Thread: PMP track days

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: PMP track days

Everyone -

Give these folks a break - they were just awarded the contract a month ago. Running a racetrack is HUGE endeavor, so OF COURSE they are doing what they know first. To them that's the low hanging fruit and a way to get revenue that they know how to make in the bank account.

Most organizations that run racetracks schedule their events as much as a YEAR in advance - I think it's quite amazing that they have ANYTHING on the calendar, much less stage events that are outside of their wheelhouse.

Make your wants and needs known, but there is NO REASON to be mad or oppositional at this point. Instead of "demanding" something, why not ask what you can do to help put the events you want on the calendar? They might need all of our help to get this thing back off the ground.

Seriously - you have no idea how hard this is.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Everyone -

Give these folks a break - they were just awarded the contract a month ago. Running a racetrack is HUGE endeavor, so OF COURSE they are doing what they know first. To them that's the low hanging fruit and a way to get revenue that they know how to make in the bank account.

Most organizations that run racetracks schedule their events as much as a YEAR in advance - I think it's quite amazing that they have ANYTHING on the calendar, much less stage events that are outside of their wheelhouse.

Make your wants and needs known, but there is NO REASON to be mad or oppositional at this point. Instead of "demanding" something, why not ask what you can do to help put the events you want on the calendar? They might need all of our help to get this thing back off the ground.

Scott
    Nuff said.....
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

Everyone -

Scott
    Rybo, there's not a whole lot I've ever disagreed with you on. However, this I must disagree.

Here's why:

My biggest issue is not so much with the company that took over the track. But the way they are doing it. I can't think of one successful and flourishing business that would decided to take over another business endeavor and not have a plan of implementation to take full effect the moment they obtain control of the park. This isn't one of those cases where you can just "make it up" as you go along. There should have been a complete business plan in place and a plan of implementation.

What I think is happening is that they are getting enough feedback from road racers and now they are having to back peddle and look more into actually running the road course. When I saw who won the contract, I knew exactly what was going to happen. Drag Strip would be #1 always, and the road course somewhere between #2 and #10 depending on their mood for the day.

I myself am not mad, nor am I opposed to the company. I understand that running a racetrack is very tough and very hard on those who are trying to run it. Yet, that's what they signed up for, they wanted to run it and just because it's hard doesn't mean we have to take it easy on them. I also wasn't born last night and I know exactly how they are going to treat the road course if they get their way. I also know that the road course wasn't a blip on their radar until they started hearing from people who like the road course.

And I don't think anyone here(least not how I read others comments) was implying anyone was demanding service. Also, I have to disagree with calling them up and asking what I can do to help. Other than paying for my track fees(which I'll gladly do, always), can't really see as there is much to offer. Again, if these same people were willing to lobby to get the former track management removed, then I don't think they need my help in running their new business, because they got what they asked for in my opinion.

As far as volunteering to help, yeah I don't do that. I can't see volunteering my time to help someone who's supposed to know what they are doing. It may come across as selfish or self-serving but time is money to someone like myself. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow much free time to get down there, as now it seems that all open track days will be on Friday, and that I'll have to schedule in with work.

Lastly, I'm not venting at you or anyone per se. What I am irritated with and more or less disappointed at, is the fact that the old track manager was basically run out via a witch hunt(and that's another story altogether for another time). I guess I expected this much more professional company to have taken over and have this up and running 100 times better than they former track management company that was so much complained about. I would leave the follow phrase for the company in charge....

“Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part”.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Chocolate Thunder

I just learned the Motorcycle Open Lapping is based on how many motorcycles we get for the day. We have to make sure that we cover the cost of our insurance and the ambulance. As soon as we finalize the number we need we will let you know, but those are the dates as long as we get the bikes. I hope you are ok with that. Like we have stated from the beginning we are a community and we want ALL racing and ALL racers. No one left behind.

This is also a email I received from them. There will be ambulances....
    Last edited by Drama2; Wed Apr 13th, 2016 at 08:14 PM.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    I just learned the Motorcycle Open Lapping is based on how many motorcycles we get for the day. We have to make sure that we cover the cost of our insurance and the ambulance. As soon as we finalize the number we need we will let you know, but those are the dates as long as we get the bikes. I hope you are ok with that. Like we have stated from the beginning we are a community and we want ALL racing and ALL racers. No one left behind.

