Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF….Conor McGregor Announces His Retirement

WTF….Conor McGregor Announces His Retirement

Wow, so the UFC circus just got crazier and after a beef with Dana White over Conor flying to Vegas to do a promotional appearance. Conor refused to leave his training in Iceland to do the promotion and Dana White pulled him off the 200 card. So in retaliation Conor McGregor tweets that he is retiring! Many thought it was a hoax or a hacker, but it appears to be true and only time will tell if Conor will ever be back in the UFC Octagon.

I am bummed as he is an exciting fighter and I was looking forward to him fighting Nate Diaz and then going back and defending his title against the winner of Edgar vs Aldo.

This is one of the biggest power moves a fighter has done against UFC, but I feel UFC has monopolized the MMA game so I am glad someone is sticking up to them; he and Ronda are probably the only two fighters with enough power to do this. I do get that this is part of Conor’s job though, so I do see UFC point of view also….guess I am just sick of how they treat their fighters nowadays.

UFC better be careful because very few people understand that Bellator is owned by Viacom who is way bigger than UFC and has more money (they own MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, BET, Paramount, VH1, SpikeTV….nearly 170 networks) so if they really want to compete with UFC they have the money to do it; plus IMO the best promoter in the business, Scott Coker (easily better than Dana White). So if they went full force into MMA it could be a bigger competitor to UFC than they may realize. They just need to bring in better talent, but with more and more fighters not liking UFC it opens the doors (Benson Henderson makes his debut fight on Bellator this weekend).

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/15...d-retire-young

Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 20th, 2016 at 08:01 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: WTF….Conor McGregor Announces His Retirement

I was wondering if it was just Conner being the usual noise maker. Now it seems he may be making noise for a good result vs just making noise to get people's goat.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I was wondering if it was just Conner being the usual noise maker. Now it seems he may be making noise for a good result vs just making noise to get people's goat.
    Yeah I think fighters are just getting tired of UFC bullying them as if they are disposable. Conor leaving UFC will make them lose tons of money as him and Ronda are the biggest PPV draws currently. I do kind of hate how UFC is ran more like WWE than a real sport since this was all about promotions to UFC, but to Conor is was about disturbing his training (I am sure he knows this rematch with Nate is very important to his career). Fighters have been complaining about this for years and I could see how rough it could be to stop training to fly from Iceland to Vegas, but to UFC they don’t care… I am not sure if Conor knew this promotion was coming or if it was a unexpected request.

Even GSP wants to come back, but won’t because of the Reebok deal. I am sure he was getting over $200K+ a fight in endorsements alone and now he may get $20K from Reebok.

Dang, UFC is slick. Appears Conor is under contract and it will never expire unless he fulfils it; by fighting. So right now even if Conor retires he will be under contract and not allowed to fight anywhere else. So he either retires for good or fights in UFC…no other options. The UFC contracts makers are smart!

I understand the promotional stuff is required, but flying half way around the world 3 months before the fight does seem like a bit much.

Apparently Conor was ringside at a fight a week ago where someone died from injuries sustained. I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    I understand the promotional stuff is required, but flying half way around the world 3 months before the fight does seem like a bit much.

Apparently Conor was ringside at a fight a week ago where someone died from injuries sustained. I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well.
    Yeah I guess it was Conor teammate who fought the guy that died; plus the fight was in Ireland and he was cage side. It affected Conor in some way as he did tweet about the fighter. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-...-conor-7791957

I actually argued with my buddy yesterday because he said it would have no bearing on this, but being a person who has seen a person die, I can say it is more traumatic than most people realize. Then considering it happen the same way Conor make his living would make me think it had to affect him in some ways.

Have you seen the tape of the guy that died? I am shocked because it does not apper to be anything unusual and seems like a normal MMA fight with a proper stoppage. I was expecting some huge beatdown or a bad ref stoppage, but nope. To me that is even scarier because it shows one KO can kill a person.

Here is the fight:
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 20th, 2016 at 11:04 AM.

Wow, agree about the fight he died in. Nothing look amiss, just a normal stoppage.

If anyone could have died from a knockout, it would have been Uriah Hall's TUF kick to Adam Cella.

Just saw a couple updates on my phone, looks like the "retire" talk may be a bit of an overstatement (from the UFC's perspective). More of a "misunderstanding" about him getting pulled from the 200 event.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Gold Member

I'm just curious here. how is the UFC a monopoly? if the fighters hate the UFC so much why don't they all just walk?

we are talking about fighters here. are they just afraid of Dana White?

