Thread: New cage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: New cage

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Yeah that is kind of crazy. I miss it. Every day it's above 45 degrees I miss it. Hopefully some day in the reasonable future I'll be back on two. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\NATHAN~1.MON\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlcl ip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

No to the WRX. The one I had turned out to be CRAZY buggy because of the crap the previous owner had done to it - it basically slowly ate itself from the inside. So I had one of the WRX shops help me fake it's reliability long enough to go trade it in to a dealer and got a Mazda 6 for a few years until I got the new rig. I was considering going back to a WRX - but the spousal unit hated how low the WRX sat - and given this is intended to be our daily commuter so we don't burn up the miles on her lease as much as we were - I had to look at vehicles she was comfortable driving too.

Fortunately - she loves this one too, not as much as I do I think, but she digs it.
    Yeah some days I really miss it; especially when I see a bunch of bikes go by and brings back memories. After so many years and seeing some horrible crashes, I am sure you know what I mean since you have been in this club as long as I am, I felt it was time to take a break….guess it is party of getting old and wiser I plan to get back on one day, but am probably done with the superbikes and get me something more comfy like a VFR.

That is one reason I have left my WRX stock (engine wise). I modded all my cars previously and it became a pain with emissions and proper tuning. I’ve been very happy with the WRX though and it has enough power to let me have fun, but not too much where I get in trouble. Funny as I am in opposite situation as my WRX is a manual transmission and my wife doesn’t know how to drive one. At times it is nice she never drives my car, but then other times in can be a pain because if we take my car I am stuck driving no matter what. She has a small SUV Rouge, so it kind of works out, but her vehicle is not fun to drive at all.

You can do a “Hoopty” (Dave) and buy an old cheap Subaru and wrench on it as a side project; his WRX and STI are gone after the wifey and baby came . He has some Legacy GT done up pretty well and he bought it for next to nothing.

P.S. Don’t listen to Aaron…he needs these fancy “assistance” device vehicles to drive like a boss! Not like us old guys that grew up on relying on pure skill! Just kidding Aaron, but it is cool your generation has things I never had; dual transmission, launch assistance, paddle shifters, traction control, etc. I have a young buddy who we argue about this all the time for fun because he has a fancy BMW with all these goodies, but can’t even drive a stick.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Yeah some days I really miss it; especially when I see a bunch of bikes go by and brings back memories. After so many years and seeing some horrible crashes, I am sure you know what I mean since you have been in this club as long as I am, I felt it was time to take a break….guess it is party of getting old and wiser I plan to get back on one day, but am probably done with the superbikes and get me something more comfy like a VFR.

That is one reason I have left my WRX stock (engine wise). I modded all my cars previously and it became a pain with emissions and proper tuning. I’ve been very happy with the WRX though and it has enough power to let me have fun, but not too much where I get in trouble. Funny as I am in opposite situation as my WRX is a manual transmission and my wife doesn’t know how to drive one. At times it is nice she never drives my car, but then other times in can be a pain because if we take my car I am stuck driving no matter what. She has a small SUV Rouge, so it kind of works out, but her vehicle is not fun to drive at all.

You can do a “Hoopty” (Dave) and buy an old cheap Subaru and wrench on it as a side project; his WRX and STI are gone after the wifey and baby came . He has some Legacy GT done up pretty well and he bought it for next to nothing.

P.S. Don’t listen to Aaron…he needs these fancy “assistance” device vehicles to drive like a boss! Not like us old guys that grew up on relying on pure skill! Just kidding Aaron, but it is cool your generation has things I never had; dual transmission, launch assistance, paddle shifters, traction control, etc. I have a young buddy who we argue about this all the time for fun because he has a fancy BMW with all these goodies, but can’t even drive a stick.
    Yeah - it's different for me when I had all kids that were getting older / "old enough" but then the whole having a new baby thing sort of changed my perspective like it did 15 years ago or so - I need to take a break, spend some time with him so if something bad does befall me one day out on two --- he'll remember me / have memories. Not sure if that is older, wiser, or what --- but it's where I'm at for the moment.

My spousal can't drive a manual either (ooooh how I miss the feel of a clutch and short throw shift cycle) - that was a big factor for sure too. And unfortunately I can't do a "Hoopty"... I have ZERO mechanical skills... I'm lucky to be able to change my oil myself let alone wrench on something. I have dreams of restoring a muscle car or old truck one day - but I know the truth of it would be I'd buy it and send it to a shop to restore for me because I'd get too frustrated too quick.

My 2nd car was a 61 Ford Falcon... manual steering, 3 on the tree, traction of a squirrel on ice with no nails... oh yeah... I know manual skills! I kind of miss it - but I'll tell you - I'm digging the luxury. I'm digging the luxury BIG TIME.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Oh don't even start with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Oh don't even start with me!
    Nice....the stick shift is a dying breed so glad to hear they are still being bought. I went to buy a Lancer Evo (before the WRX) and all they had were autos....they gave me the spill about "dual transmission" shifting faster, but to me there is no comparison. Luckily all the WRX/STI's were stick shift.

Even now I drive a auto and feels so weird and people think it is crazy, but I am so used to using my clutch I get lost. Then in the snow I am even more lost on a auto.....what I can't downshift to slow down!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!