Thread: New cage

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

New cage

So I've been off 2 for a year now...
    And I finally decided to treat myself to a new(er) 4 wheels finally - since I probably won't be back on 2 for a while.

I went COMPLETE opposite the direction I thought I would. I went "screw the MPG - I want the POWER TO GO ANYWHERE." Maybe now I'll finally go ghost town hunting the way I've always wanted to after 32 years in the great CO.

I put on running boards this weekend, and will be doing a little de-badging work soon. Otherwise - I've never been happier with a 4 wheel vehicle as this one in my life. My WRX wasn't even this nice / enjoyable to drive... which I thought I'd never hear myself say. Then again - I never thought I'd own a SUV either.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...6e&oe=5787E363
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12439284_10209043073619116_6950493870088791921_n.j pg?oh=87e799e2fc6d32e85230f6094095fef1&oe=577A30FD

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...6e&oe=5787F04A
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...ff&oe=5774E990
    Last edited by Vance; Mon Apr 11th, 2016 at 02:07 PM.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Re: New cage

Good for you.

I thought I recognized your name/avatar when I saw it over on Jeepgarage. I too just got my first Jeep (a bit newer and fancier than yours...2016 Summit). Congrats on the war wagon acquisition. I call mine Scarlett.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

The new Grands are super nice, some of the nicest SUV's out there. My Mom has a 2011 Overland Hemi, and that thing is pimped out. Panoramic sunroof, air cooled seats, heated steering wheel, adjustable height suspension, etc. The improvement from the WK1 is staggering.

That being said, the steering is about as communicative and responsive as a school bus, the armrests are far enough apart to have 2 people in the driver's seat, and with the extra 1,000lbs they added, even the 5.7 engine feels underpowered to me.

Nice ride Vance

I am still catching up with you as I have been off two wheels for a couple years too, but I bought a new WRX to treat myself. I'd sure love to have a Jeep too. Do you have both now?

Crazy how fast time flies as us old school members were the ones always riding and now we are talking about how we have taken time off from riding.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post
    I thought I recognized your name/avatar when I saw it over on Jeepgarage. I too just got my first Jeep (a bit newer and fancier than yours...2016 Summit). Congrats on the war wagon acquisition. I call mine Scarlett.
    Well there you go then! I do tend to be very consistent in my avatar - not necessarily my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    That being said, the steering is about as communicative and responsive as a school bus, the armrests are far enough apart to have 2 people in the driver's seat, and with the extra 1,000lbs they added, even the 5.7 engine feels underpowered to me.
    On the WK2? Because I've found it to be extremely responsive and very good on the power to me... but then again I'm coming off a little 4 cyl under 170hp sedan. The handling and ergos haven't been a problem for me either thus far -far and wide the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Nice ride Vance

I am still catching up with you as I have been off two wheels for a couple years too, but I bought a new WRX to treat myself. I'd sure love to have a Jeep too. Do you have both now?

Crazy how fast time flies as us old school members were the ones always riding and now we are talking about how we have taken time off from riding.
    Yeah that is kind of crazy. I miss it. Every day it's above 45 degrees I miss it. Hopefully some day in the reasonable future I'll be back on two.

No to the WRX. The one I had turned out to be CRAZY buggy because of the crap the previous owner had done to it - it basically slowly ate itself from the inside. So I had one of the WRX shops help me fake it's reliability long enough to go trade it in to a dealer and got a Mazda 6 for a few years until I got the new rig. I was considering going back to a WRX - but the spousal unit hated how low the WRX sat - and given this is intended to be our daily commuter so we don't burn up the miles on her lease as much as we were - I had to look at vehicles she was comfortable driving too.

Fortunately - she loves this one too, not as much as I do I think, but she digs it.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Yeah that is kind of crazy. I miss it. Every day it's above 45 degrees I miss it. Hopefully some day in the reasonable future I'll be back on two. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\NATHAN~1.MON\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlcl ip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

No to the WRX. The one I had turned out to be CRAZY buggy because of the crap the previous owner had done to it - it basically slowly ate itself from the inside. So I had one of the WRX shops help me fake it's reliability long enough to go trade it in to a dealer and got a Mazda 6 for a few years until I got the new rig. I was considering going back to a WRX - but the spousal unit hated how low the WRX sat - and given this is intended to be our daily commuter so we don't burn up the miles on her lease as much as we were - I had to look at vehicles she was comfortable driving too.