This is also a email I received from them. There will be ambulances....
    From the way you're wording your comments, I assume you are working for the new organization that is running PMP? Do appreciate the comments and feedback you're giving us here. Honestly, have gotten more info out of you, than the track website. I'm for sure already planning on doing the open track days. That's what I was hoping for, just the opportunity to be able to get back to just some good old open lapping days at a track that I really love to ride. I'm all for the added safety and extra insurance. Makes sense and I like it.

I'm for sure planning on the May 13th and I'd like to get in both days for June and July. We'll see how it pans out because of work. Thanks for the info though,
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    From the way you're wording your comments, I assume you are working for the new organization that is running PMP? Do appreciate the comments and feedback you're giving us here. Honestly, have gotten more info out of you, than the track website. I'm for sure already planning on doing the open track days. That's what I was hoping for, just the opportunity to be able to get back to just some good old open lapping days at a track that I really love to ride. I'm all for the added safety and extra insurance. Makes sense and I like it.

I'm for sure planning on the May 13th and I'd like to get in both days for June and July. We'll see how it pans out because of work. Thanks for the info though,
    I believe she is cutting and pasting the response from the new operators after various communications back and forth.

Drama2 doesn't work for the new management. She is just hooked on track days now and wants PMP open lapping

Best course of action with this group running the track is to voice concerns. If they won't listen, talk to Pueblo City Council. Unless the new group has a change of heart from before Fasstt was outed at the city council meetings, they are drag strip focused in their intentions for PMP. Pueblo City council changed management to address the concerns of the drag racing community. This doesn't mean the new management can blow off the road race community.

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    There will be ambulances....

Site Admin

TBK -

I certainly respect your opinion and disagreement, but consider it from a slightly different perspective.

I turn a wrench pretty well - so let's say I find a beat up old car that I want to restore. I know what I'm doing, but also have some degree of resource constraint (money or time) as all businesses do.

In my restoration project I don't tear the whole thing apart buy new parts for everything and put it all back together in a week - that blows my resource constraints out of the water, so I prioritize my work. I make sure that the engine, transmission, brakes and tires are good so that I can drive the thing around some. Then I pay attention to the shocks, wipers and so forth and finish by doing the paint and upholstery. This is something that takes time and energy to do and I'm going to play either to my strengths (the things I know how to do well) first or the most important things first.

In the case of PMP it looks to me like those two things coincide for the group that took over. 1) The RFP from the city had a MANDATORY number of drag racing events as a part of the requirements. The group that took over is comprised primarily of drag racers, so they both identified the most important thing (as dictated by the city) and played to their strength.

It looks like in the past 24 hours they've posted some open lapping days as well, so they are hearing us and making changes to serve the community as a whole. I'm just suggesting that a little patience goes a long way in situations like these.

As far as volunteering - I don't think that has to be some grand effort, but if they ask you for your opinion, or how you can make it better, then offer that knowledge to them. It's really that simple.

The real problem here is numbers. We are a small percentage (track riders) of a small percentage (road motorcyclists) of a small percentage (motorcycle owners) of the general population. We have to cooperate with the organizations that are trying to serve us if we want this to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Rybo, there's not a whole lot I've ever disagreed with you on. However, this I must disagree.

Here's why:

My biggest issue is not so much with the company that took over the track. But the way they are doing it. I can't think of one successful and flourishing business that would decided to take over another business endeavor and not have a plan of implementation to take full effect the moment they obtain control of the park. This isn't one of those cases where you can just "make it up" as you go along. There should have been a complete business plan in place and a plan of implementation.

What I think is happening is that they are getting enough feedback from road racers and now they are having to back peddle and look more into actually running the road course. When I saw who won the contract, I knew exactly what was going to happen. Drag Strip would be #1 always, and the road course somewhere between #2 and #10 depending on their mood for the day.

I myself am not mad, nor am I opposed to the company. I understand that running a racetrack is very tough and very hard on those who are trying to run it. Yet, that's what they signed up for, they wanted to run it and just because it's hard doesn't mean we have to take it easy on them. I also wasn't born last night and I know exactly how they are going to treat the road course if they get their way. I also know that the road course wasn't a blip on their radar until they started hearing from people who like the road course.

And I don't think anyone here(least not how I read others comments) was implying anyone was demanding service. Also, I have to disagree with calling them up and asking what I can do to help. Other than paying for my track fees(which I'll gladly do, always), can't really see as there is much to offer. Again, if these same people were willing to lobby to get the former track management removed, then I don't think they need my help in running their new business, because they got what they asked for in my opinion.

