Thread: Bike or Car?

Bike or Car?

I've been looking at a new Yamaha FJR1300 to replace my '10 FJR. The new one has six speeds instead of five and it comes with electronic cruise control, which would be great. On the other hand, I didn't have much time for riding last year, and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do this year.

On a side note, I tore three of my right quad tendons and had reconstructive surgery in February (shiny new titanium bone anchors in my knee). Now, I'm still working to get normal strength and mobility in my leg. And to top it off, I just turned the big 4-9 a few days ago.

My other temptation is to sell the bike and get a car.

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

Re: Bike or Car?

The new FJRs sound really nice from the initial reviews. Would you be looking at the A or ES? The LED lighting all round would be a plus but the gen 3 reflectors were already pretty good. I don't think it needed a 6th but the helical gears and assist/slipper clutch are appealing. Like the way they fit the sixth in the same case too. Not sure if they've updated the cruise or traction control from the 13. The cruise works nice except for coming out of it via brake or button being a little sharp. And the traction control while on does allow a bit of wheel spin if you intentionally hamfist it. I've tried the touring fuel map mode a few times but don't see using it again outside of sudden snow encounter or the grandma wanting to 2 up. The new blue color looks nice in the sun but I'm kinda enjoying having a grey bike that I don't feel the compelled to wash all the time.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

I would go for the A model because I like to shift my own gears, plus it's few pounds lighter than the ES.

I wish Yamaha would offer more than one or two colors at a time. I thought the 2016 color choices were black or silver. (My current one is silver, and I like the color, so I would probably stick with it. But if I had a choice, I'd like a two-tone red/white or red/silver.)

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

Methinks you thinkin' of the European models that continue to offer more than one color per year (more units sell in that market I guess) and may still offer the AE model that has a semi-auto transmission. The ES model '14 and forward just added electronically adjustable suspension and for '16 also gets lean angle sensitive cornering lights. The rest of the gen 3 tech plus '16 LED headlights and 6 speed with slipper are available on the A model for less moolah. Just have to manually tune your forks and shock.
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...ing-motorcycle
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig