Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concussion- The Movie and Real Life

Re: Concussion- The Movie and Real Life

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    that one was the polarise sportsman 500. my toy is a Honda trx 450r.
    Nice toys man! One day I'll pull the trigger and get one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I read this morning there is a test that can be done on a living patient within 7 days of the concussion. The fluid surrounding the brain releases a protein when it is damaged that is detectable in the blood stream.

So a blood test can start the process of identification.

This is a pretty interesting topic but I do agree with Townie in that I have no sympathy for a guy who made millions and knew the dangers but decided to proceed. I also agree that this like a lot of sicknesses/illnesses get used as crutches when things go bad. Especially when money becomes part of the conversation.
    Found it, thanks for that info Gramps https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0328114638.htm

So it appears it can detect concussions which is great, but still cannot detect CTE in a living person, but guess it is a start

From article:
    It's estimated nearly a quarter of a million children are treated in hospitals each year for concussions from playing sports, an average of nearly 700 a day. Almost all concussions in children are diagnosed only by symptoms, which are either observed, like vomiting or loss of balance, or symptoms reported by the child, like blurred vision or headaches. Neither scenario gives doctors and objective way to determine the severity of the injury.

Wow, I didn’t think the stat was that high as an average of 700 kids get concussions a day….that is a lot

From article:
    The biomarker Papa analyzed is known as a glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP). These proteins are found in glial cells, which surround neurons in the brain, and when an injury occurs, the GFAP are released. What makes them unique is that they pass the blood-brain barrier and enter the bloodstream, making them easy to detect with this particular test.

This sounds very similar to what Dr. Omalu discovered; injury to brain release a toxin. Appears this toxin is released and the brain tries to fight it off, which eventually leads to people going crazy.

From article:
    When cross-checked with scans, the blood test was able to detect mild to moderate traumatic brain lesions with up to 97 percent accuracy in patients 18 years and older. The blood test also indicated which patients were in need of life-saving neurosurgery. This suggests that the blood test could be used by clinicians for up to a week after injury to detect brain injury. This is important because many patients with concussion may not seek medical attention for days after injury.

This is awesome that it also indicates if neurosurgery is needed because this is normally how people die from concussions; they ignore the symptoms and think they will be ok and by then it is too late.

From article:
    The blood test could also dramatically cut down on the need for computerized tomography (CT) scans. Currently, CT scans are the most precise way to diagnose brain lesions, but are expensive and are associated with radiation exposure.

And save money too as an average CT scan is about $1200+ and a blood test is less than a hundred. Most physicians don’t want to spend the money to do a CT scan, so this could dramatically improve detection

I’d really like to see this go into effect and used in sports. Currently some sports like UFC will suspend a person for 6 months (training or fighting) and it would be interesting to see if the NFL could do that too. Obviously this could take a player out for an entire season, so I doubt they would ever got for it, but it would be the smart thing to do. Although like Townie and Gramps said, if players are aware of this and continue to choose to play, I do not feel bad for them....like the boxers who go in knowing they will probably be "punch drunk" one day, but still fight.

So anyone want to share some concussions stories?

I got a few…one I saw double for 2 days, another shattered my new helmet and ruined my track day (but saved my life), another I wrecked on the first run at Keystone but chose to continue to snowboard the rest of day with the concussion (probably not smart now that I think back on it).
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Gold Member

Rollerblade soccer in my friends garage when I was in the fifth grade. kicked the ball fell backwards and hit my head on a old metal tool box hard enough to leave a dent.

knocked me clean out. had a creepy dream about flying above my old town with all my friends waving at. woke up and had no hearing for a few seconds.

Those wild dreams are weird….like an instant deep sleep dream

First time was my own fault and my ego. Us trailer park kids (yes ghetto) always met up to do boxing matches in our front yard. I did very well because I was fast, but nobody wanted to box the biggest kid in our neighbor so dumb me was like “I’ll do it”; he had probably 100lbs over me and I was maybe 135lbs. I got in there and landed like 5 quick punches and next thing I knew I woke up on the ground with everyone looking up at me. I had no idea what happened, but was told that I flew like a foot in the air from uppercut and was out for like a minute.

Worst by far was after I got in a fair fight with a guy and he lost and his buddy pulled out a crowbar and hit me over the head multiple times from behind…I was out on first hit and my cousin had to drag me out as we both got beat. That time my head cracked open and had to get it stapled back shut. Saw double for like two days and felt “dumb” for like a month. If anything this is the one that did damage L

Gold Member

oh man I love those blind sides with objects. hearing the ping and seeing that bright flash of light. first one I got jumped by a rival gang and hit with a sobe bottle. the old thick glass ones. thats was fun.

took a 2x4 to the face once trying to be a badass. went to say what you going to do with that. got out what you and bam got nailed right in the face. lol

oh man I love those blind sides with objects. hearing the ping and seeing that bright flash of light. first one I got jumped by a rival gang and hit with a sobe bottle. the old thick glass ones. thats was fun.

took a 2x4 to the face once trying to be a badass. went to say what you going to do with that. got out what you and bam got nailed right in the face. lol
    People who have never been hit like this always trip out when I tell them about the “bright flash of light” and the “ring” that you see in cartoons; as if I am making this up. In some of the fights I’ve been in I only knew I got hit by those flashes of light because the adrenaline kicks in and I never really felt much, but that always told me I got hit.

