegal and outside policy for sure, and I hope the cop loses his badge.

But having been on the other side of things, I'm going to withhold judgement until the facts are known, because bits and pieces can be arranged to show any number of things. Maybe he didn't actually spray, just pointed it, and maybe he had a reason to. We don't know.

You can't tell in the video if he sprayed them or not, but I'll agree he pointed it at them. I've pointed an OC can at hundreds of people, only sprayed maybe 3.

What we don't know is why he did it. By the 20 second video clip, it is illegal and outside policy for sure, and I hope the cop loses his badge.

But having been on the other side of things, I'm going to withhold judgement until the facts are known, because bits and pieces can be arranged to show any number of things. Maybe he didn't actually spray, just pointed it, and maybe he had a reason to. We don't know.
    I can respect that man....mostly just trying to spark a conversation, so I can understand where you are coming from. I'll never say a cops job is easy and I am sure they deal with a lot of crap.

I really do respect what officers do and it does suck a few bad ones can ruin the reputation of the good ones. Hopefully with more bad cops being found, it will force them to reconsider how they act.

And honestly it is just human nature to like drama....I am sure everyday there are many cops that do good things that never get any attention.....because crappy humans are drawn to drama.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Mar 16th, 2016 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks for that, I respect you for that. I hate bad cops as much as anyone else, if not more. But I do give them the benefit of the doubt whenever I hear a story like this.

Years ago we were downtown by Lodos bar on our motorcycles waiting at the stop light. A huge brawl broke out in the middle of the street. Probably like 15 guys all duking it out. All the sudden two cops break into the picture and start macing everyone, there was huge cloud of mace around these guys. It totally did what it was intended to do except the cops then started forcing us to go through the intersection and the cloud. A few guys hesitated and I distinctly remember the cop telling him he was next if he didnt move.

Sure as shit we all went through it. I held my breath and closed my eyes and when I opened them I remember watching two of the bikes go down ahead of me. Pretty shitty situation to say the least. There was a huge argument between our group and the cops but at the end of the day, the cops gave no shits about the outcome.

Cool story brah, I know....
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

The stuff is no joke; never been sprayed directly, but have been in the vicinity three times and was horrible. My eyes, nose, mouth burned for hours, so I couldn’t imagine trying to ride through that stuff; especially if it went inside your helmet and made it worse.

I also have asthma, so I do think it may effect that worse. One time I was at an indoor concert and a brawl broke out and they tear gassed the entire crowd and it seemed to affect me more than others; I was coughing and struggling to breathe even though I ran outside and was in fresh air.

You guys are hanging out in the wrong places.

I've never seen any of this stuff in use or been anywhere close to where it was used. I guess I'm just old and boring.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

OC spray is very potent, and seriously effective. Spraying it at anybody who is operating a motor vehicle should be reserved for serious force scenarios, dare I say near lethal force. If that cop actually sprayed those guys, they better be fleeing the scene of a serious felony, because short of that I find it seriously inappropriate.

Of course I've had direct shots, a couple times, and it is hell, but I can work through it. Just hope you're not fighting me when I am, because there's almost no such thing as excessive force when the cop has been exposed to OC.