Fortunately - she loves this one too, not as much as I do I think, but she digs it.
    Yeah some days I really miss it; especially when I see a bunch of bikes go by and brings back memories. After so many years and seeing some horrible crashes, I am sure you know what I mean since you have been in this club as long as I am, I felt it was time to take a break….guess it is party of getting old and wiser I plan to get back on one day, but am probably done with the superbikes and get me something more comfy like a VFR.

That is one reason I have left my WRX stock (engine wise). I modded all my cars previously and it became a pain with emissions and proper tuning. I’ve been very happy with the WRX though and it has enough power to let me have fun, but not too much where I get in trouble. Funny as I am in opposite situation as my WRX is a manual transmission and my wife doesn’t know how to drive one. At times it is nice she never drives my car, but then other times in can be a pain because if we take my car I am stuck driving no matter what. She has a small SUV Rouge, so it kind of works out, but her vehicle is not fun to drive at all.

You can do a “Hoopty” (Dave) and buy an old cheap Subaru and wrench on it as a side project; his WRX and STI are gone after the wifey and baby came . He has some Legacy GT done up pretty well and he bought it for next to nothing.

P.S. Don’t listen to Aaron…he needs these fancy “assistance” device vehicles to drive like a boss! Not like us old guys that grew up on relying on pure skill! Just kidding Aaron, but it is cool your generation has things I never had; dual transmission, launch assistance, paddle shifters, traction control, etc. I have a young buddy who we argue about this all the time for fun because he has a fancy BMW with all these goodies, but can’t even drive a stick.

Yeah some days I really miss it; especially when I see a bunch of bikes go by and brings back memories. After so many years and seeing some horrible crashes, I am sure you know what I mean since you have been in this club as long as I am, I felt it was time to take a break….guess it is party of getting old and wiser I plan to get back on one day, but am probably done with the superbikes and get me something more comfy like a VFR.

That is one reason I have left my WRX stock (engine wise). I modded all my cars previously and it became a pain with emissions and proper tuning. I’ve been very happy with the WRX though and it has enough power to let me have fun, but not too much where I get in trouble. Funny as I am in opposite situation as my WRX is a manual transmission and my wife doesn’t know how to drive one. At times it is nice she never drives my car, but then other times in can be a pain because if we take my car I am stuck driving no matter what. She has a small SUV Rouge, so it kind of works out, but her vehicle is not fun to drive at all.

You can do a “Hoopty” (Dave) and buy an old cheap Subaru and wrench on it as a side project; his WRX and STI are gone after the wifey and baby came . He has some Legacy GT done up pretty well and he bought it for next to nothing.

P.S. Don’t listen to Aaron…he needs these fancy “assistance” device vehicles to drive like a boss! Not like us old guys that grew up on relying on pure skill! Just kidding Aaron, but it is cool your generation has things I never had; dual transmission, launch assistance, paddle shifters, traction control, etc. I have a young buddy who we argue about this all the time for fun because he has a fancy BMW with all these goodies, but can’t even drive a stick.
    Yeah - it's different for me when I had all kids that were getting older / "old enough" but then the whole having a new baby thing sort of changed my perspective like it did 15 years ago or so - I need to take a break, spend some time with him so if something bad does befall me one day out on two --- he'll remember me / have memories. Not sure if that is older, wiser, or what --- but it's where I'm at for the moment.

My spousal can't drive a manual either (ooooh how I miss the feel of a clutch and short throw shift cycle) - that was a big factor for sure too. And unfortunately I can't do a "Hoopty"... I have ZERO mechanical skills... I'm lucky to be able to change my oil myself let alone wrench on something. I have dreams of restoring a muscle car or old truck one day - but I know the truth of it would be I'd buy it and send it to a shop to restore for me because I'd get too frustrated too quick.

My 2nd car was a 61 Ford Falcon... manual steering, 3 on the tree, traction of a squirrel on ice with no nails... oh yeah... I know manual skills! I kind of miss it - but I'll tell you - I'm digging the luxury. I'm digging the luxury BIG TIME.