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    I'm just curious here. how is the UFC a monopoly? if the fighters hate the UFC so much why don't they all just walk?

we are talking about fighters here. are they just afraid of Dana White?
    Well to make a long story short, UFC has bought up all their competition forcing fighters to only have UFC as a option as a career. At one time, Pride and Strikeforce were huge names in MMA and where some of their best talent came from (there have been others UFC bought out like WEC, Affliction, Glory, EFN, Shooto, etc) . These organizations were not as big as UFC, so Zuffa (their company) came in and bought out the entire company which forced these fighters who had contracts to go to UFC; only other option was to retire and find a new career. As with Conor he cannot fight anywhere else while he is under contract with UFC and since they book his fights, they can literally not give the fighter a fight and they are forced to sit and wait. If they try to fight outside UFC, then they will be sued. Yet UFC has made it where they can terminate a contract at will; especially after three loses. So basically it left fighters with no option other to play the UFC's game. UFC knows these fighters have very little option, so now they have went to screwing them by paying them less and less. Then to make it worse, UFC did a exclusive deal with Reebok which made UFC tons of money, but screwed the fighters out of getting their own endorsements; only Reebok is allowed and they pay a "captiation" to fighters that is way less than what they were making. So for the last few years the "monopolized" by being able to set the pay and endorsement. Bellator is the one organization that will not sell out to UFC and has broken a big part of their monopoly.

Fighters want to leave, but they are stuck in contracts. Many who have contracts that ended have went to Bellator and mopre and more are switching everyday. This really messes up UFC plans because now fighters have another option, but still everyone knows the best of the best are in UFC, but slowly that could change.

Only reason they are afraid of Dana is because he has proven to be a vindictive person and screwed over many fighters that went against him. Randy Couture is a legend, but they made it where he was under contract and he wanted out, so they just sidelined him till he retired (he is not even allowed to corner his own son who was in the UFC). Tito Ortiz was the first to tand up to to UFC and they have made his life pretty difficultsince. The list goes on and on, but if you read you will see many fighters just want more pay and to be treated than more than just a product; out with old in with new. I like to compare Dana to a NFL CEO; do you really ever hear them badmouthing their players....rarely happens. Yet you piss off Dana and he gets back; like taking Conor of the 200 card when he has been training for it.

Here is more about how the fighters are suing UFC for being a Monopoly http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/12...laims-monopoly
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 20th, 2016 at 05:02 PM.

I never liked this cocky cunt. He was under challenged and over rated. Let him retire and then figure out how he has no other skills.

I personally believe Conor's unwillingness to do promotional appearance has more behind then what it sounds like . I doubt he got called in with little notice. They know promotion is part of the fighting scene and the schedule of all those appearances. Who else in UFC loves doing them more than Conor!? They guy lives on the attention and he enjoys being in the spotlight. He moved his whole training camp to Vegas for the other fight he had in Vegas. It makes little sense that promo would be the main issue.
    I bet Conor wanted for more money or had some other requests that Dana did not want to give and so the promotional appearance became the reason it was escalated. Of course Dana would not talk about if there was anything like that so making the issue to be over the promo is the easiest xplanation.

Gold Member

okay first of all... bellator. unless you are going to argue that is some half ass cracked backwards bullshit nobody promotion.

these fighters were never forced into signing anything. UFC made their sandbox. these guys wanted to play in that sandbox. now they are sad about it. did they not read these contracts before signing it?

did they not have attorneys read these contracts before signing? my guess is no. they just wanted money. sorry they signed the contracts. they made a decision to agree to these obligations. screw them.

the UFC is here to make money. they aren't unicef. if so many fighters hate the UFC so much why in the hell are they still signing these contracts?

as far as I'm concerned either they were too stupid to read it or didn't bother and were blinded with the idea of being rich and famous.

you bring up Tito. all remember about Tito is always running his mouth and never backing it up. backing out of fights. crying about Dana. hell he even backed out of a boxing match with dana that Tito called for. I mean come on bro.

did you just bring up randy couture? the guy who was 43 years old and still fighting in the UFC? the organization that made him famous? how many acting jobs in Hollywood has he landed because of his fame in the ufc?

who else. gsp? that dude turned into another whiny little girl. actually I don't see a name on that suit that doesn't involve someone who seems to think they are bteer than what they actually turned out to be.

si basically here is where we are. UFC built this sport. like it or not they did. they have rules they set forth. you want to play in their sandbox you have to play by their rules.

there is other promotions out there that if these fighters really wanted they could choose to fight in besides UFC. they may not make the same kind of money or earn the same kind of fame but they are out there.