Many people don’t realize that one of the hardest things to do is be able to continue to fight after takin hits to the head; much harder than it seems. For me everything gets fuzzy and almost like slow motion. I’ve seen some of the toughest guys get hit and not be able to handle it and get whooped…..Broc Lesnar in UFC was a guy like this; huge, but guy could not take getting hit…went back to fake WWE. Then you got guys like Nate Diaz that get better the more they are hit…those are the scary ones

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    People who have never been hit like this always trip out when I tell them about the “bright flash of light” and the “ring” that you see in cartoons; as if I am making this up. In some of the fights I’ve been in I only knew I got hit by those flashes of light because the adrenaline kicks in and I never really felt much, but that always told me I got hit.

Many people don’t realize that one of the hardest things to do is be able to continue to fight after takin hits to the head; much harder than it seems. For me everything gets fuzzy and almost like slow motion. I’ve seen some of the toughest guys get hit and not be able to handle it and get whooped…..Broc Lesnar in UFC was a guy like this; huge, but guy could not take getting hit…went back to fake WWE. Then you got guys like Nate Diaz that get better the more they are hit…those are the scary ones
    my best friend Nate is probably the scariest guy I know. last time he got jumped he put three guys in the hospital and walked away with a bloody nose.

a bush brawl one time led to a guy getting his eye knocked out of his head. that was just fucked up!

I wonder if banging my head against the wall every day at work will cause CTE down the road....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I wonder if banging my head against the wall every day at work will cause CTE down the road....
    don't forget to file a lawsuit against yourself. or maybe Honda. lol

again you are trying to argue something I have already agreed with.

I AM NOT SAYING CTE ISNT REAL.

I just don't agree with allowing people's actions to be ignored because they want to blame it on something besides their own actions.

if a man raped a child because a brain tumor gave him pedaphile tendencies I would feel the same way.
    Yeah I don’t think anyone is getting off a crime using a CTE defense…..they should definitely go to prison as they are a threat to society and cannot be trusted or cured. Although there is a chance these people did go crazy because of CTE. I just feel the NFL covered this up for years and this is why they are being sued. Plus CTE is not found till after death so I assume it is the families of these people that are suing a majority of the time.

Damn bro...you ok?

Whatever, I respected the “motorcycle talk” babies, until I see they post nearly nothing and we end up with a boring forum with no action; plus most motorcycle talk has been posted before so there is not much to talk about. People give you crap, but honestly at least you participate and that brings 10X more value to a site than a lurker who never posts.
    Just had an NHL player get his suspension for viscous cross check on a referee reduced from 20 games to 10 because of a concussion defense. Happened in the last month, look it up.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Just had an NHL player get his suspension for viscous cross check on a referee reduced from 20 games to 10 because of a concussion defense. Happened in the last month, look it up.
    https://youtu.be/yaC5q_pK86c

oh man that whole thing had me through the roof. you can tell he was just pissed because the hit on him wasn't called.

kind of my point. guys are being able to argue this bullshit and are getting let off the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Yeah didn't know that. Although that was for a concussion and I was meaning CTE; and a real crime like killing your entire family like we have seen with CTE. Not that I agree with what he did, but I am sure it is because you can see him get hit and his head slam the glass and then got some doctor to say he was hit so hard his mind was rattled. Still BS, but I hope nobody ever gets off for something like murder because of CTE.....although we all have heard of "temporary insanity" and seen it work.

Gold Member

Yeah didn't know that. Although that was for a concussion and I was meaning CTE; and a real crime like killing your entire family like we have seen with CTE. Not that I agree with what he did, but I am sure it is because you can see him get hit and his head slam the glass and then got some doctor to say he was hit so hard his mind was rattled. Still BS, but I hope nobody ever gets off for something like murder because of CTE.....although we all have heard of "temporary insanity" and seen it work.
    or too rich to know better.

or too rich to know better.
    True....we all know money does wonders in these situations. Or do you mean this new BS "sickness" they are calling Affluenza. Now talk about some bullsh*t to try to get away with things

Gold Member

True....we all know money does wonders in these situations. Or do you mean this new BS "sickness" they are calling Affluenza. Now talk about some bullsh*t to try to get away with things
    just another example of how people are using bullshit reasons to not be held accountable to their actions. I mean if a kid can get off of a murder charge excuse me four murder charges think what we will let our idols get off with.

CTE is just another excuse for people to use. the real victims will be drown out. kind of like medical marijuana.

just another example of how people are using bullshit reasons to not be held accountable to their actions. I mean if a kid can get off of a murder charge excuse me four murder charges think what we will let our idols get off with.

CTE is just another excuse for people to use. the real victims will be drown out. kind of like medical marijuana.
    That will always be a problem. One of the America's biggest problem is disability scamming (insurance fraud)....from people also lying about how they cannot work so they can sit back and collect a check...we all know a person like this.

Gold Member

That will always be a problem. One of the America's biggest problem is disability scamming (insurance fraud)....from people also lying about how they cannot work so they can sit back and collect a check...we all know a person like this.
    sad but true.