Thread: EPA Proposes Legislation To Ban Aftermarket Exhausts

EPA Proposes Legislation To Ban Aftermarket Exhausts

Not certain how serious this is but maybe worth looking at: http://www.cycleworld.com/2016/03/23...rket-exhausts/

Not trying to be in any hydrocarbons issues here. But, if something were forced by powers that be for road going vehicles, it would suck for businesses that provide these things and those of us that enjoy bikes outside of normal jurisdiction.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Re: EPA Proposes Legislation To Ban Aftermarket Exhausts

These guys are idiots, still going at this crap? The Congress already turned them down on their initial proposal and they're still at it... They also don't realize that this is also a safety issue for us, cagers can barely see us and sometimes exhaust tones get us noticed in traffic. EPA fucking sucks, how about limiting factories and all other shit instead, oh no wait I forgot they're being paid off by big businesses to leave them the fuck alone
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    These guys are idiots, still going at this crap? The Congress already turned them down on their initial proposal and they're still at it... They also don't realize that this is also a safety issue for us, cagers can barely see us and sometimes exhaust tones get us noticed in traffic. EPA fucking sucks, how about limiting factories and all other shit instead, oh no wait I forgot they're being paid off by big businesses to leave them the fuck alone
    lol.. loud pipes save lives. lol.

They've saved my ass on the Ducati few times. Some cagers hear the bike and acknowledge that I'm coming so at least some pay attention thankfully
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Gold Member

Nice article.

I think it hits on some good points.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Yep, I'm a dumbass cause people hear me coming I guess. Next I'll ditch the gear and get me some sandals
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yep, I'm a dumbass cause people hear me coming I guess. Next I'll ditch the gear and get me some sandals
    Completely different subject. I guess if you never fall off you will be OK. Probably be a lot more comfortable. Just remember to wear sun screen
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Gold Member

don't be so sensitive. there is actually a lot of good points in there if you read it with an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    don't be so sensitive. there is actually a lot of good points in there if you read it with an open mind.

Usually lurk and enjoy the good arguments but gotta say my piece on this one...the article you posted while having good points leaves out another good point...The speed of sound here in Colorado is approx 747 mph depending on temp and air density even while being pointed behind us while riding, it travels with you too and can be heard ahead of you. Wearing hi viz, better lights and an upgraded horn are all good investments as well. Also while newer cars do have better sound insulation I've yet to see a car that completely blocks all sound. So while loud pipes aren't the "best" or only answer, they cant be discounted either.
    05 SV 650-New baby
    01 Buell Blast-1st bike

Yes, the article does have good points, never said it didn't and I also said that it helped sometimes, not always just like the author also stated. Sucks some hog riders and also some sport bike riders use it for the wrong kind of attention. The bike I have now is the only bike I've had with an aftermarket exhaust, all others have been bone stock in that sense, you notice the difference in certain instances when people hear the sound, kind of like when a V8 is around or a sweet I6 turbo or hell even a boxer from a Subaru. A little extra sound does help, can't deny that.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dasaxman6 View Post
    Usually lurk and enjoy the good arguments but gotta say my piece on this one...the article you posted while having good points leaves out another good point...The speed of sound here in Colorado is approx 747 mph depending on temp and air density even while being pointed behind us while riding, it travels with you too and can be heard ahead of you. Wearing hi viz, better lights and an upgraded horn are all good investments as well. Also while newer cars do have better sound insulation I've yet to see a car that completely blocks all sound. So while loud pipes aren't the "best" or only answer, they cant be discounted either.
    https://youtu.be/ACeUO4ufx2I

I can say on more that just one occasion that sport bike can easily be passing long before I have ever heard them. its that oh shit moment where did that guy come from bit it happens.

btw I used to ride a 954 with loud pipes. just do an experiment. see much louder a friends bike is while riding in front of him vs behind him.

You guys do realize that aftermarket exhausts are already illegal, like, all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    You guys do realize that aftermarket exhausts are already illegal, like, all of them?
    I know you can be ticketed in certain area's due to noise ordinances but other than those areas I have never seen proof or heard of anyone being cited for an aftermarket exhaust. As long as the exhaust system has the appropriate pieces such as oxygen sensors and catalytic converters and it can pass emissions testing I'm not sure any of that is going to hold up.

Good points for discussion for sure.

Besides that who is policing the law/ordinance?
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

You will struggle to find any cop who will write this section unless your exhaust is obviously and obnoxiously loud.

42-4-225. Mufflers - prevention of noise

(1) Every motor vehicle subject to registration and operated on a highway shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-off, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section.

This is comical because some would argue that some of the new sportbikes are loud with the original mufflers. I know there are a few manufacturers making exhaust for the Ducati's that are less loud than the original. Most have some kind of add on decibel killer to help with the noise. The Ducati and the Ape have a hard time at some tracks due to the same issue. So in this case an officer would have a hard time writing the ticket but also a harder time trying to enforce the ticket on a bike that is stock. I will also add that these are unique cases and most of the time I would probably agree if the ticket was written to someone with an aftermarket exhaust that was over the top loud.

It just seems these laws are all very subjective.

I also don't think that an exhaust that rattle's the fillings in your teeth is any help with safety or getting noticed in an effort to prevent accidents. So in other words these super loud exhaust seem unnecessary in any road circumstance.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I've definitely heard bikes approaching on the freeway so I don't buy the whole people don't actually hear you coming argument. And if I'm on the freeway and I can hear their engines under load at high RPM's I go ahead and assume they're cutting through lanes and approaching at a high rate of speed which is good to know because then I know to not go switching lanes of traffic until the bikes pass because I also like to drive my cars fast sometimes.... I'd hate to change lanes and run into/have a bike run into me because they were switching to the same lane when a vehicle blocked our ability to see each other. It definitely helps. I understand that people hate hearing "loud pipes save lives" (and loud exhaust in general) but how many of us like being told we need to be wearing full gear all the time? "That's like, your opinion, man" To each their own
    I feel much more comfortable when I'm riding with my gf and I'm on my R6 so people can hear us. I get really nervous when she takes her bike to work on her own and is on I25 on that little 250cc bike that is virtually silent to cars. Ideally if you have a loud bike it's not your daily so maybe have a stock bike as well, or at least just be respectful when taking it out (avoid night riding, speeding/excessive revving around residential/populated areas...)

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Well, I'm planning on buying a Zero. Reckon I'll use the horn...a lot.
    John
    KTM Duke 690