Man, you need to keep up with the sport; this came out this month and clearly shows how "The Grass is Greener on the other side" and great UFC fighters have already started to move over! http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nees-speak-out

And no fighter agreed to the Reebok deal; it was done by UFC and fighters had no choice....contracts didn't matter. I could see a fighter being pissed when they went from $200K in sponsorship to $20K....all to get their head punched. Compared to boxers, MMA are getting paid peanuts while UFC just keeps on making money.....so the already born rich Fertita brothers can get richer while fighters are going to be lucky to have money to retire. The problem is if fighters have no incentive to make big money, the sport will die because no new prospects will risk competing to make little money.....just not worth it.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Man, you need to keep up with the sport; this came out this month and clearly shows how "The Grass is Greener on the other side" and great UFC fighters have already started to move over! http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nees-speak-out

And no fighter agreed to the Reebok deal; it was done by UFC and fighters had no choice....contracts didn't matter. I could see a fighter being pissed when they went from $200K in sponsorship to $20K....all to get their head punched. Compared to boxers, MMA are getting paid peanuts while UFC just keeps on making money.....so the already born rich Fertita brothers can get richer while fighters are going to be lucky to have money to retire. The problem is if fighters have no incentive to make big money, the sport will die because no new prospects will risk competing to make little money.....just not worth it.
    lol so I guess the UFC isn't a monopoly. the Reebok deal? clearly there was something in their contract that allowed the UFC to pull this off.

I understand that you think dana is some evil man but come on bro. these guys are clearly not reading their contracts. they need to start dropping some money on lawyers BEFORE they sign these contracts.

boxing? did you just bring up boxing? well considering boxing still brings in more money than mma I'm guessing that's why their fighters get paid more than mma fighters.

I mean unless you think a fighter should earn more than what the promotion does. because once again... this is a business and not unicef.

hell if these disgruntled fighters are so pissed why don't they make their own promotional company? it is doable. they should have the money. I would hope anyways.

Yeah man I just magically made up that article where UFC is being sued for being a "monopoly" As you can see this is not my "opinion" but something that is actually in litigation.

Affliction tried to make their own, but it take a lot of money and they even went bankrupt from it. This is why Bellator (Viacom) could succeed since they actually have the money to do it. UFC just had the already rich Fertitta brothers that have backed them with revenue.

That is the point...the fighters DO NOT have the money to do this...exactly the problem. Most fighters do not get rich from UFC and have to invest or find other ways; clothing lines, property, commentary, etc. Then the Reebok deal took away their endorsement money and made it worse. Like I said it could cause it where no new prospects come into MMA because of the pay. Then Olympic wrestlers and college wrestlers will have no career after college in what they do; there biggest option is to go pro, but no pro wrestling so they adapt to MMA.
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Apr 21st, 2016 at 08:18 AM.

Gold Member

Yeah man I just magically made up that article where UFC is being sued for being a "monopoly" As you can see this is not my "opinion" but something that is actually in litigation.

Affliction tried to make their own, but it take a lot of money and they even went bankrupt from it. This is why Bellator (Viacom) could succeed since they actually have the money to do it. UFC just had the already rich Fertitta brothers that have backed them with revenue.

That is the point...the fighters DO NOT have the money to do this...exactly the problem. Most fighters do not get rich from UFC and have to invest or find other ways; clothing lines, property, commentary, etc. Then the Reebok deal took away their endorsement money and made it worse. Like I said it could cause it where no new prospects come into MMA because of the pay. Then Olympic wrestlers and college wrestlers will have no career after college in what they do; there biggest option is to go pro, but no pro wrestling so they adapt to MMA.
    oh man you are right!! look at this pay!

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/lis...mma-net-worth/

I didn't say you made up the monopoly link. you said you feel it is one. I asked how that is. do you understand what a monopoly is? NFL? NASCAR? MLB? NHL?

basically what I like here is you don't want to hold the fighters accountable to their own actions. you want to pay them more than what they are worth.

I'm sorry dude but the numbers just aren't there. you wanted to bring boxing into this. okay well two boxing ppv events equals four UFC events.

maybe instead of CRYING about what the UFC is doing or how much money they make the fighters should do something about it themselves.

oh man you are right!! look at this pay!

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/lis...mma-net-worth/

I didn't say you made up the monopoly link. you said you feel it is one. I asked how that is. do you understand what a monopoly is? NFL? NASCAR? MLB? NHL?

basically what I like here is you don't want to hold the fighters accountable to their own actions. you want to pay them more than what they are worth.