As far as volunteering to help, yeah I don't do that. I can't see volunteering my time to help someone who's supposed to know what they are doing. It may come across as selfish or self-serving but time is money to someone like myself. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow much free time to get down there, as now it seems that all open track days will be on Friday, and that I'll have to schedule in with work.

Lastly, I'm not venting at you or anyone per se. What I am irritated with and more or less disappointed at, is the fact that the old track manager was basically run out via a witch hunt(and that's another story altogether for another time). I guess I expected this much more professional company to have taken over and have this up and running 100 times better than they former track management company that was so much complained about. I would leave the follow phrase for the company in charge....

“Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part”.

TBK -

I certainly respect your opinion and disagreement, but consider it from a slightly different perspective.

I turn a wrench pretty well - so let's say I find a beat up old car that I want to restore. I know what I'm doing, but also have some degree of resource constraint (money or time) as all businesses do.

In my restoration project I don't tear the whole thing apart buy new parts for everything and put it all back together in a week - that blows my resource constraints out of the water, so I prioritize my work. I make sure that the engine, transmission, brakes and tires are good so that I can drive the thing around some. Then I pay attention to the shocks, wipers and so forth and finish by doing the paint and upholstery. This is something that takes time and energy to do and I'm going to play either to my strengths (the things I know how to do well) first or the most important things first.

In the case of PMP it looks to me like those two things coincide for the group that took over. 1) The RFP from the city had a MANDATORY number of drag racing events as a part of the requirements. The group that took over is comprised primarily of drag racers, so they both identified the most important thing (as dictated by the city) and played to their strength.

It looks like in the past 24 hours they've posted some open lapping days as well, so they are hearing us and making changes to serve the community as a whole. I'm just suggesting that a little patience goes a long way in situations like these.

As far as volunteering - I don't think that has to be some grand effort, but if they ask you for your opinion, or how you can make it better, then offer that knowledge to them. It's really that simple.

The real problem here is numbers. We are a small percentage (track riders) of a small percentage (road motorcyclists) of a small percentage (motorcycle owners) of the general population. We have to cooperate with the organizations that are trying to serve us if we want this to be successful.
    The RFP required a mandatory # of drag racing AND road course events (both). A review of previous balance sheets showed the road course was more profitable than drag racing operations(at least in the last couple years IIRC). The Financials for past operation were provided to anyone as part of the RFP process. The city did not have a bias or dictate drag racing vs road course operation in the RFP when I read it.

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by RPMWFO View Post
    The RFP required a mandatory # of drag racing AND road course events (both). A review of previous balance sheets showed the road course was more profitable than drag racing operations(at least in the last couple years IIRC). The Financials for past operation were provided to anyone as part of the RFP process. The city did not have a bias or dictate drag racing vs road course operation in the RFP when I read it.
    A point well taken.

My main point was that the team taking control was playing to their strengths. Also that they really just got control of the property and from what I know of how they are working with the MRA - they are taking roadracing into consideration pretty strongly.

I've been fighting similar battles over here in Utah with the sale of the Miller Motorsports Park. We had a very sketchy period where a judge invalidated a sale and the county had to take alternate action to assure that the facility remained open. It put our racing season at risk and I had to become a bit of a political activist to assure that we still had a racetrack. As a result I've become well versed it what it takes to make an organization that tries to operate a racetrack run.

Give these folks a chance. Attend some of the events. In the end how we speak with our dollars is way more important than how we talk on a forum.

Chocolate Thunder

I agree, that is why I am posting everywhere, the more dollars that show up the more they will invite. So with this all said, guys /gals I am asking you to speak, ask and communicate with them. They opened up track days, yes ai know it is mostly Friday but they heard and that is a small step.

A point well taken.

My main point was that the team taking control was playing to their strengths. Also that they really just got control of the property and from what I know of how they are working with the MRA - they are taking roadracing into consideration pretty strongly.

I've been fighting similar battles over here in Utah with the sale of the Miller Motorsports Park. We had a very sketchy period where a judge invalidated a sale and the county had to take alternate action to assure that the facility remained open. It put our racing season at risk and I had to become a bit of a political activist to assure that we still had a racetrack. As a result I've become well versed it what it takes to make an organization that tries to operate a racetrack run.

Give these folks a chance. Attend some of the events. In the end how we speak with our dollars is way more important than how we talk on a forum.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php