Nice whip. If you get serious about ghost town hunting, you'll want to replace the running boards with rock sliders at some point, the mining roads to some of the places can beat up stock running boards. I began with stock tires and stock running boards on my Frontier and went to more aggressive / taller tires and rock sliders after denting up the stock ones on boulders.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Nice whip. If you get serious about ghost town hunting, you'll want to replace the running boards with rock sliders at some point, the mining roads to some of the places can beat up stock running boards. I began with stock tires and stock running boards on my Frontier and went to more aggressive / taller tires and rock sliders after denting up the stock ones on boulders.
    Noted, thanks!

I wasn't thinking anything too ridiculous - just some of those that I was told wouldn't be accessible by the WRX or the Mazda because of clearance issues.
    I am still unsure about that. It was a goal when I was still doing photography, but since I'm pretty much out of that game entirely, it is more of a "wish list" just to check them out thing instead of a "YEAH! I'm off with some models and gear and running" thing.

Oh don't even start with me!

Oh don't even start with me!
    Nice....the stick shift is a dying breed so glad to hear they are still being bought. I went to buy a Lancer Evo (before the WRX) and all they had were autos....they gave me the spill about "dual transmission" shifting faster, but to me there is no comparison. Luckily all the WRX/STI's were stick shift.

Even now I drive a auto and feels so weird and people think it is crazy, but I am so used to using my clutch I get lost. Then in the snow I am even more lost on a auto.....what I can't downshift to slow down!

Nice looking Jeep! Did you go with the Hemi? We have been very happy with the power that ours has. Ours is the original Trailhawk version that came with the Quadra-Drive, Quadra-Lift and rock rails. I haven't taken it off-road too much yet

If you don't have good mats, PM me. We have a set of the OEM mud mats in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Nice looking Jeep! Did you go with the Hemi? We have been very happy with the power that ours has. Ours is the original Trailhawk version that came with the Quadra-Drive, Quadra-Lift and rock rails. I haven't taken it off-road too much yet

If you don't have good mats, PM me. We have a set of the OEM mud mats in storage.
    No, no Hemi. She's a daily commuter so I wanted to get some semblance of reasonable MPG.

I really liked the Trailhawk on the smaller Cherokee - which got me looking at SUVs in the first place when I started narrowing the options and eliminated about 7 options, leaving only 2 sedans I liked... so I drove it, and the Kia Sportage, then on lunch one day made the mistake of test driving the Grand Cherokee... and just outright fell in love with it. I'm not really a big off-road guy, except maybe a once a year camping trip,... but that isn't going to places that are off the grid - they're "designated" grounds, so semi-groomed trails... so going with like the Overland or the Summit with the whole adjustable suspension and such seemed like overkill for my utilization.

Thanks - but I got the all weather mats for the whole thing, including the cargo space, already.

All 3 cars I own have clutch pedals! Unless it isn't offered with one, I won't buy a car that's missing a pedal. When I started searching for my new BMW, some sites list the DCT cars as M/T. I was getting so pissed off of salesmen telling me how much better it was.

All 3 cars I own have clutch pedals! Unless it isn't offered with one, I won't buy a car that's missing a pedal. When I started searching for my new BMW, some sites list the DCT cars as M/T. I was getting so pissed off of salesmen telling me how much better it was.
    Yeah I only owned one automatic car and that was my first car at age 14; old Buick Regal. I had nobody to really teach me manual so when I bought my second car a year later, a Volkswagen Golf GTI, I bought it with a manual transmission and asked my mom to drive it home. I figured if I had no car to learn on, I’d learn on my own car and nobody could complain I was hurting their clutch.

Quality Mitsubishi did the same to me and kept giving me the spill on how DCT transmission will shift faster than any shift I could do on a manual……which I understand, but they could not get that I just preferred a stick shift because I don’t care about a faster shift, I am more in control with a manual. Of course they just wanted to make a sale, but I heard that the speech of how much better it was and how this was the future of sportcars.

I just hope it does not stop and they keep making them….for sportcars at least as it seems harder and harder to find them.

My Audi A3 had DCT, it was fast and fun to paddle shift. But nowhere as rewarding as a perfectly executed 3-2 heel toe downshift.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...