I'm sorry dude but the numbers just aren't there. you wanted to bring boxing into this. okay well two boxing ppv events equals four UFC events.

maybe instead of CRYING about what the UFC is doing or how much money they make the fighters should do something about it themselves.
    Again, this is not my opinion….I am just telling you that UFC is being sued for being a “monopoly” and that fighters have spoken out how they have been screwed over and some have left UFC. Feel free to go tell a fighter like Benson Henderson that he is “crying” over it and let me know how that goes….please video tape it

Oh yeah, nearly everyone on that list, except Conor, has made a lot of that money outside of UFC or from sponsors. You really need to know your MMA a bit better man before you comment. I’d go through the list and show how those fighters have clothing lines (Tito, Faber, GSP), realestate (Faber, Chael), own companies (Fedor, Gracie, BJ), movies (Ronda, Rampage, Chuck, Randy) the list goes on. Just because someone is known in one area does not mean they did not use their money to get rich in other areas.

You ever heard of Jenna Jamison…..she didn’t get rich from Porn, but her line of adult toys! Same thing.
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Apr 21st, 2016 at 08:50 AM.

Gold Member

Wow, so the UFC circus just got crazier and after a beef with Dana White over Conor flying to Vegas to do a promotional appearance. Conor refused to leave his training in Iceland to do the promotion and Dana White pulled him off the 200 card. So in retaliation Conor McGregor tweets that he is retiring! Many thought it was a hoax or a hacker, but it appears to be true and only time will tell if Conor will ever be back in the UFC Octagon.

I am bummed as he is an exciting fighter and I was looking forward to him fighting Nate Diaz and then going back and defending his title against the winner of Edgar vs Aldo.

This is one of the biggest power moves a fighter has done against UFC, but I feel UFC has monopolized the MMA game so I am glad someone is sticking up to them; he and Ronda are probably the only two fighters with enough power to do this. I do get that this is part of Conor’s job though, so I do see UFC point of view also….guess I am just sick of how they treat their fighters nowadays.

UFC better be careful because very few people understand that Bellator is owned by Viacom who is way bigger than UFC and has more money (they own MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, BET, Paramount, VH1, SpikeTV….nearly 170 networks) so if they really want to compete with UFC they have the money to do it; plus IMO the best promoter in the business, Scott Coker (easily better than Dana White). So if they went full force into MMA it could be a bigger competitor to UFC than they may realize. They just need to bring in better talent, but with more and more fighters not liking UFC it opens the doors (Benson Henderson makes his debut fight on Bellator this weekend).

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/15...d-retire-young

Yes I agree with it, but way more than a opinion when it made it to court.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/1...wsuit-mma-news
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Apr 21st, 2016 at 08:57 AM.

Gold Member

Again, this is not my opinion….I am just telling you that UFC is being sued for being a “monopoly” and that fighters have spoken out how they have been screwed over and some have left UFC. Feel free to go tell a fighter like Benson Henderson that he is “crying” over it and let me know how that goes….please video tape it

Oh yeah, nearly everyone on that list, except Conor, has made a lot of that money outside of UFC or from sponsors. You really need to know your MMA a bit better man before you comment. I’d go through the list and show how those fighters have clothing lines (Tito, Faber, GSP), realestate (Faber, Chael), own companies (Fedor, Gracie, BJ), movies (Ronda, Rampage, Chuck, Randy) the list goes on. Just because someone is known in one area does not mean they did not use their money to get rich in other areas.

You ever heard of Jenna Jamison…..she didn’t get rich from Porn, but her line of adult toys! Same thing.
    lol! dude you think these guys would have any money without UFC?

you want to use a porn star as an example? okay. without the porn her sex toys wouldn't have sold SHIT.

without the UFC those fighters wouldnt have millions of dollars. thats why they signed these contracts. they wanted the fame. their fault. not UFC.

You are slipping back to the old Townie that just like to argue. So ok, man in hopes of not getting this thread locked I will agree with you......it is all the fighters fault and they should all be happy UFC even looked at them....they owe everything to them and should offer up their first born in appreciation

Gold Member

screw Dana White! screw the UFC!
    Last edited by #1Townie; Thu Apr 21st, 2016 at 09:25 AM.

Finally Conor issue his reponse:

Conor McGregor

1 hr ·

I am just trying to do my job and fight here.
    I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.
    I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.
    There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.
    50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this.
    Nothing else was going through my mind.
    It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.
    Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a fuck morning show did not get me this life.
    Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a fuck about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
    I'm coming for my revenge here.
    I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.
    With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.
    I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.
    I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
    But it was denied.
    There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.
    So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.
    And all with one tweet.
    Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.
    I must isolate myself now.
    I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.
    I can not dance for you this time.
    It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.
    Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.
    He came in with no shit to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.
    Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.
    I'm doing what I need for me now.
    It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way.
    I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.
    I am still ready to go for UFC 200.
    I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
    If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say.
    For the record also -
    For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -
    I AM NOT RETIRED.

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriou...60441947357435

Gold Member

just making sure I get this right. he made the highest earnings for an mma fight ever and now doesn't want to promote the ones who paid him that money?

just making sure I'm catching that right.